Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2010, 09:05 PM   #11 (permalink)
Cd
Ultimate Fail

Thanked 1,121 Times in 679 Posts
I don't understand how that states can have a no inspection policy.
I'm surprised that you don't end up seeing more heaps of junk on the road from all the cars falling apart.

Basjoos also lives where he can get away with no inspection.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-17-2010, 09:10 PM   #12 (permalink)
Cd
Ultimate Fail

For safety I would mount the windows just tight enough that they would pop out with a swift punch ( from the inside )
Shards of plexi can still be a real hazard in a accident.
Old 02-17-2010, 09:10 PM   #13 (permalink)
ecomonkey

silver clown - '02 toyota echo 2 door base
90 day: 47.16 mpg (US)

white ghost - '05 prius base
90 day: 47.53 mpg (US)

white pearl - '12 toyota prius base
Last 3: 45.69 mpg (US)
you really dont see many junkers around,,, i dont know why ,i owned a car lot about 7 years ago and we had emissions test,s we had to do and have a cert to sell the car, but they even stopped that,,,, havent had safty inspections for about 20 years. dont know why but happy not to have to fool with it. some times if you look modified a cop will put a mirror under your car to look for cats, but thats about it.
Old 02-17-2010, 10:02 PM   #14 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonmonkey View Post
you really dont see many junkers around,,, i dont know why ,i owned a car lot about 7 years ago and we had emissions test,s we had to do and have a cert to sell the car, but they even stopped that,,,, havent had safty inspections for about 20 years. dont know why but happy not to have to fool with it. some times if you look modified a cop will put a mirror under your car to look for cats, but thats about it.
It's funny that the states with no inspection don't have as many junkers as the states with tight inspection procedures, isn't it?

Look around here.. there are so many people who just barely pass inspection every year, it's not even funny any more.

I'm not sure about the back windows, guys, just relaying stuff I've heard, not entirely sure of it's accuracy. Cops are usually a pretty legitimate source of information, but sometimes if they don't know, they'll tell you it's illegal to prevent further questions.

I suggest asking your local DOT about it, they'd know best. Either way, it's probably federally illegal, I'd imagine.

Old 02-17-2010, 11:02 PM   #15 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

AlienMobile - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
90 day: 80.05 mpg (US)
Is there a way to lower the engine rpm's on the highway?

I drove my daughter's Echo about two weeks ago, and kept checking for a higher gear. To my ear it seemed that the engine was revving way higher than the Insight.

That would surely help, if possible.

Jim.
Old 02-17-2010, 11:07 PM   #16 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

AlienMobile - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
90 day: 80.05 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ View Post
...I suggest asking your local DOT about it, they'd know best. Either way, it's probably federally illegal, I'd imagine...
I just found out that my local DOT is only in the business of titling a vehicle. I wrote a letter to them about extending the tail of my car, and this is the message I got back.

Now my safety inspector, who is a state patrol officer, has an entirely different mindset regarding modifications to vehicles, but the DOT is really only interested in one thing.

I would really check with the state patrol and ask about documents regarding custom vehicles. The Wisconsin State Patrol has some related documents on-line and will help you get started regarding state and federal requirements.

My state patrol officer said he is getting so many requests lately that he is deferring all future requests directly to the DOT, who are not really able to help. It sounds like a catch 22 to me, but that's how it's going right now.

If anyone has other input, let me know.

Jim.
Old 02-17-2010, 11:53 PM   #17 (permalink)
ecomonkey

silver clown - '02 toyota echo 2 door base
90 day: 47.16 mpg (US)

white ghost - '05 prius base
90 day: 47.53 mpg (US)

white pearl - '12 toyota prius base
Last 3: 45.69 mpg (US)
3 wheeler, my friend is looking to see if another differential will fit an echo with a taller gear,, i know it revs high @ 60 its revving about 2550 if i recall correctly, i dont think my friend is going to be able to find a diff,but if he does i would install it, i need to replace the clutch soon anyway (throwout bearing rattiling) im also going to lrr tires soon as i have 2 maypops now. but i know there is alot of improvment at the rear of an echo,and even if the tires and diff get me 60 mpg i think, i cant stop modding,, its a 154k mile econobox so im not that averse to cutting on it, it cost me $6k 4 years ago,,
Old 02-18-2010, 10:46 AM   #18 (permalink)
Aero Wannabe

TDi - '04 VW Golf
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 53.2 mpg (US)
Just my 2¢... This is a unibody car, not body-on-frame. Therefore the speaker shelf and even the glued-in side and rear glass are structural members of the unibody. I would encourage you to unbolt the trunk lid, taillights etc. to build your boattail but I would be very hesitant to cut up the passenger compartment (unless you plan to weld in a tube frame ala CoyoteX). This would be a quicker build and would keep the passenger compartment airtight and watertight. It would still be possible to add a second rear glass (acrylic) to get the taper you want and add length as needed. Put your mirrors back on and test it in cardboard first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
The power needed to push an object through a fluid increases as the cube of the velocity. Mechanical friction increases as the square, so increasing speed requires progressively more power.

Last edited by COcyclist; 02-18-2010 at 01:44 PM..
Old 02-18-2010, 03:36 PM   #19 (permalink)
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
Moon: I take it you've seen this (just in case, this is a reminder):
Crazy aeromodded Metro - chopped & teardropped

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread
Old 02-18-2010, 05:33 PM   #20 (permalink)
Cd
Ultimate Fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piwoslaw View Post
Moon: I take it you've seen this (just in case, this is a reminder):
Crazy aeromodded Metro - chopped & teardropped

( The whole reason that I suggested checking out the legality of plexi / lexan for windows, was due to the original thread that was discussed on this very car.
One of the guys made a comment that the car could no longer be legal due to the window issue. )

Reply  Post New Thread