Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now
 

Reply  Post New Thread
 
Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2009, 11:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Troy, Pa.
Posts: 8,919

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Thanks: 1,369
Thanked 430 Times in 353 Posts
Comparison of two GM affiliate models

First, the 1991 Geo Storm:

Front Side View:

Rear Side View:


Drag coefficient: .31
Frontal Area: ??

Then, the Saturn SC1

Front Side View:


Rear Side View:


Drag Coefficient
: .318
Frontal Area: 2.06 Square Meters

Finally, the GM EV1!

Front Side View:


Rear Side View:


Drag Coefficient: .19
Frontal Area: 1.89 Square Meters.

Looks like for awhile, anyway, they were starting to "get it"... eh?

__________________
"┐ʞɐǝɹɟ ɐ ǝɹ,noʎ uǝɥʍ 'ʇı ʇ,usı 'ʎlǝuol s,ʇı"

  Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

   
Old 12-17-2009, 01:49 AM   #2 (permalink)
Getting BETTER Mileage
 
Jethro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Los Alamos, NM
Posts: 108

Lucky No 19 - '11 Ram 1500 Express ST

Venti - '13 Ram 2500 Tradesman
Thanks: 6
Thanked 18 Times in 8 Posts
Ah the SC1. My cousins GF had one.
It was great when the alternator mounting tab that was cast into the ENGINE BLOCK broke. That car was never fabulous at anything, but it sure ran for over 200k of an mindless neglectful female teenage driver.

I was quite impressed with the shape of 2 cars I saw today.
The Gen IV Mistu Eclipse and the Pontiac G6 Coupe.
Both seemed to be very much 'boattailed'
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 02:21 AM   #3 (permalink)
PokÚmoderator
 
cfg83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Southern California
Posts: 5,864

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
Thanks: 439
Thanked 528 Times in 355 Posts
Christ -

Yeah, the Storm and SC1 were always eerily similar, and were part of the faux-wraparound rear window treatment that you'd also see in Oldsmobiles.

I like to think of the late 80's and early 90's as the "aero era", if for no other reason, a lot of cars had below-headlight grills.

I always thought the Geo Storm was really small, but I guess it was in my mind :

Code:
Saturn SC1
Wheelbase   99.2 in (2,520 mm)
Length      173.2 in (4,399 mm)
Width       67.6 in (1,717 mm)
Height      50.6 in (1,285 mm)

Geo Storm
Wheelbase   96.5 in (2,451 mm)
Length	    163.4 in (4150 mm)
Width       66.7 in (1,694 mm)
Height      51.1 in (1,298 mm)
Curb weight 2,282 lb (1,035 kg)
Ok, the SC1 was about 10" longer. But the other dimensions are very comparable.

CarloSW2
__________________

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 02:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
aerohead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Sanger,Texas,U.S.A.
Posts: 11,288
Thanks: 18,180
Thanked 5,997 Times in 3,651 Posts
Storm/Impact 80-mpg car

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg83 View Post
Christ -

Yeah, the Storm and SC1 were always eerily similar, and were part of the faux-wraparound rear window treatment that you'd also see in Oldsmobiles.

I like to think of the late 80's and early 90's as the "aero era", if for no other reason, a lot of cars had below-headlight grills.

I always thought the Geo Storm was really small, but I guess it was in my mind :

Code:
Saturn SC1
Wheelbase   99.2 in (2,520 mm)
Length      173.2 in (4,399 mm)
Width       67.6 in (1,717 mm)
Height      50.6 in (1,285 mm)

Geo Storm
Wheelbase   96.5 in (2,451 mm)
Length	    163.4 in (4150 mm)
Width       66.7 in (1,694 mm)
Height      51.1 in (1,298 mm)
Curb weight 2,282 lb (1,035 kg)
Ok, the SC1 was about 10" longer. But the other dimensions are very comparable.

CarloSW2
I think that the Geo Storm was inferred when Paul MacCready made the claim that if one were to take the powertrain of a contemporary sport coupe and slip it under the body of the Impact/EV-1,that you'd have a 100-mpg car.
The Storm served as a test-mule for the Impact electronics and powertrain.
A couple years later,Ultralite,different looking,but identical Cd debuted with 100-mpg.
The longer Saturn had one of the lowest Road Load Horsepower ratings of any car tested by Car and Driver.
  Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to aerohead For This Useful Post:
Christ (12-19-2009)
Old 12-19-2009, 04:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
The PRC.
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Elsewhere.
Posts: 5,304
Thanks: 285
Thanked 535 Times in 384 Posts
Could I throw another GM product into the mix



Opel Calibra 1989-1997 - cd of 0.26 in 8v form (the 16v, turbo and V6s were worse).

Prior to this the Kadett E (aka Vauxhall Astra, Pontiac Le Mans, Daewoo all sorts) was also designed with aero in mind, including mostly having flat wheel covers skinny (i.e. Michelin X) tyres.



I remember reading a motoring journo long term review in the 80s and he praised the 1.3 litre Astra for being able to cruise at 100+ with 3 passangers. The 16v 160hp version was claimed to be capable of 150mph - although in reality it struggled to that. This was in 1985.

And prior to this (we are in the 70s now) the Mk1 Vauxhall Cavalier was also aero styled for the time - flat wheel covers, sloped lights and so on. And this came after the Vauxhall "droop snoot" phase.



Droop snoot goodness here :

Vauxhall Magnum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
__________________
[I]So long and thanks for all the fish.[/I]
  Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Arragonis For This Useful Post:
aerohead (12-19-2009), Christ (12-19-2009), Piwoslaw (12-20-2009)
Old 12-19-2009, 05:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Troy, Pa.
Posts: 8,919

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Thanks: 1,369
Thanked 430 Times in 353 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
I think that the Geo Storm was inferred when Paul MacCready made the claim that if one were to take the powertrain of a contemporary sport coupe and slip it under the body of the Impact/EV-1,that you'd have a 100-mpg car.
The Storm served as a test-mule for the Impact electronics and powertrain.
A couple years later,Ultralite,different looking,but identical Cd debuted with 100-mpg.
The longer Saturn had one of the lowest Road Load Horsepower ratings of any car tested by Car and Driver.
Would that be one of the many articles you have in your collective book marks?

I'd love to see reference made to the Storm in any type of Eco-car.

I'm still not sure what engine I'll install in mine, I do believe that #1 rod is broken or the bearing is toast. Knocking sound when cranking, engine won't start. THere are lots of blocks that fit, but they all require extraneous work to run. I may just use the OE 1.6 for now, if I can find one.

Of course, I'm also going to be looking into what kinds of aero improvements I can make, taking major cues from the EV1.

Arragonis -

Sure, and if you come across any more, feel free to let them join the party! I'm interested specifically in cars that had obvious aero advantages for this thread, and especially anything with a small, efficient engine/drivetrain.
__________________
"┐ʞɐǝɹɟ ɐ ǝɹ,noʎ uǝɥʍ 'ʇı ʇ,usı 'ʎlǝuol s,ʇı"

  Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 05:55 PM   #7 (permalink)
The PRC.
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Elsewhere.
Posts: 5,304
Thanks: 285
Thanked 535 Times in 384 Posts
I am thanked by christ, I am blessed. I am off to bed.
__________________
[I]So long and thanks for all the fish.[/I]
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 06:52 PM   #8 (permalink)
PokÚmoderator
 
cfg83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Southern California
Posts: 5,864

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
Thanks: 439
Thanked 528 Times in 355 Posts
aerohead -

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
I think that the Geo Storm was inferred when Paul MacCready made the claim that if one were to take the powertrain of a contemporary sport coupe and slip it under the body of the Impact/EV-1,that you'd have a 100-mpg car.
The Storm served as a test-mule for the Impact electronics and powertrain.
A couple years later,Ultralite,different looking,but identical Cd debuted with 100-mpg.
The longer Saturn had one of the lowest Road Load Horsepower ratings of any car tested by Car and Driver.
Last year I kept driving by a used car lot with a 1st gen SC#. There's also a gold one near me. Every time I look at 'em, my brain ecomods them.

I just found this picture in your "Other vehicles 1" gallery :



The nose of this car always reminded me of the Storm and the SC.

CarloSW2
__________________

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 09:56 PM   #9 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Troy, Pa.
Posts: 8,919

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Thanks: 1,369
Thanked 430 Times in 353 Posts
Lower the Lumina APV and cut the ridiculous bumper on it, and you've got that image up there. (Nevermind the back.)

Arragonis -
Christ giveth, and Christ can taketh away! :P (Smart ass.)
__________________
"┐ʞɐǝɹɟ ɐ ǝɹ,noʎ uǝɥʍ 'ʇı ʇ,usı 'ʎlǝuol s,ʇı"

  Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 02:02 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
aerohead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Sanger,Texas,U.S.A.
Posts: 11,288
Thanks: 18,180
Thanked 5,997 Times in 3,651 Posts
reference

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ View Post
Would that be one of the many articles you have in your collective book marks?

I'd love to see reference made to the Storm in any type of Eco-car.

I'm still not sure what engine I'll install in mine, I do believe that #1 rod is broken or the bearing is toast. Knocking sound when cranking, engine won't start. THere are lots of blocks that fit, but they all require extraneous work to run. I may just use the OE 1.6 for now, if I can find one.

Of course, I'm also going to be looking into what kinds of aero improvements I can make, taking major cues from the EV1.

Arragonis -

Sure, and if you come across any more, feel free to let them join the party! I'm interested specifically in cars that had obvious aero advantages for this thread, and especially anything with a small, efficient engine/drivetrain.
Christ,the article was about MacCready and what he had accomplished with AeroVironment.
Within the article,he discussed how the GM Sunraycer would make a 400-mpg car,and after qualifying a powertrain,made the mpg association to the Impact/EV-1.
He never specifically mentions the Saturn or Storm,however,since the Storm did serve as a test mule,and it originally possessed the kind of powertrain he specified,I just made a mental leap,presuming an Impact-bodied Storm could achieve 100-mpg.I believe that is exactly the spirit of his comment.

  Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to aerohead For This Useful Post:
Christ (12-27-2009)
Reply  Post New Thread


Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"The Volt" May BE SCRAPPED!- NEVER BUILT!! Jammer Hybrids 460 08-22-2013 07:08 PM
Chrysler Expected To Kill Models, Bring Italian Vehicles Ashore Jammer The Lounge 17 06-26-2010 07:29 PM
News: GM planning dedicated high efficiency hybrid (in addition to the Volt) MetroMPG Hybrids 17 07-16-2009 10:20 PM
The Cars GM Needs To Make Big Dave General Efficiency Discussion 66 01-05-2009 03:18 PM
Canoe Race Toyota vs GM blueflame The Lounge 5 12-18-2008 01:54 PM



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2
All content copyright EcoModder.com