Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2008, 11:47 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Hey everyone.
Wanting to lose some weight on my euro 1991 mk2 crx vtec !
I know to start off with the b16a vtec engine is quite thirsty - however this is the car i have and im not changing the car or the engine .
Losing weight will not only increase mpg ( slightly lol ) but also make my car a little bit quicker ( overtaking etc ) so a bonus on both fronts !
Just so you guys know ive got the heaviest crx made weighing ( from a couple of sources ) at least 2220lbs up to 2400lbs !... compared to the " lower spec " models is a huge amount of weight difference! And this one doesnt have the heavy door mounted seatbelts. It doesnt have aircon or ps either !

Was looking for opinions on how to reduce weight on my honda crx, without lossing the back seats and carpets. I want the car to look stock in and out ,basically.
I have a couple of ideas so far ( and have done a few already ) :

1: Replace sunroof ( and headlining and motor + wires ) with fiberglass bung. Told this should save me around 15kg alone !

2: Lightweight Battery

3: Lightweight wheels (done : just bought some very lightweight 15" alloys )

4: Rear wiper + motor + wiring delete

5: spare wheel, jack and tools

6: rear standard wing delete - think this is going bye bye too.

7: mudflaps delete ( done )

8: im thinking lexan windows in the rear - anyway to do this and maintain the " stock " look ? They always seem to be riveted on , rather than bonded on ?

9: Remove the ABS ecu , sensors, wiring , and servo.

10 : soundproofing removed?

11 : side impact door beams delete ? possible?

Any more ideas or views on the above , will be appreciated !

One race team got one of these down to around 700kg , however this was completely stripped and probably used titanium fasteners etc !

Regards
Mark

Last edited by chipX; 08-31-2008 at 11:56 AM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-31-2008, 12:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
Wannabe greenie

The Clunker (retired) - '90 Honda Accord EX sedan
Team Honda
90 day: 29.49 mpg (US)

Mountain Goat - '96 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 SuperCab
90 day: 18 mpg (US)

Zippy - '10 Kymco Agility 125
90 day: 65.03 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chipX View Post

11 : side impact door beams delete ? possible?
I'm willing to bet that the CRX didn't have these in '91. (They were mandated in '97, which is probably why the CRX didn't survive that long.) If you do have them, I would suggest not removing them. My grandmother was broadsided by an SUV that ran a red, and it was NOT pretty at all.

Old 08-31-2008, 02:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Another civic - '06 Honda Civic LX
90 day: 40.81 mpg (US)
11. Replace them with fluffy pillows? jk, I doubt them have them as well.

If I were you'd I'd focus more on aero than reducing weight. Aerodynamics will increase mpg more than reducing weight. I forget how much each .cd is worth in weight.
Old 08-31-2008, 02:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
Wannabe greenie

Team Honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by c0da View Post

If I were you'd I'd focus more on aero than reducing weight. Aerodynamics will increase mpg more than reducing weight. I forget how much each .cd is worth in weight.
Agreed. If we were talking about power seats or luxury levels of padding, then certainly. But the CRX is so light, you don't stand to gain much by spending hours scraping off the sound deadening. Lighter battery, sunroof delete and maybe Lexan rear glass would probably be the best bang-for-buck for weight reduction.

I would only change the wheels if it had the wide sport alloys like my dad's old CRX Si. A narrower tire would decrease rolling resistance at the penalty of handling/braking performance.

Old 08-31-2008, 02:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
how heavy are the wheels you are getting? Honda insight wheels, civic vx wheels and civic hx wheels are all around are around 9-11 pounds, take narrower lighter/cheaper tires, and unless you are racing, they tend to give plenty of traction.

in 1986 the crx hf came with aluminum brake drums, they are kind of pricey but are lighter then cast iron drums and work well enough that people who race and have to stop on the track like them.
Old 08-31-2008, 02:53 PM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I have fairly lightweight sports seats in there now.
I would rather not decrease any form of handling performance - as well as my daily driver , its my little " sporty " car too Depends if i want to be sensible or not
A rough estimate : i have saved 15-20kg by changing the wheels on their own. However the tyres will be more geared towards performance rather than lowering the RR.

Reason why i was wondering about the weight reduction is that the " other " crxs , some of them are like 200kg lighter !
Old 08-31-2008, 02:59 PM   #7 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Yeah ive heard many road racers use drums on the rear. unfortuanely mine comes with disks on the rear
My wheels are amongst the lightest ( 8.6lbs ) for 15" x 6.5" isnt bad eh although they probably arent the " cleanest " regarding aero

aerdynamics will be the next step - however i want to avoid using rear wheel skirts, although a full undertray would be great ( but not at the moment as im still sorting out suspension + welding a few bits and bobs )
Id also love to do a " race " mirror conversion / motorbike mirrors but i park on te street and im afraid someone would " borrow " these for their car.
As i said i plan on deleting the rear wiper and wing ( although still uncertain whether or not the spoiler helps aero )

Chances are i may do a 1/2 rad block as ive seen a lot of these cars running half size rads anyway.

Last edited by chipX; 08-31-2008 at 03:10 PM..
Old 08-31-2008, 03:10 PM   #8 (permalink)
Wannabe greenie

Team Honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipX View Post
I have fairly lightweight sports seats in there now.
I would rather not decrease any form of handling performance - as well as my daily driver , its my little " sporty " car too Depends if i want to be sensible or not
A rough estimate : i have saved 15-20kg by changing the wheels on their own. However the tyres will be more geared towards performance rather than lowering the RR.

Reason why i was wondering about the weight reduction is that the " other " crxs , some of them are like 200kg lighter !
Well, you're never going to be as light as the lightest Rexes; remember, they have the lightweight D15 in the lightest HFs and no sunroof (and thus, no beefed up supports). You might consider losing the jack but keeping the tire; that way, at least AAA can help you if you get a flat. (Get a donut spare if you don't already have it.) Lighter exhaust system, possibly a smaller radiator, underdrive pulleys, carbon-fiber hood?

Old 08-31-2008, 03:13 PM   #9 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Replaced crank pulley with a genuine honda ctr n1 pulley ( approx 180dollars from honda, i didnt pay that though ) this saves a huge amount of rotational mass , and it also gets rid of the two unused slots on the pulley where the ps and aircon belts would go. Also getting a lightweight flywheel ( probably going to be detrimental to mpg i know ) which will save quite a few more kg's.
I think by now people have started to think " is this guy actually wanting mpg or performance ? " well my main goals to be honest will be performance , and any mpg i can pick up will be a serious bonus !
Old 09-02-2008, 02:07 PM   #10 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

This sight is for the 96+ years but gives a general idea of how much things in a car weighs and alternatives to replace them also with weights. Hope it helps

Honda Civic Weight Reductions

Reply  Post New Thread