Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2013, 06:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Oh Deer - '03 Ford Ranger XL
90 day: 33.97 mpg (US)
ScanGauge or MPGuino

Hello,

I'm sure this has been asked before but a search here and on Google only turns up limited information. I am just trying to check myself on the info I have read.

I have a '97 Ford Ranger 2.3l 5sp manual. It seems that the ScanGauge does not work with this truck. I am only looking to have an instant mpg and average mpg readout. I assume that this is because there is some sensor or other input missing from this truck.

The MPGuino looks like it is a bit above my "skill set" as I would prefer something that is more plug and play.

I have thought about installing a vacuum gauge, but I thought I had read somewhere that they can be a bit unreliable. I am no mechanic so I don't really know if this is true or not and probably don't have the skills to get this done either.

Does anyone have any ideas on what I could use to get the instant and average read-outs I am looking for?

Thanks

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-10-2013, 07:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

A vacuum gauge will not tell you average MPG. It won't really tell you instant MPG either, but it will tell you how hard you are asking your engine to work at any given moment, which at least tells you "using more fuel" or "using less fuel".

The Scangauge isn't an option in your case.

The only option for you seems to be the MPGuino. If you have a buddy who tinkers with electronics, he can help you build it. Or you might be able to buy one that is already built. (Maybe post a WTB ad in the Instrumentation forum?) But you would still have to find and tap into the fuel injector signal wire and vehicle speed wire.

-soD
Old 03-10-2013, 09:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
OCD Master EcoModder

Outasight - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights
90 day: 54.18 mpg (US)
Yes, if a ScanGauge truly doesn't work on your vehicle, I think an MPGuino is your only real option. But it's a good option, as I see it.

You can buy it assembled. See the "instrumentation" forum here, and then the "MPGuino" subforum under that. They come without a case but my first case for mine was cardboard and perfectly usable. Yes you might need a buddy to get it wired into the Ranger but don't let that stop you. Wiring it in is not a huge job.

Just remember: For connecting to the VSS and injector signals, you can chose between connecting at the computer, or at the device itself. Use whichever is easiest for you or your helper buddy.

Old 03-11-2013, 09:58 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Civic CX/HX - '97 Honda Civic CX/HX
Team Honda
90 day: 63.77 mpg (US)
Wow, I am shocked scangauge does not work in the ranger. I have a 97 ranger as well, but only driving it 1 -2 times a week for short distances so never installed the scan guage. I will have to check this out!

Also, I will support what everyone is saying. The MPGuino is the way to go. It is the most accruate and is the cheapest option. You can find a few people on here making premade usits for sale. Good luck!
Old 03-11-2013, 07:27 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Shoot, I thought the OP said "95" and not "97". Not sure what the standard is for trucks, but all cars for model year 1996 and later must have OBD2, which is what the ScanGauge (and UltraGauge) plug into. Truck rules sometimes lag car rules, so a 97 Ranger might or might not have an OBD2 plug above the driver's left knee.

Sorry if I was spreading any misinformation!

-soD
Old 03-12-2013, 06:47 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

SoD...I think it has something with not having certain sensors on my '97. The ScanGauge website has a listing of compatible vehicles and mine is one of the "exceptions". I think I am going to have to try and find a pre-assembled MPGuino and find some help getting it wired in.
Old 03-13-2013, 04:58 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Berta - '97 BMW 318 tds Compact
90 day: 62.03 mpg (US)

Charlie - '07 Citroen C4 Grand Picasso Exclusive
90 day: 37.58 mpg (US)

Corsa - '05 Opel Corsa C
90 day: 53.22 mpg (US)

Mruczek - '03 Audi A2
90 day: 60.61 mpg (US)
Quote:
The MPGuino looks like it is a bit above my "skill set" as I would prefer something that is more plug and play.
Installing MPGuino is very simple, You just need to hook up 4 cables and calibrate it. It's not a rocket science. And I'm sure you'll find any help needed here.

Quote:
Gerhard Plattner: "The best attitude is to consider fuel saving a kind of sport. Everybody who has enough money for a strong car, can drive fast and hit the pedal. But saving fuel requires concentration, self-control and cleverness. It's a challenge with the nice effect of saving you money that you can use for other more important things."
Old 03-13-2013, 06:33 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

AndrzejM....maybe I'll have to look into it further. What do these 4 cables hook up to?
Old 03-13-2013, 06:50 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I believe they're power (+12V), ground, vehicle speed sensor, and injector pulse.

-soD
The Following User Says Thank You to some_other_dave For This Useful Post:
AndrzejM (03-14-2013)
Old 03-13-2013, 07:19 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

SoD...is it just a matter of tapping into vss and injector wires? Power and ground would be pretty easy. Maybe this isn't as hard as I am thinking it is.

Reply  Post New Thread