Register Now

View Poll Results: Will the car be more efficient with:
A series hybrid configuration 14 70.00%
Parallel Hybrid 4 20.00%
It won't make a significant difference 2 10.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2008, 07:19 PM   #31 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel_john View Post
Above 20 to 1 you are at the point of diminsihing returns. About all there is to gain is taking off your muffler and using the turbo as a muffler.
I wonder if there would be any way to drive a generator from the exhaust turbine insteading of pressurizing the intake. I think I recall hearing that BMW or somesuch company was experimenting with this. My understanding is that diesels handle backpressure better than gassers, so perhaps this would be a way to harvest further energy from the process. Now where can I get a generator good for 100,000rpm...hmm

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-24-2008, 08:39 PM   #32 (permalink)
MP$

Send a message via MSN to diesel_john
Originally Posted by AmpEater
"Would an intercooler make a significant difference in this regard? It should lower the intake temperatures to close to ambient. The cylinder pressures would still be increased over designed operating conditions however."

Yes, that is the purpose of an aftercooler, not only does the air absorb heat from being in contact with the compressor blades it also is heated from being compressed from 0 to whatever psi. However, the engine compression of a factory turbo'd engine starts at much lower ratio some as low as 15 to 1. This is similiar with gas engines also.

"I'm a little curious as to how one advances the timing on a diesel? My understanding is that timing refers to the point at which the spark ignites the fuel mixture, but seeing that diesels have no spark I would assume that timing is fixed. Do you instead adjust when the fuel is injected instead?"
Yes
The timing is advanced by tilting the injection pump or slots in the timing gear, just like turning a distributor. this is normally set for max. power at the factory.

"I had no idea biodiesel actually burned any cleaner, I thought its sole appeal was better lubrication and being "renewable". This is very interesting, perhaps I can eliminate the need for propane if this is the case. Is your experience with fossil diesel/biodiesel blend, or would this apply to a biodiesel/WVO blend as well?"

My experience is with fossil diesel and up to 20% biodiesel blend. Yes, the biodiesel blend acts as a catalyst, i haven't researched why.

"Again, very interesting. Because the generator will be belt driven I could set the ratio at whatever engine speed is ideal. If I could get close to full power with a reduced engine speed and significantly increase the life expectancy I would be very happy. I assume the 60hz tidbit applies to direct drive generators? I'm glad you mentioned the cooling fan. My plans did not include one. It seems like an electric radiator fan should provide more than enough airflow, while still allowing me to turn it off at highway speeds and just allow the passing air to do this work."

i meant the fan on the engine needs a certain speed. you can't lug an air cooled engine like you can a water cooled engine, unless you speed up the fan.

Because your gen. is 20hp and engine is 10hp, you will need to control the generator draw or it will overload the engine. Find out the Rpm at peak torque for your engine. Ideally run the engine just below that speed. Is your engine speed governed? A generator engine is speed governed to get 60 hz. but you can direct couple and run the engine at peak efficiency RPM because you don't care about frequency. if belt, look up the transmission loss of your type of belt. i think you might be shooting yourself in the foot on that one.

Last edited by diesel_john; 04-11-2008 at 12:28 AM..
Old 03-24-2008, 08:48 PM   #33 (permalink)
MP$

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmpEater View Post
I wonder if there would be any way to drive a generator from the exhaust turbine insteading of pressurizing the intake. I think I recall hearing that BMW or somesuch company was experimenting with this. My understanding is that diesels handle backpressure better than gassers, so perhaps this would be a way to harvest further energy from the process. Now where can I get a generator good for 100,000rpm...hmm
An alternator will go to 10,000, maybe 15. need to drive a slower pump backwards...hmm i wonder those 1980's air pumps would be metal or plastic inside?
somewhere i read the exhaust was used to help direct drive the wheels. i would look up how diesel electric works in locomotives. they forgot more than i'll ever know, about series setups. looking at the big picture if you can find a high pressure point on the front of your car, duct that to the intake. likewise connect a low pressure point on the rear of your car to the exhaust.

Last edited by diesel_john; 03-24-2008 at 09:09 PM..
Old 03-24-2008, 09:11 PM   #34 (permalink)
MP$

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmpEater View Post
Its been a busy few days. The engine arrived. I'm suprised at how compact it is. Its also looks very simple, I'm eager to modify it. I wont really touch it until the generator also arrives, but my real focus is on the electric drivetrain. I made a template out of plywood to verify my hole spacing and to be used as a guide for the real deal. I also was able to do a rough fit of the motor to transmission just to help my visualize the finished product and avoid any stupid errors.
is that tranny direct drive in fourth?

I just ran a smog pump on 20 psi air. Not much torque out, i could stall it by hand with a wooden block.

Last edited by diesel_john; 04-11-2008 at 12:31 AM..
Old 03-25-2008, 12:14 AM   #35 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel_john View Post
is that tranny direct drive in fourth?
Year, forth is 1:1

I like the idea of using a smog pump as a turbine basically. I've heard of them being used similarly in solar hot water setups to drive a generator, so they must be pretty tough. I've got a couple GAST air motors, rated 6hp cont at 100psi and like 10+ cfm 3000rpm. I wonder if they would make for a decent generator turbine. Probably not designed to run with a hot gas input.
Old 03-26-2008, 09:40 PM   #36 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

A picture is worth 1000 words....

Old 03-28-2008, 01:12 PM   #37 (permalink)
Cd
Ultimate Fail

Thanked 1,121 Times in 679 Posts
There is a fellow that I am sure you have heard of ....but just in case you have not, his name is John 'Plasma Boy" Wayland.
He drives an all electric Datsun 210 and is currently running high 11s in the 1/4 mile.

I spoke with him by phone a while back, and the guy is friendly as can be and very enthusiatic about electric cars.
He has been building electric cars for over 20 years, and really knows his stuff, but yet is more than willing to share the knowledge.
He is just an everyday guy that tinkers with electrics and is doing a fantastic job of changing perceptions of electric cars.

....And .....he loves old Datsuns, and I just know you guys would 'click'.

His website is www.plasmaboyracing.com

Best of luck on your project. You are doing exactly what I had hoped to do with my own Datsun ( no longer with me )

I also wanted to compliment you on weighing in the emmisions factor when producing a vehicle like this. Personally, there is no way I would have used a gasoline engine as a second engine. SVO all the way !

Again good luck with your project. I really excited to see your progress.
Old 03-30-2008, 10:00 PM   #38 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Cd View Post
There is a fellow that I am sure you have heard of ....but just in case you have not, his name is John 'Plasma Boy" Wayland.
He drives an all electric Datsun 210 and is currently running high 11s in the 1/4 mile.

His website is www.plasmaboyracing.com

Best of luck on your project. You are doing exactly what I had hoped to do with my own Datsun ( no longer with me )
I've probably studied every line of text on his website several times over. It is a great refrence.

Now I just need to fab up a motor mount and some battery hold downs.
Old 03-30-2008, 10:06 PM   #39 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,959 Times in 3,603 Posts
Great pics. Progress!
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Old 04-11-2008, 12:33 AM   #40 (permalink)
MP$

Smile

What is the diesel you got?

Reply  Post New Thread