Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2013, 07:06 PM   #21 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Have we got a bit of a double standard here? I see in today's news that Tesla is selling about the same number of its Model S (for a significantly higher price), posting an operating profit, and making its shares jump: Tesla Motors' second-quarter operating profit sends shares soaring - latimes.com

The Following User Says Thank You to jamesqf For This Useful Post:
Frank Lee (08-07-2013)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-07-2013, 07:49 PM   #22 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Actually the $5k reduction makes me want the $9k off a 2013 even more, especially if i could get the co rebate by having someone else take the hit

not sure how that would work though but a $17800 volt would definitely be up my alley. Much better money spent than on a prius, especially now that tuning methods are available to modify the engine rpms and tune nothing like a locked BSFC island or direct drive and hypermiling (like a 5sp with only top gear)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Tele man View Post
The only PROBLEM with that thought-process is that GM's battery costs (the single costliest item) has NOT (yet) gone down due to volume because Volt sales haven't been sufficient enough to achieve a volume necessary to lower "per-unit" production costs (yet).
That doesn't mean GM can't require their supplier to provide them at a lower price anyway. (also LG supplies others)

Quote:
Originally Posted by botsapper View Post
The hotter-selling 2014 Prius and all of its family models have price increases. It has more to do with disappointing Volt sales that prompt massive price decreases. GM already loses money on each Volt it sells.
(that statement as shown before is incorrect, you assume the initial capital & RD cannot be used on the other vehicles that will be going right down the same line as the GM volt and that future models will not borrow any tech from the volt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
Have we got a bit of a double standard here? I see in today's news that Tesla is selling about the same number of its Model S (for a significantly higher price), posting an operating profit, and making its shares jump: Tesla Motors' second-quarter operating profit sends shares soaring - latimes.com
Thats rich people doing stupid things for status as opposed to progress.

though maybe they are making progress anyway.

Far better to spend 50-100k on an ev than on one of the 8mpg junkers they usually get.

Last edited by rmay635703; 08-07-2013 at 08:00 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to rmay635703 For This Useful Post:
roosterk0031 (08-08-2013)
Old 08-08-2013, 01:28 PM   #23 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay635703 View Post
Thats rich people doing stupid things for status as opposed to progress.
I don't see what's stupid about the Model S (other than having that gawdawful giant touchscreen rather than usable controls). I don't want a car that big myself, but as far as range &c, it would handle every highway trip I've done in the last 5 years or so.
Old 08-08-2013, 01:44 PM   #24 (permalink)
PSmodder lurker

not sure how that would work though but a $17800 volt would definitely be up my alley. Much better money spent than on a prius, especially now that tuning methods are available to modify the engine rpms and tune nothing like a locked BSFC island or direct drive and hypermiling (like a 5sp with only top gear)

(that statement as shown before is incorrect, you assume the initial capital & RD cannot be used on the other vehicles that will be going right down the same line as the GM volt and that future models will not borrow any tech from the volt.

...wait a little bit longer and they might cut more for you (how about $7K-10K?). GM's Price Cut Won't Save Volt's Sales Jolt
Old 08-09-2013, 01:28 PM   #25 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by botsapper View Post
...wait a little bit longer and they might cut more for you (how about $7K-10K?). GM's Price Cut Won't Save Volt's Sales Jolt
Do you know what segment is selling the best? Large full size pickups.

The volt, like the leaf is experiencing culture shock, I had seen it said a few times that the prius lost Toyo money until 2005ish.

It takes a strong back and will to introduce anything remotely different into a market of mental midgets and ego / feeling driven sales.

GM is probably regretting its decision to prune the us buying public into those categories.

Reply  Post New Thread