Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2012, 12:05 AM   #41 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

OurInsight - '06 Honda Insight
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3-Wheeler View Post
Hi Jim,

OK, finally got around to looking at pictures taken of the car with the tail on and off and have updated the fuel mileage logs to reflect this....

Tail was taken off car at 06-05-11 and found water logged

Tail was put back on car at 09-25-11 after painting with primer.

Happy number crunching Jim.

Jim.
I looked at the logs, but was unable to reach any conclusions from the tank fills. One of the best tanks occured when the tail was off the car, but your comments indicated a lot of FAS coasting on that tank. That could make a big difference in itself. Some of your later lower FE tanks were done with the tail on. I guess you are experimenting with a lot of stuff at once. I know you were concentrating mainly on trying to develop Crr by coastdown, so would not have expected much direct FE measurement. The overall tanks are very impressive, I just can't draw any FE conclusions from the data. Thanks for the good record

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-03-2012, 09:35 PM   #42 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

AlienMobile - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
90 day: 80.05 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimepting View Post
I looked at the logs, but was unable to reach any conclusions from the tank fills. One of the best tanks occured when the tail was off the car, but your comments indicated a lot of FAS coasting on that tank.
Actually Jim, I started doing key-off-FAS's before this time in the mileage logs. If you look back further, you should be able to see a comment about this. I have been driving and using this same technique with the FAS board installed, so you can consider this something that is *normal* to the data.

Quote:
That could make a big difference in itself. Some of your later lower FE tanks were done with the tail on. I guess you are experimenting with a lot of stuff at once.
Actually my driving technique is very consistent, even though the gas log does not reflect this. The dip in mileage is due mostly to the colder weather!!

Quote:
I know you were concentrating mainly on trying to develop Crr by coastdown, so would not have expected much direct FE measurement. The overall tanks are very impressive, I just can't draw any FE conclusions from the data. Thanks for the good record
Remember also that my speeds are at or lower than 40 mph most of the time, so any gain of the tail aero wise, is minimized at this slow speed, and as you mentioned, makes it harder to determine it's affect.

If you recall however, I did post an A-B test with the tail on/off about two years ago, at a speed of 56 mph. If I recall correctly, it showed an aero gain of about 18% at this speed.

Jim.

Reply  Post New Thread