Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2012, 04:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
Grand Imperial Poobah

Dynamic ground Effects to Minimize Damage???

Does anyone else feel that eventually, automotive-type vehicles will use some sort of dynamic ground effects to mitigate or even negate pavement/curb damage?

I am leaning that way on my next aero vehicle. I understand it adds cost and complexity, but I still want to get the most aerodynamic benefit in the configuration as possible.

As a matter of fact, I have what I believe is an ideal, lightweight way to do it. Just not ready to blab about that now.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-14-2012, 04:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,207 Times in 4,640 Posts
dynamic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepherd777 View Post
Does anyone else feel that eventually, automotive-type vehicles will use some sort of dynamic ground effects to mitigate or even negate pavement/curb damage?

I am leaning that way on my next aero vehicle. I understand it adds cost and complexity, but I still want to get the most aerodynamic benefit in the configuration as possible.

As a matter of fact, I have what I believe is an ideal, lightweight way to do it. Just not ready to blab about that now.
It's been on my list long time.And I think off the shelf technology could do it,yesterday.
Cost,complexity,lifespan,parts,service,........... .... the whole echilada,will always play its part in the market.
If it's a net profit proposition in light of the 'headache' then maybe.
Certainly,it's no impediment to whacko's like us who want to push that envelope to bursting.
Sensors,logic,A-to-D converters,op-amps,solenoids,servos,pneumatcs,hydraulics,cables, springs,air pumps,vacuum pumps,FLIR,acoustics,optical recognition,laser-ranging,..................... there's a vast toolbag awaiting us.
Old 01-14-2012, 05:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Springs are the easy option. Many vehicles have ground effects that can fold/swing backward if bumped into a curb.
Old 01-14-2012, 07:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

adjustable right height is by far the best say. At low speed raise the car up. At high speed lower the car as you reduce under car air and lower your frontal area.
Old 01-14-2012, 07:49 PM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

VW Corrado's had rear spoiler that came up at 45mph, down around 5 or 15 to improve rear visibility at slow speeds. Turn that style mechanism around to go down. Rubber garden edge trim is cheap and is self clearancing.

would an air damn back at the edge of front tires be better than none at all? air would pack from it to front bumper under car, but less chance of getting damaged. Seen production cars like that. GM comes to mind.

Cars with air suspension can easily adjust ride height. But most cars have changes to alignment and suspension geometry as ride height changes. Set alignment at traveling height, the change to toe/camber/caster might not cause too much tire wear below 5mph at parking speed when height goes up.

Personally, I prefer K.I.S.S. Keep it stupid simple.
Old 01-14-2012, 08:40 PM   #6 (permalink)
Grand Imperial Poobah

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmiller100 View Post
adjustable right height is by far the best say. At low speed raise the car up. At high speed lower the car as you reduce under car air and lower your frontal area.
That may work for the average Ecomodder with an automobile.

But my Ecomodder vehicle is an 80,000 lb. BFT, with air ride cab, air ride tractor suspension, and air ride trailer suspension.

Last edited by Shepherd777; 02-26-2012 at 12:34 PM..
Old 01-14-2012, 09:01 PM   #7 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepherd777 View Post
That may work for the average Ecomodder with an automobile.

But my Ecomodder vehicle is an 80,00 lb. BFT, with air ride cab, air ride tractor suspension, and air ride trailer suspension.
I think some steel/aluminum ground effects mounted on hinges with some heavy-duty torsion springs would do the trick.

BTW, saw a feature on the truck in a recent Desktop Engineering - nice work so far
Old 02-26-2012, 12:50 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Woody - '96 Dodge Ram 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 23.82 mpg (US)

Avion and Woody - '96 Dodge/Avion Ram 2500/5th wheel combo
90 day: 15.1 mpg (US)

TD eye eye eye - '03 Volkswagen Beetle GLS
90 day: 49.05 mpg (US)

Mule - '07 Dodge Ram 3500 ST
My travel trailer design depends on squatting down to reduce frontal area and air underneath. it has been suggested by some that a trailer only 6" off the ground with a smooth belly might be worse off than a higher one in the drag department.
I imagine a detrimental sort of "suction", more like a nightmare
If it is proven that I am being paranoid, I will "keep on keeping on" with it, and use the vehicle's VSS signal to trigger a raising event at 20 MPH or so.
The truck I will push down to a practical 8" or so in front. Low enough to help, not low enough to ding on a common curb.

2007 Dodge Ram 3500 SRW 4x4 with 6MT
2003 TDI Beetle
2002 TDI Beetle

currently parked - 1996 Dodge 2500 Cummins Turbodiesel
Custom cab, auto, 3.55 gears
Old 03-11-2012, 11:04 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

In the Northeast snow clearance may become an issue on occasion. See Dr. Joseph Kastner on race car aerodynamics ground effects. The aim is low drag rather than downforce. You could activate a subframe assembly using air cylinders.
Old 03-12-2012, 12:58 AM   #10 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Several of the higher-$$ Porsches raise themselves up at low speeds, and squat down at higher speeds. I think there's at least one that also has a "driveway button" that raises the nose even further to (theoretically) avoid damaging the front splitter/spoiler/airdam when going up a driveway.

Check the Cayenne Turbo, the 911 Turbo, and the 911 GT2 from recent years. I've also read similar things about other high-end (high-$$) sporty or luxury cars.

Their system isn't cheap. A creative person could do the same sort of thing for much less.

-soD

Reply  Post New Thread