Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2008, 07:46 PM   #11 (permalink)
Master Novice

Josie - '87 Toyota Pickup
90 day: 29.5 mpg (US)

Felicia - '09 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 50.48 mpg (US)
Beautiful! What is that, a Kelmark? It looks great: nice find, nice work on the paint.

You could add a glass "hatch" over the rear between the buttresses if that won't interfere with any cooling air.

Lead or follow. Either is fine.
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-07-2008, 02:48 AM   #12 (permalink)
EcoModding Minded

Lunar Mist - '02 Toyota Tacoma SR5
90 day: 25.31 mpg (US)

Silver Streak - '08 Toyota Corolla S
90 day: 38.25 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to Chris D.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucepick View Post
I find it hard to believe that anyone would modify a classic in beautiful condition. And that's coming from a committed liberal green ecomodder and hypermiler.

I don't know what it is but it's probably worth more than my house. I think you'll destroy the value if you modify it.
kitcar

Old 03-07-2008, 04:56 AM   #13 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucepick View Post
I find it hard to believe that anyone would modify a classic in beautiful condition. And that's coming from a committed liberal green ecomodder and hypermiler.

I don't know what it is but it's probably worth more than my house. I think you'll destroy the value if you modify it.
Yes its a Kelmark GT. Worth more than your house thats one cheap house I only payed $2000 for it.
Old 03-07-2008, 02:02 PM   #14 (permalink)
Master Novice

Kelmark GT is one of the more attractive VW-based kits - it echoes the fine lines of the Puma, itself a VW-based car that was barely-sorta available in the States.

Nice ride, 123. If you're into VW at all, then you're probably skilled with a wrench - a necessity for aircooled gearheads. Check out what Hot VWs magazine has been doing with their so-called "Mileage Motor." They've been pushing past 35mpg with no trouble - no, the motor ain't stock, but the mods aren't extreme at all. And they've gotten those numbers in a Super Beetle. This swoopier chassis should be able to do lots better. Perhaps best of all, to get those MPG numbers, the mods they made to the engine bumped it up to ~90hp and gave it a big, meaty torque band: just right for a sporty car.

Old 03-08-2008, 01:02 AM   #15 (permalink)
EcoModding Minded

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123 View Post
Yes its a Kelmark GT. Worth more than your house thats one cheap house I only payed $2000 for it.
I think I still have an old kitcar magazine with info on that body kit..

I recognized it right away, but didn't know the name of it..

I see an orange one around town now and again during the warm but not hot months and it has gullwing doors.. It mite be a Brickland or a Bradley GT kit, haven't had much eye time for it..

Old 03-11-2008, 12:27 PM   #16 (permalink)
Master Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris D. View Post
has gullwing doors.. It mite be a Brickland or a Bradley GT kit, haven't had much eye time for it..
Don't be misled: a Bricklin is not a kit car. That's a specific chassis, and the drivetrain is all Ford Cleveland. Good luck hypermiling that!

The Bradley GT was nice, but the much rarer GT II was much prettier, had a better shape overall. In my opinion, it was better thought-out.

Old 04-19-2008, 04:36 PM   #17 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,223 Times in 4,650 Posts
If it's going to be air-cooled VW power,some concessions to drag reduction may have to be made to keep that puppy alive.The Porsche 914 tapped the separated flow behind the rear windscreen to create a vortex and slammed flow into the engine bay,ala: bug/Ghia/etc..You will have to be especially careful not to impede airflow to cylinder,heads, and oil-cooler or it'd thumbs-up at the side of the road and a call for a tow-truck.Be careful! It's a beautiful car.
Old 04-19-2008, 08:39 PM   #18 (permalink)
EcoModding Minded

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhigh View Post
Don't be misled: a Bricklin is not a kit car. That's a specific chassis, and the drivetrain is all Ford Cleveland. Good luck hypermiling that!

The Bradley GT was nice, but the much rarer GT II was much prettier, had a better shape overall. In my opinion, it was better thought-out.
I never said a Bricklyn was a kit car.. you misread what I wrote..

Old 04-20-2008, 09:17 AM   #19 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Eco-Fit - '13 Honda Fit Base
90 day: 37.06 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhigh View Post
Kelmark GT is one of the more attractive VW-based kits - it echoes the fine lines of the Puma, itself a VW-based car that was barely-sorta available in the States.
I have seen very few of these survive in this sort of condition, most are in major states of disrepair. $2000 is a pittance if it has no mechanical problems, excellent find .
The Kelmark GT kit car was actually an attempt to replicate the looks of the 1969-74 Ferrari Dino 246.
You can mate a nice Porsche engine and tranny to them if the VW boxer isn't your style (if you're on this forum, the boxer IS your style ).

Good luck with your mods, but the most critical ones (in my opinion) are avoid an air dam, close up the gaping holes that are the headlights (heat up some plexi and go to town), and make the underbelly as smooth as silk. She'll retain her looks and have a much sweeter Cd without increasing her CdA, not that a 4.5 foot tall car has that much CdA .

Last edited by Funny; 04-20-2008 at 09:32 AM.. Reason: Additional text
Old 04-20-2008, 09:37 AM   #20 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Eco-Fit - '13 Honda Fit Base
90 day: 37.06 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
You will have to be especially careful not to impede airflow to cylinder,heads, and oil-cooler or it'd thumbs-up at the side of the road and a call for a tow-truck.Be careful!
Aero brings up an excellent point. You may want to route an air pipe to the engine bay and/or get a bigger oil cooler, to keep things cool, nothing sucks worse than overheating in the blazing summer afternoons.

Reply  Post New Thread