Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2013, 09:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Article on air pressure under hood

AutoSpeed - Undertrays, Spoilers & Bonnet Vents, Part 1

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SmellyCat For This Useful Post:
GalwayBogger (06-03-2013), pgfpro (06-02-2013), redpoint5 (06-02-2013), sid (06-02-2013), slowmover (06-01-2013)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-31-2013, 04:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

There's another article in there about a tps mod for us lean burn honda guys. I wonder if anybody tried that yet?
Old 06-02-2013, 12:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Oh Deer - '03 Ford Ranger XL
90 day: 33.97 mpg (US)
So....not knowing anything about aerodynamics at all....what does this all mean? Are the most of us with factory "venting" of the engine bay (up around the wipers) benefiting or being hurt with the factory set up? Would extra engine bay venting (vents facing towards the back) help or screw up the "flow" over the hood? Or would moving more air through the engine bay hurt by lowering the engine temps?

I have thought about adding some some extra venting to the hood of my Ranger, but I also have a 100% upper grille block and a 50% lower grille block and now I have no fan as the fan clutch locked up over the winter and I just removed it. No extra drag from the fan but also less airflow. As of yet I don't over heat but summer is coming.

Is it better to block or restrict all airflow from the frontal area and just let the engine be cooled with airflow from the underside? And if so, is the factory "venting" enough?

Apologies the OP. Not trying to thread jack. Just very interested. Thanks
Old 06-02-2013, 01:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,790 Times in 1,959 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmellyCat View Post
Lots of good articles on that website, example below.

Custom shaped clear canopies and windscreens
AutoSpeed - Custom Bubble Canopies

Quote:
Originally Posted by hat_man View Post
So....not knowing anything about aerodynamics at all....what does this all mean? Are the most of us with factory "venting" of the engine bay (up around the wipers) benefiting or being hurt with the factory set up? .............
Good questions, seems like it would be a case by case thing.

I figure it must be like a math equation, one side has got to equal the other side.

What goes in, must come out - one way or the other.

1977 Porsche 911s Targa
1998 Chevy S-10 Pick-Up truck
1989 Scat II HP Hovercraft

Chin Spoiler:
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/off-t...effective.html

Rear Spoiler Pick Up Truck
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/off-t...xperiment.html

Roof Wing
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...1-a-19525.html
Old 06-02-2013, 04:04 PM   #5 (permalink)
herp derp Apprentice

Saturn-sold - '99 saturn sc1
Team Saturn
90 day: 28.28 mpg (US)

Yukon - '03 GMC Yukon Denali
90 day: 13.74 mpg (US)
Quote:
Are the most of us with factory "venting" of the engine bay (up around the wipers) benefiting or being hurt with the factory set up?
i'm not familiar with any modern vehicles venting near the wipers, are you sure youre not looking at the air intake for the hvac?
Old 06-02-2013, 10:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

the vent is for air for the air inside the car, thats not a vent.
Old 06-03-2013, 07:01 AM   #7 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,790 Times in 1,959 Posts
Good point, I missed his bad assumption there.

Even hood/cowl induction is an intake at that location (faces windshield), something about the pressure build-up at the base of the windshield.

1977 Porsche 911s Targa
1998 Chevy S-10 Pick-Up truck
1989 Scat II HP Hovercraft

Chin Spoiler:
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/off-t...effective.html

Rear Spoiler Pick Up Truck
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/off-t...xperiment.html

Roof Wing
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...1-a-19525.html
Old 06-04-2013, 12:15 AM   #8 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Oh Deer - '03 Ford Ranger XL
90 day: 33.97 mpg (US)
Told you all I didn't know anything. LMAO. So I guess that's an intake then. If that's the case then if you leave the grille open and the area in front of the windshield is an intake also, then all the air must leave the engine bay from the bottom?

In my un-aero mind then I still have a question. The article says that you need a pressure differential across the radiator to create flow to move air through the radiator. If the area in front of the windshield is an intake, as is the grille area with it's big gaping hole, then would there be more radiator cooling if you closed the area in front of the windshield? Just to use some arbitrary numbers if the grille area has +10 units of pressure and the area in front of the windshield has -3 units of pressure (because it's on the other side of the radiator), this makes 7 units of pressure across the radiator. If you close the area in front of the windshield (making 0 units of pressure) this would make 10 units of pressure across the radiator, right? This is assuming the "exit" air flow is out the bottom of the engine bay. All the other areas are intakes.

And secondly, if all this is true, if you put a belly pan under the engine bay and the grill and windshield area are intakes, where and how does all that air leave the engine bay?

I'm sure there is a logical answer, but I just can't wrap my head around the concept.
Old 06-04-2013, 01:49 AM   #9 (permalink)
NightKnight

RippinRoo - '05 Subaru Legacy Wagon 2.5 GT
Subaru
90 day: 21.16 mpg (US)

Helga - '00 Volkswagen Jetta TDI
TEAM VW AUDI Group
Diesel
90 day: 53.91 mpg (US)

Olga - '03 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon
90 day: 46.24 mpg (US)
From what I can tell on my car, the air entering at the base of the windshield doesn't ever enter the engine bay... it either enters through the cabin (if you have the vents open, fan on, and recirc off) or it doesn't enter at all (if you have vents closed, fan off, recirc on).

It would make sense to have the air going into the cabin separate from the air going through the engine compartment, since the smells from the engine compartment (not to mention the potentially dangerous exhaust) would not be pleasant in the cabin.
Old 06-04-2013, 07:57 AM   #10 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Deep Blue - '94 GMC Suburban K2500 SLE
90 day: 23.75 mpg (US)

Griffin (T4R) - '99 Toyota 4Runner SR5
90 day: 25.43 mpg (US)
Quote:
Told you all I didn't know anything. LMAO. So I guess that's an intake then. If that's the case then if you leave the grille open and the area in front of the windshield is an intake also, then all the air must leave the engine bay from the bottom?

In my un-aero mind then I still have a question. The article says that you need a pressure differential across the radiator to create flow to move air through the radiator. If the area in front of the windshield is an intake, as is the grille area with it's big gaping hole, then would there be more radiator cooling if you closed the area in front of the windshield? Just to use some arbitrary numbers if the grille area has +10 units of pressure and the area in front of the windshield has -3 units of pressure (because it's on the other side of the radiator), this makes 7 units of pressure across the radiator. If you close the area in front of the windshield (making 0 units of pressure) this would make 10 units of pressure across the radiator, right? This is assuming the "exit" air flow is out the bottom of the engine bay. All the other areas are intakes.

And secondly, if all this is true, if you put a belly pan under the engine bay and the grill and windshield area are intakes, where and how does all that air leave the engine bay?

I'm sure there is a logical answer, but I just can't wrap my head around the concept.
Those with more experience feel free to contradict my comments, but one of the reasons I have heard for not dumping engine air on the windshield is that it is more likely to be dusty or dirty. My car has a rubber gasket to 100% close off this area when you shut the hood.

I don't know if there is a best way to exhaust the engine compartment air, but many have dumped it out around the front tires. (This area is hardest to pan since the tires move, plus the air there is already turbulent.) If there is a gap between your pan and body all the way back, some of the air could travel there.

As for your fan clutch being bad, my advice is to get an electric fan and a temperature switch and install it. On a hot day in stop and go traffic is kind of the worst case scenario, as you aren't going fast enough to get a lot of air through your radiator, so the fan would provide some cheap insurance that your temperatures don't get excessive.

Last edited by aardvarcus; 06-04-2013 at 07:58 AM.. Reason: I can't spell.
Reply  Post New Thread