Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2008, 12:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

White Whale - '03 Chrysler Town & Country mini van all white
City-EL - any warnings?

These German made 3-wheelers have been around for years. I am in the process of getting one here in CA.- licensed and ready to go. It has already been beefed up from a 36V to a 48V. It is a '93, but it looks like the same design now made.

I heard too much negativity and disappearing service in my town about the Xebra, but this has ZERO service! Any dire warnings about this vehicle?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-05-2008, 01:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
Red
Master EcoModder

Besides parts, it would probably be classed as a bike out here
Old 09-05-2008, 02:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post
it would probably be classed as a bike out here
I wish! No pedals, has turn signals, brake lights, wipers, etc. normal tags, insurance, a bit longer than a scooter. One step over my velomobile which I can ride free since it has pedals. Unfair world!!
Old 09-05-2008, 02:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
Red
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Jordan View Post
I wish! No pedals, has turn signals, brake lights, wipers, etc. normal tags, insurance, a bit longer than a scooter. One step over my velomobile which I can ride free since it has pedals. Unfair world!!
Having run through the DMV when I was reviving my Insight, if you slapped on a pair of pedals you just might get through

But originally I meant motorcycle since its a 3 wheeled motorized transport.
Old 09-05-2008, 05:53 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Wicked Wanda - '99 VW Beetle GLS
90 day: 29.59 mpg (US)

Green Monster - '99 Ford Explorer Sport
90 day: 16.73 mpg (US)

Dad's Taxi - '99 Honda Odyssey EX
90 day: 24.23 mpg (US)
The new ones will do 40 MPH. I'd just be a little leery of the tricycle design. Sudden turns at those speeds could cause it to nose over to one side since the rear track looks kinda narrow.

Would you mind giving us a ballpark $$$ figure? New ones are 8,000 euros ($11,400). I'm cool if it's none of my damn business!
Old 09-05-2008, 07:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTrooper View Post
The new ones will do 40 MPH. I'd just be a little leery of the tricycle design. Sudden turns at those speeds could cause it to nose over to one side since the rear track looks kinda narrow.

Would you mind giving us a ballpark $$$ figure? New ones are 8,000 euros ($11,400). I'm cool if it's none of my damn business!
I am VERY leery of that wheel configuration at higher speed. It used to go 38 mph with 36V, but now goes 45 mph with 48V. Extra acceleration and allowing "expressway" speed seems to work, I was invited to an EV show it is in tomorrow. Then I will know more, but if someone says "over 50 mph!" my eyes will slowly glaze over Lower speed around town; should be great! I like the thin shape since everything fits nicely in a 1 car garage.

Sad thing is - it ain't cheap, so I won't be saving any money at all. A shade under $6k. Cheaper than most velomobiles, but I will be eating beans and rice a long time. The Aspire will probably go on Craigslist- but it is not even worth $1K with the seats missing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	City-EL.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	12.7 KB
ID:	1697  
Old 09-05-2008, 10:33 PM   #7 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

There is a local EAA member (JW) here that has one and there are some others not far away. JW just bought a Sparrow so he sort of quit driving the "L". He found the 36V "L" was not very adequate for traffic. I think he called it a rolling speed bump.

JW hasn't had it long and it had CA registration so the title transfer was easy.

Insurance can be an issue with some companies. The one you have may not go for it.

Tires are model specific and not easily obtained, JW's big nightmare so far, so plan ahead.

I'll send JW this url.

Neat ride and 48V probably makes a big difference.

Need I say drive defensive!

EVDRVR
Old 09-05-2008, 11:10 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanks for letting me know EVDRVR. Before lowering the top speed due to the 20 mph limit on the E-Pod, that trike would rattle my fillings out. It still rides hard; but not AS hard! It has fatter tires, more open-cell foam, and a little more foam insulation. some people wonder why I wear a helmet in that- I hit a tree root and {BLAM} know why I do! Hopefully the City-EL is not so violent!
Old 09-06-2008, 02:01 AM   #9 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Chris,
JW read the forum and says it is a small world. He figures you are buying the "L" from Scott? If that is correct JW will also plans to be at Palo Alto tomorrow afternoon.

JW has figured out a way to use a different tire on the L (a size that is available and not so $$$) but it requires a suspension mod that he designed. The original shock spring set-up is pretty soft and the newer bigger tire rubs without stiffening the rear end.

I've seen the mod and it is a nice coil over with a mounting bracket. A definite improvement.

I'm pretty new to this foum so if i figure out how I'll send you JW's email address.

EVDRVR
Old 09-06-2008, 09:59 AM   #10 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

That's the one! Scott is picking me up to go to the Palo Alto event! VERY small world!!

Reply  Post New Thread