Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2008, 01:27 PM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Send a message via AIM to Gone4
We have a good reason to be concerned about extinctions while other animals do not; no other animal can cause as much permanent damage as humans and maybe our very survival depends on biodiversity. Viruses, like Sars and Avian Flu, develop in areas of low biodiversity because it's easier to infect entire classes of animals - like birds - when there are only a few species to worry about. I can sit here and explain reasons why we need to care all day but it won't move anyone. Just realize, biodiversity is necessary for our survival too.

And the polar bears are a funny case, one that may have less to do with humans than 97% of the rest. There has been modeling done about the movement of the magnetic poles and it is quite drastic in the past 14 years. They use the poles to get around it seems and are no walking the wrong way and into areas that haven't been safe for a long time but they have known to avoid. The theory is we're overdue for a pole shift, where the magnetic north and south flip. This could finish what we started when it comes to the polar bears. It doesn't happen often on earth but on the sun it happens up to every 6 years and is a rather frequent event on the cosmic level.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-29-2008, 03:14 PM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

You know, I don't really get too angry with that point of view, because it's just a less-developed form of my own. As for instance their view:

"As humans we are entitled to all the earth recources and heaven help any law that leaves any species above our inalienable right to plunder our own land..."

Now my view would be something along the lines of "As a functioning superhuman (as shown by my ability to spell :-)), I'm entitled to use all the earth resources I want, which includes clean air & water, and a lot of open space filled with interesting plant & animal species. I therefore propose to reduce the surplus subhuman population which is interfering with my enjoyment of these resources, and guess what? You're elected :-)"
Old 07-05-2008, 05:42 PM   #13 (permalink)
Renaissance Man

Aegean C - '17 Honda Civic LX
90 day: 39.43 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCO2 View Post
If you think about it another way, we are the ONLY species that care about conservation and putting other animals on the endangered species list. No other species on the planet really gives a crap what happens to the others, they just see them as "Food" or "Not Food". The only difference is that we have the ability of self consciousness and that causes us to us to be concerned about our impact on other things because that same self consciousness has the ability to create things other species can not.
I have always felt that since only humans possess these qualities that you speak of that we would be remiss to ignore them. I am happy to be a member of the only species that can understand it's impact on the world and other living things.

Old 07-05-2008, 07:41 PM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

2012 Golf TDI - '12 Volkswagen Golf TDI
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 45.51 mpg (US)
Man I cant believe some of you morons driving the speed limit out there trying to save a penny or two on gas. Im gonna sell all my cars and buy a sweet hummer. I dont care about gas prices, I wanna drive the way I wanna drive. I dont care if it costs a couple bucks more. You people with your little dink cars need to get with the program.

BP-turbo 93 Festiva (long gone)
1/4 mile - 12.50@111.5
Best MPG - 36.8
Reply  Post New Thread