Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2012, 09:09 PM   #171 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Ho-Sook - '10 Hyundai Accent GS
You know, not for nothing, but I really don't care much about the possible impact on emissions due to hypermiling. Even if I ripped off the cats and made the engine burn as lean as knock-free-ly possible as part of my ecomodding, every gallon of gas I didn't burn traveling resulted in exponentially less emissions when factoring in the production of the fuel than the possible added level of emissions going out the tailpipe.

It's all relative, really. *shrug*

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-05-2012, 09:19 PM   #172 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Do you have some data to back up that claim, I don't think a modern CAT offers much resistance, especially since 99% of the the time the throttle is holding the engine back, not intake resistance or exhaust resistance.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:55 PM   #173 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Drifter View Post
You know, not for nothing, but I really don't care much about the possible impact on emissions due to hypermiling. Even if I ripped off the cats and made the engine burn as lean as knock-free-ly possible as part of my ecomodding, every gallon of gas I didn't burn traveling resulted in exponentially less emissions when factoring in the production of the fuel than the possible added level of emissions going out the tailpipe.

It's all relative, really. *shrug*
Considering the production and distribution of the gasoline as part of a car's pollution: 1, 2, and 3.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 09-05-2012, 11:13 PM   #174 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosterk0031 View Post
Do you have some data to back up that claim, I don't think a modern CAT offers much resistance, especially since 99% of the the time the throttle is holding the engine back, not intake resistance or exhaust resistance.
I was mainly being particular to having a cherry cat and spending $10 in pipe and exhaust sealant to just replace it with a sleeve than $100 to put in a new cat.
Old 12-21-2013, 12:03 AM   #175 (permalink)
Pishtaco

Mean Green Toaster Machine - '06 Scion xB
Team Toyota
90 day: 48.92 mpg (US)
For those of you who followed or participated in this thread nearly two years ago, my car came up for its biennial smog inspection again. I'm still hypermiling as aggressively as before, with 7 of my last 10 tanks >50 mpg.

However, this time I've been driving my car recently. Last week I drove it two hours RT to Sacramento, keeping the cat lit the whole time. Today I kept it lit for a 50 mile drive to a tool rental place, Home Depot, the bank, my barber's, and Harbor Freight Tools.

The results were fine. I passed all emissions, with emissions roughly twice the average, but far better than two years ago.

Boycotting Exxon since 1989, BP since 2010
Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac? George Carlin
Mean Green Toaster Machine
49.5 mpg avg over 53,000 miles. 176% of '08 EPA
Best flat drive 94.5 mpg for 10.1 mi
Longest tank 1033 km (642 mi) on 10.56 gal = 60.8 mpg
The Following User Says Thank You to SentraSE-R For This Useful Post:
California98Civic (12-21-2013)
Old 12-21-2013, 04:24 AM   #176 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
That's useful. Thanks. I also can't help but notice that you seem to be saying you continued with EOC and P&G. I thought you became strongly opposed to those techniques after the first test two years ago. What changed your mind, if you changed your mind?
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 12-21-2013, 11:42 AM   #177 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
I think he wasn't willing to use hypermiling techniques unless it was emissions legal. Now he has found a balance that satisfies his principles and still gets great mileage. I don't have to pass a "sniff" test but we can not get a sticker with the cel light.

While his emissions may exceed the "norm", that does not consider the time he spends in eoc, when the emissions are 0. This can be 3/4 of the time the car is moving and this time should dilute the increased readings when running that the overall emissions reduction probably is much lower, in total amount, that iut would ever be if he drove in a way to get actual EPA numbers.

regards
Mech
Old 12-21-2013, 01:53 PM   #178 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

By the way, P&G is impossible with my new car. Damn push-to-start won't shut the engine off unless I'm < 5 MPH. But I did lose an entire cylinder and 500 lbs, and gaines 10 MPG...
Old 12-21-2013, 09:17 PM   #179 (permalink)
Pishtaco

Mean Green Toaster Machine - '06 Scion xB
Team Toyota
90 day: 48.92 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
That's useful. Thanks. I also can't help but notice that you seem to be saying you continued with EOC and P&G. I thought you became strongly opposed to those techniques after the first test two years ago. What changed your mind, if you changed your mind?
I'm pretty sure it's discussed in this thread. I went back to EOC P&G in Summer 2012. My rationale goes something like this: We keep the equivalent of a fleet of ~20 supertankers running 24/7 hauling oil from the Middle East to supply the country's fossil fuel thirst. One supertanker emits more pollution in a second than my car does in a year, and one supertanker emits roughly as much pollution in a year than all the cars in the country do. Ergo, my car's pollution contribution is de minimis*.

*There was a young man named Rex,
Who had diminutive organs of sex.
When caught for exposure,
He said with composure,
De minimis non curat lex!
(the law will not deal with trivialities)

Boycotting Exxon since 1989, BP since 2010
Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac? George Carlin
Mean Green Toaster Machine
49.5 mpg avg over 53,000 miles. 176% of '08 EPA
Best flat drive 94.5 mpg for 10.1 mi
Longest tank 1033 km (642 mi) on 10.56 gal = 60.8 mpg
Old 12-21-2013, 10:37 PM   #180 (permalink)
Southern Squidbillie

The judge should have thrown the book at him...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SentraSE-R View Post
*There was a young man named Rex,
Who had diminutive organs of sex.
When caught for exposure,
He said with composure,
De minimis non curat lex!
(the law will not deal with trivialities)
The judge could have charged him under the penal code, but the evidence wouldn't stand up in court...

Reply  Post New Thread