Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2008, 01:18 PM   #11 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

EcoVibe - '07 Pontiac Vibe base
90 day: 38.14 mpg (US)
Ron proved to me that he and his legal team do indeed have our backs. Here's a link to a video of an interview Ron did on MSNBC ... if you're curious about the SG or what Ron is like.

A gadget that saves gas - AOL Video

Another audio interview he did:
http://www.podtech.net/home/3665/scangauge

Last edited by Markmysite; 08-21-2008 at 01:30 PM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-21-2008, 01:38 PM   #12 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Whoop's Wheels - '89 Honda Civic Wagovan
90 day: 39.09 mpg (US)
The way that the scangauge intefaces with the ecm it would be enormously unlikely that the scangauge is causing any problems along the line of a lean engine code. The problem is that without knowing what is causing the problem, they are groping for straws. I would pull the scangauge, completely and not install it until after they figure out the problem.

It sounds like scangauge is trying to do everything it can, to help. Obviously, hind sight, pull the scangauge and if they ask if a scanner has been plugged in, tell them yes, that is how I know the error code. Scangauge is doing the exact same thing as any other engine error code scanner, so if that voids your warranty, then everybody who ever uses any scanner is going to be voiding the warranty. Good luck with the car.
Old 08-21-2008, 03:34 PM   #13 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
Markmysite -

They are lying. Linear-Logic rulezzzzzz!

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Old 08-21-2008, 09:02 PM   #14 (permalink)
Hi-Tech Redneck

Send a message via AIM to Johnny Mullet Send a message via MSN to Johnny Mullet
That code is obviously a vacuum leak and the mechanics cannot find it. Maybe you can find it yourself? Do a good visual and then start the car up until warm, spray parts cleaner/carb cleaner around the intake and vacuum hoses liberally and listen or "feel" for the engine RPM changing, then you pinpointed the vacuum leak.

I used to work at a dealer and it seems their inability to solve a simple problem and blame it on another product that has nothing to do with the PCM other than monitoring systems has created more problems than it solved.

Good luck my friend

GeoMetroforum.com - got mpg?
Old 08-21-2008, 10:39 PM   #15 (permalink)
Steady as she goes

Shooting Star - '95 geo metro
90 day: 59.91 mpg (US)

HUFFER - '98 Buick Riviera Super Charged
90 day: 30.69 mpg (US)

Kandy, Flake-n-Flames - '96 Buick Riviera Base
90 day: 32.13 mpg (US)

Blue Z - '07 Nissan 350Z coupe
90 day: 34.13 mpg (US)
READ THIS!!...., I hope this helps..... Last year I had a VERY similar situation on an '06 vibe. Customer brings in their car with a "ck engine" light.. with the same lean code you have. After ALOT of time looking and I mean ALOT of time looking for the leak, This is what I found. On top of the transmission between the air cleaner box and the engine there is a solenoid with a vacuum lines running to it, It may even be bolted to a bracket that is bolted to the cylinder head or to the top of the trans. Right next to that or somewhere there about's is another hose coming from the air cleaner box that is also about the same size...about 5/16" or 3/8" . MAKE SURE that those hoses aren't backwards or mixed up some way/ some how. The best thing that I can say is, If you can find another Vibe and compare the hoses that come off of the air cleaner box and that solenoid and make sure your's are routed EXACTLY the same and going to the same ports. What it did on the one that I had was, The hoses were mixed up and it created a vacuum leak inside the air cleaner box. With the engine running I never heard a vacuum leak because the leak was inside the air cleaner box!!!...GOOD LUCK !!!

Not all dealerships are bad.....Only about 1% are good LOL

How about a 1 Litre Street rod?
Old 08-21-2008, 11:01 PM   #16 (permalink)
Steady as she goes

Boy, You really have me thinking now. That was like two thousand cars ago I'm not sure exactly what hose it was. But what I am sure of, Is that there is a hose that is about 5/16" that goes to the air cleaner box that can be easly mixed up with a ported vacuum hose that goes to that solenoid......If the air cleaner box assembly was removed at one time these hoses can be switched..... Man, now I'm not going to be able to sleep....

Old 08-21-2008, 11:20 PM   #17 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

EcoVibe - '07 Pontiac Vibe base
90 day: 38.14 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Mullet View Post
That code is obviously a vacuum leak and the mechanics cannot find it. Maybe you can find it yourself? Do a good visual and then start the car up until warm, spray parts cleaner/carb cleaner around the intake and vacuum hoses liberally and listen or "feel" for the engine RPM changing, then you pinpointed the vacuum leak.

I used to work at a dealer and it seems their inability to solve a simple problem and blame it on another product that has nothing to do with the PCM other than monitoring systems has created more problems than it solved.

Good luck my friend
I think so too. I was reading some posts in other forums about using either starting fluid or carb cleaner to find the leak. The thing is it's a very small leak and barely affects engine idle. I wonder if I spray around if it would uptick the engine still? Probably would I bet since it would feed directly in and rev it a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
Boy, You really have me thinking now. That was like two thousand cars ago I'm not sure exactly what hose it was. But what I am sure of, Is that there is a hose that is about 5/16" that goes to the air cleaner box that can be easly mixed up with a ported vacuum hose that goes to that solenoid......If the air cleaner box assembly was removed at one time these hoses can be switched..... Man, now I'm not going to be able to sleep....
I hate that, like when you can't remember the name of a song or an actor but it's right on the tip of your tongue. Only when the person leaves do you actually remember it.

They are putting the new PCM in tomorrow. If that doesn't fix the CEL code (which I'm pretty sure it won't) I will go over there and try the spray trick and check those hoses on the air cleaner box. Maybe one is just even loose around there from when my oil was changed last and they looked at the filter.... wait a minute ... I bet that is it. I had my oil changed and they always check the air filter when you do that. I bet they knocked one of those hoses loose on the air box.

The plot thickens. Will post more tomorrow after I go to the dealer and check it out. Thanks for the tip... I think you might be onto something.
Old 08-22-2008, 12:59 AM   #18 (permalink)
Steady as she goes

Good luck, I now remember that they had intake manifold leak issues too.... I also agree that the computer won't fix it.....

Old 08-22-2008, 06:38 AM   #19 (permalink)
Hi-Tech Redneck

Send a message via AIM to Johnny Mullet Send a message via MSN to Johnny Mullet
After you fix the problem yourself, you can get a job there as the new Service Manager

GeoMetroforum.com - got mpg?
The Following User Says Thank You to Johnny Mullet For This Useful Post:
j12piprius (02-26-2011)
Old 08-22-2008, 10:20 AM   #20 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,959 Times in 3,603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markmysite View Post
Well, I called Linear-Logic (company who makes SG) as soon as they were open. I spoke with Ron DeLong (the inventor of the ScanGauge) for quite a while. ..... How freaking cool is this guy?!?!?!?!?
Ron's a smart cookie and is obviously concerned both about your personal situation and the potential harm that could be done to his business if dealerships get away with telling people that a ScanGauge could void a warranty. Imagine the potential impact on his bottom line of that rumour spreading unchallenged on the 'net.

I've also spoken to him at length, and he's the real deal.

Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Reply  Post New Thread