Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Forum News & Feedback
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2011, 09:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Commercial rules

Hi, This question is for the head ecomodder moderator, founder or administrator. I'm new to posting on this site and have a question. I am a fabricator/builder/inventor by trade and would like to know your approach to commercial issues. Like for example. I recently built a temporary grille block off panel for my Saturn, as well as fabricated some clear acrylic panels for the headlight nacelles. I also replaced the side mirrors with cameras and installed two back up cameras. I posted photos and text in the 'aerodynamics' forums, it's about 10 items down under 'Saturn Bellypan'.

I'm so impressed with the mileage results my entrepreneurial instincts are kicking in and I'm thinking about making a vacuum mold for the grille block off plate and offering the grille plate and headlight covers as a kit for the 99 SC2 Saturns, and/or a side camera kit. Can you tell me what are your rules for talking about such things on the forums? I looked at the home page several times and can't find anything that addresses that. Can you give me guidance here so I don't tick everybody off? : )
Thanks.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-25-2011, 09:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,959 Times in 3,603 Posts
Hi orbywan -

You're welcome to talk up your aero kit on the site. The only thing you might want to be aware of is making actual MPG claims about the items without solid testing behind them.

Just FYI you might want to read: http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...uel-15251.html

and...

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...ery-11445.html

You have the advantage however of working on mods which are already known to improve fuel economy - the issue is just how much?

Welcome to the forum!
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Old 04-26-2011, 02:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

At this point it's just in the 'is this feasible' stage. That brings up a good point, what is the standard or most accepted way of measuring mpg gains?

I've seen an average of 10.4% gain over the stock configuration, just adding the grille block off plate and the using the covers on the headlight nacelles. I use before and after comparisons on a scan gauge, and figuring mpg for each fill up, driving the same 14 mile commute, same route, same speed, etc.

I rely mostly on the scan gauge data, from each commute leg, the per tank mileage differs quite a bit naturally because I also use the vehicle for in town quick trips.

Taking off the side mirrors and replacing them with cameras has not shown the gains I thought it would, but I haven't collected much data on that yet.

I'm 50/50 on that subject so far. My company has been building custom camera systems for vehicles the last 12 years so I'm super familiar with cameras, but I'm not sure the average driver would adapt safely to this scenario without a small 'cheater' mirror on each side. Testing 1,2,3....

I don't usually offer products for sale unless they are a no-brainer. That's why we haven't tried to market the on-demand hydrogen systems. There is merit there if it is done properly but it's too easy to screw up and too problematic for the average driver, in my opinion. If we go forward with the aero mods, the mileage claims will be conservative for sure. Thanks for the input.

Reply  Post New Thread