Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2023, 03:46 AM   #21 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissandriver View Post
In the 1980s my brother was so proud he could see over the cars in his tall pickup. The thought that came to my mind was, ¨an eye for an eye makes the whole world blind.¨
Sounds quite accurate.

Quote:
I lowered my 240SX an inch. There were places it was difficult to cross the highway because the weeds would block my view. I noticed one time at a traffic light that if I looked at the Corvette in front of me that my eye level was lower than the top of his shoulders.
Makes me wonder what you would have to say about the Puma GT, a Brazilian Volkswagen-based sportscar. I have already seen some lower than the waist of an average-tall person.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-09-2023, 09:52 PM   #22 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

The last Brazilian coupé-utility I would dare to say it's compact is the VW Saveiro. All others are around the size a regular-cab Chevy S10 had around 20 years ago...

Old 07-10-2023, 10:46 AM   #23 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,223 Times in 4,650 Posts
'operator'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac Zachary View Post
I see two problems, one the operator. SUV and pickup drivers seem to be overconfident.

But in most, if not all the accidents I've seen lately, the driver claimed he couldn't see the pedestrian or cyclist. And with hood heights these days, I can see how that's possible.
A professional musician that I know bought his wife a Suburban. He explained the logic of it:
* She's the worst driver he's ever known.
* And rather than see her die in an accident of her own making; he'd surround her in a battle tank, hoping it might save her, even at the expense of probably killing whoever she collided with.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It is a contextual form of logical decision-making.
Old 07-10-2023, 10:52 AM   #24 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,223 Times in 4,650 Posts
'automatic'

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
Automatic braking should just be standard equipment these days. All cars have the necessary control due to the ABS, they just need radar to detect people and vehicles.

Regarding pickups, when there was ice a few weeks back, everyone grabbed them and left their better handling sedans at home. For some reason people think pickups with mud tires and no weight in the back is perfect for an ice rink.
I believe that these 'automatic' technologies are part of the premise for autonomous-driving vehicles.
My oldest brother, who used to work for Los Angeles County, and was responsible for the repair of damaged county property, had a rubber stamp that he'd had made, and kept on his desk labeled 'ESTO.'
One day his supervisor came by, noticed the novel stamp, and inquired as to it's origin.
My brother's remark was, 'Equipment Smarter Than Operator.'

Last edited by aerohead; 07-10-2023 at 11:00 AM.. Reason: add text
Old 07-10-2023, 12:09 PM   #25 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,392 Times in 3,366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
A professional musician that I know bought his wife a Suburban. He explained the logic of it:
* And rather than see her die in an accident of her own making; he'd surround her in a battle tank, hoping it might save her, even at the expense of probably killing whoever she collided with.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Same story with my sister. Worst driver, so buy a big 4Runner which is more difficult to maneuver than a sedan.

Cars with lane keep assist technology can be "hacked" with Comma AI to be level 2 self driving, which would be a cheaper and safer option than simply buying a bigger vehicle. Avoiding the accident is a better safety strategy.

Was trying to get my grandfather to buy something with automatic braking and lane keeping because his driving was getting so bad. Had no ability to see anything off to the side, including a bicyclist that might be in the road off to the side.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Old 07-10-2023, 04:43 PM   #26 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,067 Times in 1,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
The problem with that kind of logic is that it only looks at half the equation.

Looking at the data - Trucks and SUVs have higher survival rates in 2 car crashes as they tend to weigh more and overtop and crush smaller vehicles. They have lower survival rates in single car crashes due to higher center of gravity and lower crash standards than cars.
Old 07-10-2023, 09:39 PM   #27 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,586 Times in 7,070 Posts
With a two (or more) car accident the odds could be as good as 50-50; but in a single car accident....

Old 07-12-2023, 01:45 AM   #28 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
Looking at the data - Trucks and SUVs have higher survival rates in 2 car crashes as they tend to weigh more and overtop and crush smaller vehicles. They have lower survival rates in single car crashes due to higher center of gravity and lower crash standards than cars.
Reminds me the day I noticed a warning sticker for the risk of rollover in the dashboard of a Ford Ranger police truck, while talking with a police officer shortly after a batch of new police trucks had been comissioned.
Old 08-28-2023, 08:05 AM   #29 (permalink)
Corporate imperialist

Sub - '84 Chevy Diesel Suburban C10
SUV
90 day: 19.5 mpg (US)

camaro - '85 Chevy Camaro Z28

Riot - '03 Kia Rio POS
Team Hyundai
90 day: 30.21 mpg (US)

Bug - '01 VW Beetle GLSturbo
90 day: 26.43 mpg (US)

Sub2500 - '86 GMC Suburban C2500
90 day: 11.95 mpg (US)

Snow flake - '11 Nissan Leaf SL
SUV
90 day: 141.63 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,528 Times in 2,802 Posts
Using our plants resources to make huge battery powered vehicles in the name of "saving the planet" is a fraud.
https://youtu.be/SiRzpKWshwU
Old 08-28-2023, 01:02 PM   #30 (permalink)
High Altitude Hybrid

Avalon - '13 Toyota Avalon HV
90 day: 40.45 mpg (US)

Prius - '06 Toyota Prius
I've always held the position that if they made more efficient cars (the lightest and most aerodynamic possible) that could help solve range anxiety and provide more battery materials for other EV's.

I was standing next to a pickup yesterday that I couldn't see the top of the hood on. I'm 6'1".