Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2021, 06:14 PM   #11 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,625 Times in 1,450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay635703 View Post
US Import laws would restrict to 1996 or older cars.
That regulation did not prevent the JDM stuff around model-year '99 becoming allowed there classified as some sort of ATV, and even some brand-new Chinese copies of the Mitsubishi Minicab and Suzuki Carry which were available there around 2007.

Remember these?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-03-2021, 09:32 PM   #12 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,066 Times in 1,396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
Economics of scale dictate much of the hardware to be essentially the same, as Brazil is an export hub and some automakers actually export engines made here to markets with stricter emission regulations, even though the flexfuel tune is only common in Brazil and Paraguay.
Just because an engine is built in Brazil and exported to other markets doesn't mean the domestic market and export market engines are the same. An engine line can run multiple variations of the base engine.

Recently I worked on a project introducing Euro V engines into the Central and South American market. The engine is manufactured in our Brazilian plant and is currently used in the Brazilian market as well as Asia and Africa. It is the same base engine that was first used in Europe and the USA in the 1990's before it was phased out by emission regulations. However, even though they are maybe 95% the same they are still have significant hardware differences. Yes, the changes a small when making the engine but would be very expensive to retrofit after the fact.

There is a huge difference between essentially the same and actually the same when it comes to emission testing.
Old 08-04-2021, 07:59 PM   #13 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
Just because an engine is built in Brazil and exported to other markets doesn't mean the domestic market and export market engines are the same. An engine line can run multiple variations of the base engine.
Regarding specifically the Fiat Strada, which its 2nd generation is available with both the 1.4L FIRE and the 1.3L GSE/FireFly, the 1.4L is the same fitted to the European Fiorino, with the only difference besides the flexfuel tune being the heated injectors to ensure cold-start ability while running on pure ethanol.

Quote:
Recently I worked on a project introducing Euro V engines into the Central and South American market. The engine is manufactured in our Brazilian plant and is currently used in the Brazilian market as well as Asia and Africa. It is the same base engine that was first used in Europe and the USA in the 1990's before it was phased out by emission regulations.
When it comes to Diesels, it's different.
Old 08-07-2021, 01:35 PM   #14 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
That regulation did not prevent the JDM stuff around model-year '99 becoming allowed there classified as some sort of ATV, and even some brand-new Chinese copies of the Mitsubishi Minicab and Suzuki Carry which were available there around 2007.

Remember these?
There are purposely made vehicles with commercial backing for US legislation called NEVS or LSVs, My father owned one called a Miles zx40
however…

If you import newer than 96 you need to pay extra cash going through a specialty importer / converter that installs a restrictor plate, a Governor to 25mph, and the transmission may be modified removing or locking out gears.

If you try to cut 50% of the cost and self import using a broker (like you do with older cars) there is a very good chance of Customs seizure and even after presenting proper paperwork they will randomly crush cars that are non-conforming on entry to the port.

Then after you successfully navigate this half of states have a ban on them oinroad) and the rest limit where they may be operated, the most leanient states allow ATVs on backroads (not primary highways) while the more restrictive require operations on ATV routes which could be a single road in a community or a series of surface roads covering the whole area.

My state each community decides if they are legal or not and which roads or trails they may operate on. Up north this is great because you can basically drive on any road or trail you want primarily due to the lack of enforcement while in my area you would be hard pressed to drive outside your driveway without a trailer to move it to a legal road.

Just because some can skirt regulations to be legal enough for certain states does not mean it’s worth playing roulette to get a newer rig in most areas.

That said I know at least 2 folks that drive anywhere they want illegally and figure the fines are cheap enough to be apart of the cost of operation

Last edited by rmay635703; 08-07-2021 at 01:40 PM..
Old 08-10-2021, 01:56 AM   #15 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Quote:
If you import newer than 96 you need to pay extra cash going through a specialty importer / converter that installs a restrictor plate, a Governor to 25mph, and the transmission may be modified removing or locking out gears.
Maybe restricting top speed electronically, with fewer (if any) hardware changes required, would be possible. I remember some 50cc motorcycles which used to be fitted with a speed limiter at the ignition which decreased the maximum RPM allowed according to the gear in use.
Old 08-10-2021, 08:58 AM   #16 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
Maybe restricting top speed electronically, with fewer (if any) hardware changes required, would be possible. I remember some 50cc motorcycles which used to be fitted with a speed limiter at the ignition which decreased the maximum RPM allowed according to the gear in use.
There are definitely folks who import additional components to restore functionality sometimes the converters changes are pretty extensive, sometimes not

Sadly you normally have no input in what they do

Here in my state because of certain laws it’s expressedly legal for the original owner to modify a LSV/NEV over 10 years old, sadly our LSV/NEV and ATV laws really don’t overlap and it’s still questionable about where you are allowed

Police will generally ignore car like objects that have license plates though because I only get a rear plate and other cars get a front and rear that has gotten attention in the past.
Old 08-10-2021, 06:28 PM   #17 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Quote:
Here in my state because of certain laws it’s expressedly legal for the original owner to modify a LSV/NEV over 10 years old
Seems like another way to circumvent EPA and NHTSA loopholes, and maybe tax evasion too, than a clear incentive to modify such vehicles. But anyway, most likely the safety regulations and the Chicken Tax would prevent Brazilian trucklets to eventually become available there. Emission regulations are not so much harder to comply with the gassers.
Old 04-29-2022, 10:02 PM   #18 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Old 12-05-2023, 09:09 PM   #19 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

I guess some die-hard Ford enthusiast would eventually feel quite tempted to import one of these while they're still roaming around...

Finding the 4WD model is quite hard nowadays...

Reply  Post New Thread