Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > DIY / How-to
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2010, 11:20 PM   #81 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
..my

Do they "work"? -- yes.

Do they work "better" than traditional spark plugs? -- no.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-15-2010, 01:10 PM   #82 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

CRex - '87 Honda CRX Si r
90 day: 34 mpg (US)

Taurazz - '05 Ford Taurus
90 day: 23.38 mpg (US)

HF ecomod cheater - '86 Honda Crx HF
mwebb,

I think we are saying the same thing(but maybe I'm not writing clearly)...

I basically meant that yes, the whole system is set(calibrated) at 14.7 to 1. Anything that causes more efficient use of the fuel in each cylinder- would change the reading given off by the O2 sensor in the exhaust stream. If the O2 sensor sensed an exhaust stream that was different than what it was set for- 14.7 to 1, the ECU would change the fuel(injector pulses), ignition timing, etc.... to compensate. Either more or less- trying to swing back to 14.7 to 1. That is what it is designed to do.

I was pointing out that they a little shady if they promise to give the magic pill(better spark)- without retuning the system to work with the supposed better spark and supposed better combustion....

Please let me know if I am hazy on this.... i think we are posting the same idea tho
Old 04-17-2010, 08:58 PM   #83 (permalink)
Basjoos Wannabe

The Van - '97 Mercury Villager gs
90 day: 19.8 mpg (US)

Lyle the Kindly Viking - '99 Volvo V70
90 day: 25.82 mpg (US)
My two lincolns

-KISS-(keep it simple silly) adding a component that can fail to a relatively simple device operating in extreme conditions cannot be good.

-longevity-IIRC the pulstars were good for 50k miles, while the iridiums are good for 100k, correct? Now I'm a lazy sort, and I may forget to replace my plugs after 100k miles. I'd feel more confident knowing I have a product (ie platinums or iridiums) that can produce a quality spark for longer intervals than one that magically creates more power from a finite system operating at high efficiency to begin with. A plug wears out over time and slowly, so about halfway through its lifecycle we're using a plug with a bit less life left to it. The question is, does it still operate within specs after being abused for so long?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
I think you missed the point I was trying to make, which is that it's not rational to do either speed or fuel economy mods for economic reasons. You do it as a form of recreation, for the fun and for the challenge.
Old 08-30-2010, 12:21 AM   #84 (permalink)
Banned

Thank you dparker............
Old 08-30-2010, 12:24 AM   #85 (permalink)
Banned

Thank you for this thread, I was wondering about them, and there isn't much info out there.
Old 11-20-2010, 06:41 PM   #86 (permalink)
EcoModding 92 Civic

dparker--Pulstar Plug Problem

I bought 4 Pulstar Plugs from the pulstar.com website.The world's most powerful spark plug from Enerpulse.
I have a 1992 Honda Civic CX with the 1.5L 4cyl 8 valve engine D15B8. With the old regular plugs, acceleration is normal without any lag.
Today I reset the ECU, gapped the plugs at .040 (correct gap 4 car is .039 - .044), used the dielectric grease on the plug's ceramic body and on the plug boot of all 4 cylinders. Then I installed the plugs and started up the car. It started normally, and before the car had warmed up any, the acceleration was 99% without lag (1% still there), and acceleration was mostly better right from the start when the engine and Pulstar plugs were still cold. After 0.5 miles of driving, the engine started bucking under medium acceleration. After 1 - 1.2 miles, the engine was bucking (acceleration lag) under medium light to heavy acceleration until the car reached 40mph in 2nd gear. It sounded as if the car was missing spark when the gas pedal was pressed. When I took out the Pulstar plugs and put back in the old plugs, acceleration was normal, without lag or bucking. Could these plugs possibly be defective or is my car not working right with these plugs? Has anyone else had this problem? Please let me know. Thanks, Joel
Old 11-20-2010, 07:15 PM   #87 (permalink)
Wiki Writer

bugler - '91 Mazda 626
90 day: 35.89 mpg (US)
I saw this thread and thought i could put an entry in the wiki for these plugs and i guess for other non standard plugs which claim higher fuel efficiency.

I dont know too much about the subject so i am posting to ask what people think about this mod.
so for anyone that has tried this mod
- does it noticeably reduce fuel economy
- is it a hoax, do you get no improvement
- is any improvement so small that we dont know if it works or not
- does it noticeably increase fuel economy

depending on what people think i can put this in any of the following wiki sections
- proven
- suggested mods (untested/unprovable mods)
- hoax products
Old 11-20-2010, 09:16 PM   #88 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
The Coupe has Pulstars in it. Doesn't run any better or worse, or get any different fe that I can see.

Old 11-20-2010, 10:05 PM   #89 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

no nickname , it's just a car - '04 volkswagen golf tdi
hi res scope car meet test

i am located in dutchess county , a few hours from delphi at the most and on saturdays i can be in suagerties or kingston with no
problems .....
( about 1/2 way )
so
i have high resolution scopes and secondary spark testing stuff i run with my laptop while driving under load that will show

the waveforms , the EKG of the secondary spark
which will show the problems with this DOGSHNIT brand of spark plugs - so that
if we meet and i can drive in your car with you piloting while i record ....
we can show the world
what before and after waveforms , with good and DOGSHNIT spark plugs
really look like

case will be closed - the BAD GUYS will loose - and you may be entitled to a refund from the PUDDINGheads if you submit my documentation with your request .

when is convenient for your self ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jserman28 View Post
I bought 4 Pulstar Plugs from the pulstar.com website.The world's most powerful spark plug from Enerpulse.
I have a 1992 Honda Civic CX with the 1.5L 4cyl 8 valve engine D15B8. With the old regular plugs, acceleration is normal without any lag.
Today I reset the ECU, gapped the plugs at .040 (correct gap 4 car is .039 - .044), used the dielectric grease on the plug's ceramic body and on the plug boot of all 4 cylinders. Then I installed the plugs and started up the car. It started normally, and before the car had warmed up any, the acceleration was 99% without lag (1% still there), and acceleration was mostly better right from the start when the engine and Pulstar plugs were still cold. After 0.5 miles of driving, the engine started bucking under medium acceleration. After 1 - 1.2 miles, the engine was bucking (acceleration lag) under medium light to heavy acceleration until the car reached 40mph in 2nd gear. It sounded as if the car was missing spark when the gas pedal was pressed. When I took out the Pulstar plugs and put back in the old plugs, acceleration was normal, without lag or bucking. Could these plugs possibly be defective or is my car not working right with these plugs? Has anyone else had this problem? Please let me know. Thanks, Joel

Last edited by mwebb; 11-20-2010 at 10:08 PM.. Reason: spelling of saugerties
Old 11-20-2010, 10:23 PM   #90 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
Quote:
Originally Posted by jserman28 View Post
After 1 - 1.2 miles, the engine was bucking (acceleration lag) under medium light to heavy acceleration until the car reached 40mph in 2nd gear. It sounded as if the car was missing spark when the gas pedal was pressed. When I took out the Pulstar plugs and put back in the old plugs, acceleration was normal,
I pulled my pulstar plugs from my civic vx and put them in a drawer for the same kind of reason, not bad bucking but a noticeable stumble, they sent them to me as a sample so I didn't have a reason to send them back other then that they at least don't work in Honda's and didn't help with the gas mileage, it's been years sense I had them in my car but I know that my mileage dropped and my car ran rough.

Reply  Post New Thread