Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2010, 09:34 PM   #21 (permalink)
ecomonkey

silver clown - '02 toyota echo 2 door base
90 day: 47.16 mpg (US)

white ghost - '05 prius base
90 day: 47.53 mpg (US)

white pearl - '12 toyota prius base
Last 3: 45.69 mpg (US)
after comments/thoughts/study,,I think i am going to try to keep the original passenger compartment intact,,,,,messing with windsheld relocation is a night mare,so back to the easier option of not cutting the passenger compartment.
for a few reasons uni-body is cad designed, and re doing the roofline is major work,,, i was thinking of going as far as welding a kammback above the existing rear window and try to create a body style similar to the citaron piwoslaw recomended, except extend it a little farther back,,, maybe as much as 18-30" behind the trunklid ,to get the rear area minimised,but cutting it off abruptly (christ's trapizoid) and making a usable hatch,,doing it this way i could go with or without the original back glass installed,, that should satisfy any legal problems,,, after all having the plexi as a secondary window would be alot like just driving around carrying the sheet around.and removing the trunklid/taillights/bumpercover is easy and if ever needed can be reversed,with a little grinding/sanding/bondo to remove the welded sections over the rear window/and rear quater panels.tring to think of a way to make it look sort of factory. thanks for all the input it ,gets the creative jucies flowing!

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-18-2010, 10:13 PM   #22 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

AlienMobile - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
90 day: 80.05 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cd View Post
I don't understand how that states can have a no inspection policy.
I'm surprised that you don't end up seeing more heaps of junk on the road from all the cars falling apart.

Basjoos also lives where he can get away with no inspection.
Hi Cd,

Here is what my State of Wisconsin Inspector said, regarding modification to vehicles...

"Basically if a vehicle is not "substantially altered" (no longer readily visible as original vehicle)no higher safety standards are required other than state law."

So adding a tail extension to the Insight for example, still renders the vehicle in "stock" appearance, mechanically. If the structural integrity of the vehicle is heavily altered, then the situation would be different.

Jim.
Old 02-18-2010, 11:16 PM   #23 (permalink)
ecomonkey

another poor art rendering

try to imagine the grey area matching ,the original silver (sqwint eyes), the black represents sheet metal bent and welded onto existing body.The kammback above the rear window would be braced to hold the heinges for the hatch. the silver is acrylic (plexiglass) heat formed, maybe with thin metal rods to help it hold an arched shape ,or maybe leave it fairly flat ,this is going to take a little while to design so it looks good, ill probably paint the whole car black also ,even ugly cars look ok black. maybe a hatch from a junk yard car might fit,, although i dont know of one that will taper in enough toward the rear where the narrowing is going on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	005.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	5632  
Old 02-18-2010, 11:21 PM   #24 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
IF you like giant tail lights, some of the older Audi's have nice, big bugeye lights on them.

If you just want a quick light that installs in the corners, and is a pretty plain shape, look at 80-96 Ford F-series trucks. It's about as square as they get!

Old 02-18-2010, 11:34 PM   #25 (permalink)
ecomonkey

be good for the flow seperation ala volt where they put the small 5mm line on the rear edge,,, my echo lights are about as round and non aero as they get,next time im at u-pull it junk yard ill check the ford truck lights out ..tail light assy = $25.00 apeice there.
Old 02-18-2010, 11:41 PM   #26 (permalink)

They're like $0.40/inch here on the longest dimension. You really get screwed if you have one of those really long tail lights that goes all the way across the car.

Old 02-20-2010, 02:06 PM   #27 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,221 Times in 4,648 Posts
$$$$$$$ at the pump

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonmonkey View Post
try to imagine the grey area matching ,the original silver (sqwint eyes), the black represents sheet metal bent and welded onto existing body.The kammback above the rear window would be braced to hold the heinges for the hatch. the silver is acrylic (plexiglass) heat formed, maybe with thin metal rods to help it hold an arched shape ,or maybe leave it fairly flat ,this is going to take a little while to design so it looks good, ill probably paint the whole car black also ,even ugly cars look ok black. maybe a hatch from a junk yard car might fit,, although i dont know of one that will taper in enough toward the rear where the narrowing is going on.
For what you've shown I believe you'll be rewarded at the pump.
I would recommend that you investigate a really nice top quality trunk-mount bicycle rack as a form of attachment.
Modern units are so well conceived and constructed,that you could attach your entire mods to one,without sacrificing the body of the Echo and allow easy on and off should your utility needs change.Just a thought.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aerohead For This Useful Post:
moonmonkey (02-20-2010), Piwoslaw (02-20-2010)
Old 02-20-2010, 02:24 PM   #28 (permalink)
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
I would recommend that you investigate a really nice top quality trunk-mount bicycle rack as a form of attachment.
Modern units are so well conceived and constructed,that you could attach your entire mods to one,without sacrificing the body of the Echo and allow easy on and off should your utility needs change.Just a thought.
Phil, you're a genius.

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread
Old 02-20-2010, 09:23 PM   #29 (permalink)
ecomonkey

Phil ,,always nice to get a second opinion from someone who acually knows aero,, thanks i will continue to post revised "art" of the design i am going to try like heck to make this look like it was made by a factory, maybe a factory that builds ugly cars,,,,
Old 02-20-2010, 11:11 PM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
For what you've shown I believe you'll be rewarded at the pump.
For the longest time, I thought of building a ricer-wing that would mount to a bike rack for when there were no bikes on it.

I was certain someone would buy it... LOL.

Reply  Post New Thread