Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2008, 04:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
lyd
It smells funny in here.

GeeOh - '97 Geo Metro Base
90 day: 33.41 mpg (US)
The finest Chinese cr*p that money can buy. (wheels & tires)

Well, I am kind of an idiot. I had a set of Enkei 15x6.5 wheels on my geo, 3 of which were pretty badly scuffed up and one of which was slightly warped. I went in to the tire place to see if I could: a), score one of these long-discontinued wheels that had been forgotten in the corner of some warehouse somewhere to replace the warped one or b), switch all four to steel and maybe drop the width a bit while maintaining the diameter.

Instead, I couldn't resist their cheap-o house brand alum. wheels on sale. I know they are less aerodynamic, and it would have been better to move back to a narrower tire, but I am really amused by the way the geo looks like a life-size hot wheels car with wheels like this on it. I used to love hot wheels. The only reason I don't play with them now is I have the Geo. Yeah, yeah, I said I was an idiot, but there you go.

The upside of this is that the new Chinese tires ("Kumho", *shrug*) I got to put on the new Chinese wheels have a rated max pressure of 51 psi. That's up from 41 for the Falkens I had on the front and 35 for the cheap-o Generals I had on the rear.

I figured I'd run at max recommended for a while, at least until I get some further instrumentation together, and then consider over-inflating from there.

So there, I've confessed. Get it out of your systems now so I don't have to listen to all the mocking when I post pics of something important that happen to show my silly, inefficient wheels. ;-)

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-29-2008, 05:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Pic's of the Hot Wheels car please.
Old 09-29-2008, 05:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
lyd -

That's ok, it happens to me too. Can you post a picture of the new wheels on your GeeOh? I'm an advocate of getting tires rated at 51 PSI, so that's cool.

There's a Geo on my drive to work that also has righteous wheels.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Old 09-29-2008, 09:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
Hi-Tech Redneck

Send a message via AIM to Johnny Mullet Send a message via MSN to Johnny Mullet
I have always wanted to put some nice rims on my Metro even though fuel economy may go down some. I am actually starting to get a "performance bug" and thinking of doing some crazy changes to Christine

GeoMetroforum.com - got mpg?
Old 09-29-2008, 10:04 PM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

The Bluesmobile - '08 Mazda B2300 2WD
90 day: 22.62 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyd View Post
...the new Chinese tires ("Kumho", *shrug*) I got to put on the new Chinese wheels have a rated max pressure of 51 psi. That's up from 41 for the Falkens I had on the front and 35 for the cheap-o Generals I had on the rear.
Kumho makes tires in China, it's true. They also make tires in their home country South Korea, and they are building a new plant in Macon GA.

My mechanic swears by them, although he is also very fond of Toyo for winter tires. He says I won't even need extra weight in the bed of the Bluesmobile if I go for a set of four Toyos.

Old 09-29-2008, 11:33 PM   #6 (permalink)
lyd
It smells funny in here.

Okay, here's a quick pic I just ran down and snapped. Couldn't even see where I was pointing the camera, it was so dark, and the car is wedged in between my bike and the neighbor's van. I'll grab a better one sometime tomorrow.

The Enkeis actually looked a little sharper, but they were trashed and I didn't want to pony up for another set of those. These are still OK. I don't have the center caps in because they are this incredibly lame and cheap-looking plastichrome. I'm going to either try to paint them or find something else to stick in there.

I'm a little disappointed in the tires. For something that wants to be inflated to 51 pounds right out of the box, they don't have a ton of sidewall stiffness. Taking right-angle corners at 35mph or so (which I have been doing in the interest of mileage, to maintain my inertia and all that) feels a little squishy. More so than they did with the Falken's of the same size and profile, carrying 10 fewer psi. I might try bumping them up a bit in pressure sooner than I had planned.

They seem great in a straight line and for more normal cornering, though.
Old 09-30-2008, 10:21 AM   #7 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

2012 Golf TDI - '12 Volkswagen Golf TDI
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 45.51 mpg (US)
How much did those wheels cost and what size are the tires?

BP-turbo 93 Festiva (long gone)
1/4 mile - 12.50@111.5
Best MPG - 36.8
Old 09-30-2008, 10:32 AM   #8 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
lyd -

Those wheels are dashing.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Old 09-30-2008, 11:01 AM   #9 (permalink)
lyd
It smells funny in here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhazard View Post
How much did those wheels cost and what size are the tires?
They were about $75 ea. Tires are 195/50R-15. Overall diameter is about -4% from stock (about +4 revolutions per mile), and width is +40mm from stock.

That's just on paper, of course. Haven't had a chance to check this wheel/tire combo. The stuff I just took off, which was all the same size, matched the numbers pretty close.
Old 09-30-2008, 11:12 AM   #10 (permalink)
VIVA LA MPG RESISTANCE

Meat-roll - '97 Geo Metro
Team Metro
90 day: 55.4 mpg (US)

Wife's Brruik - '03 Buick Century
90 day: 30.84 mpg (US)

Blue Balt - '08 Chevrolet Cobalt XFE
Team Chevy
90 day: 38.19 mpg (US)
Very nice . I like them, and it amazes me how quick a set of wheels changes the look of a Metro. Maybe it's because they are so small. Mine give the car a bit more of a rally look where yours are more racing.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	member-will-albums-stewie-drives-3.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	1856  
Reply  Post New Thread