Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > The Unicorn Corral
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2014, 10:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
Drive less save more

Dusty - '98 VOLKSWAGEN Beetle TDI
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 60.42 mpg (US)
Mix transmission fluid in diesel fuel for longevity.

A common practice with many diesel heavy equipment owners is to add 1/4 cup of transmission fluid per 150L of diesel to keep their diesel semi's or equipments fuel pump lubricated and engine carbon free.

Myth or real benefit is what I am curious about, and is it ATF or type F fluid that works best ?

Since I have a tired old diesel fuel pump ($1800) I am going to start adding trans fluid to my fill ups to lube the pump , not sure if it will actually clean carbon but lubricating the fuel pump sounds probable to me..

for my fill ups of 55L i will add 1/10th a cup / 25ml of ATF

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-17-2014, 12:30 AM   #2 (permalink)
Corporate imperialist

Sub - '84 Chevy Diesel Suburban C10
SUV
90 day: 19.5 mpg (US)

camaro - '85 Chevy Camaro Z28

Riot - '03 Kia Rio POS
Team Hyundai
90 day: 30.21 mpg (US)

Bug - '01 VW Beetle GLSturbo
90 day: 26.43 mpg (US)

Sub2500 - '86 GMC Suburban C2500
90 day: 11.95 mpg (US)

Snow flake - '11 Nissan Leaf SL
SUV
90 day: 141.63 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,522 Times in 2,796 Posts
I will put a gallon of used ATF in 15 to 20 gallons of fuel.
Does it save fuel, I dont know, but it saved that gallon.
Does it it make the fuel lube better, yeah it makes it really oily.
Old 04-17-2014, 12:39 AM   #3 (permalink)
Not banned yet

Blue - '03 Chevy S-10, LS
oil burner people say use only a certified product, like power service. others use 2 stroke oil with good results.
Old 04-17-2014, 06:47 AM   #4 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,447 Posts
ATF is not formulated to be burnt, so it's not really that safe to be blended with the fuel. I'd rather use 2-stroke oil, or even pure vegetable oil, instead of ATF or brake fluid.
Old 04-17-2014, 08:52 AM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Homer - '02 Pontiac Sunfire SE
Team Pontiac
90 day: 30.05 mpg (US)
I have a friend who ran ATF in a VW TDI and said it ran better than anything else he put in there and that it cleaned a lot of carbon out of the engine too cause when he started it up it belched a ton of thick black smoke. But then ran better than even diesel did in his car.
Old 04-17-2014, 10:46 AM   #6 (permalink)
Corporate imperialist

Sub - '84 Chevy Diesel Suburban C10
SUV
90 day: 19.5 mpg (US)

camaro - '85 Chevy Camaro Z28

Riot - '03 Kia Rio POS
Team Hyundai
90 day: 30.21 mpg (US)

Bug - '01 VW Beetle GLSturbo
90 day: 26.43 mpg (US)

Sub2500 - '86 GMC Suburban C2500
90 day: 11.95 mpg (US)

Snow flake - '11 Nissan Leaf SL
SUV
90 day: 141.63 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,522 Times in 2,796 Posts
You dont use brake fluid. Its hygroscopic.
Vegetable oil is good to.
2 stroke oil is very good but its expensive.
Old 04-17-2014, 07:59 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

When I owned a mercedes 240 d it was recommended to do that too. Engine or atf fluid. I use to use the stuff in the grey bottle as well.
Old 04-18-2014, 02:18 AM   #8 (permalink)
Drive less save more

TEAM VW AUDI Group
Thanks for the tips and opinions, it sounds promising ,has today's Diesel been reformulated ? That's what I read , I think I'll find that link later..
when lube is needed it all will help is what i picked up.

Oil pan you burn a heavy blend,makes me think I am playing it to safe with my 25ml per 55l estimate. I think I could splurge a full cup of and be plenty safe ..

CriPpLeD roOsTeRoster, that makes sense, 2 stroke is meant to be burnt as opposed to ATF fluid.

I need a better 2 stroke explanation but this one is a start..
2-Stroke

Many a times when you read on online forums or talk to fellow motorcyclist/scooterist, you will find that there is general idea that synthetic is better than mineral (non-synthetic) oil. Why? because as people claim, it gives more power, and is smoother, whatever. Bull.

The truth is that synthetic may or may not always be better than non-synthetic oils. For a clearer picture, one should look at the performance quality classification label on the bottle. I shall refer to the Japanese JASO standard as it is most frequently used. http://vesporeanfaq.wikispaces.com/t...t+2-stroke+oil

follow the link for wikipedia with the JASO standards:

`````````````````````````````````````````````````` ``````````

Automatic transmission fluid - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

or a good snippet below:

Most ATFs contain some combination of additives that improve lubricating qualities,[1][2][3] such as anti-wear additives, rust and corrosion inhibitors, detergents, dispersants and surfactants (which protect and clean metal surfaces); kinematic viscosity and viscosity index improvers and modifiers, seal swell additives and agents (which extend the rotational speed range and temperature range of the additives' application); anti-foam additives and anti-oxidation compounds to inhibit oxidation and "boil-off"[4] (which extends the life of the additives' application); cold-flow improvers, high-temperature thickeners, gasket conditioners, pour point depressant and petroleum dye. All ATFs contain friction modifiers, except for those ATFs specified for some Ford transmissions and the John Deere J-21A specification;[5] the Ford ESP (or ESW) - M2C-33 F specification Type F ATF (Ford-O-Matic) and Ford ESP (or ESW) - M2C-33 G specification Type G ATF (1980s Ford Europe and Japan)[6] specifically excludes the addition of friction modifiers.

`````````````````````````````````````````````````` ``````````

the ATF additives make it attractive to People, I suspect, If it cleans and lubes It may be superior , although its meant to clean and lube gears not so much combustion chambers.

ATF could help seals of the fuel system , possibly injectors and fuel pump seals and gears, not sure what 2 stroke adds besides lube ir may well have detergents.

Old 04-18-2014, 08:45 AM   #9 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,447 Posts
Synthetic 2-stroke oil is supposed to burn cleaner and decrease the incidence of carbon deposits around the spark plug electrode, while still lubricating more efficiently. But the main concern was about the smoke and carbon deposits.

Diesel fuel obviously had some changes, not just due to the lower amount of sulphur but also due to imrpovements at the modern injection systems and lower combustion temperatures at some of the most advanced engines to meet current emissions standards.
Old 04-18-2014, 05:19 PM   #10 (permalink)
Drive less save more

TEAM VW AUDI Group
The 2 stroke oil may not be the answer short of buying the synthetic it seems, but its to expensive. The ATF seems hopeful but does have some good properties, it may well need a strong mix rates to be effective.

Someone told me today that a Farmer (in Alberta) uses 1L ATF per 200L of diesel in his equipment , for he said to keep the fuel system and motor clean problem free.
1 cup to 50L is 192 to 1 , much like my Yamaha 2 stroke outboard which is 200 to 1

Oil Pan your mix , 15-1 is strong but I expect I could clean the system with that strength then add less to maintain, maybe my car needs that, I may well try.
I need to find used ATF or I need to find someplace that would be happy to give me a jug.

Reply  Post New Thread