Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2013, 12:18 AM   #61 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enki View Post
Ideally, I'd retrofit a common rail pump from a diesel for higher flow and bolt that up to solve fueling supply issues and take some much needed stress off the cam (fuel pump is cam-driven on the opposite side of where the cam chains up to the crank, inciting torsional stress on the intake side, which also has VVT).
In drag-races I've already seen engines assembled with Diesel blocks, a few ones with the stock Diesel head (with higher gaskets to lower the compression) modded to get spark plugs where the stock glowplugs would be while other ones had gasser heads fitted. If the MZR-CD was available back there, it could be a good base for such attempt to break the 200MPH barrier. We might wait to see if somebody will attempt it with the upcoming SkyActiv-D

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-11-2013, 12:42 AM   #62 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

You mean diesel head mounted to a direct injection gas motor? That is an interesting thought, but I'm not sure that helps with fueling issues. Someone has already developed an aux fuel controller for these cars that will run a set of port injectors; the mapping for it in the ECU is kind of crazy, but it works and is good for upwards of 700 horse on a modded factory head.
Old 04-11-2013, 12:47 AM   #63 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enki View Post
You mean diesel head mounted to a direct injection gas motor? That is an interesting thought, but I'm not sure that helps with fueling issues. Someone has already developed an aux fuel controller for these cars that will run a set of port injectors; the mapping for it in the ECU is kind of crazy, but it works and is good for upwards of 700 horse on a modded factory head.
Some of the gassers worked around to use Diesel heads weren't necessarily fitted from the factory with direct injection, but an aftermarket EFI module (Fueltech is the most popular brand back here) could fix that issue
Old 04-11-2013, 12:50 AM   #64 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Ah, well this thing is already direct injection, which is part of the problem. Not enough fuel without spending quite a bit of money on aux fueling.

I'd rather put that money into something that is guaranteed to smash through the 200 MPH barrier than continuously fight with this thing (which is exactly what I've done, or am doing now).

Tags
200 mph, mazda, shaved, speed