Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2019, 08:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 40.51 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,554 Posts
Ecomodding work van - 2015 Ford Transit Connect

When asked which vehicle I wanted, I chose the smallest one in the fleet and the tech driving it before was moved to a full size van.

Introduction: Ford Transit Connect

Some pictures:

EPA rating is 20 city / 28 highway / 23 combined

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/bymo..._Connect.shtml

Fueled up today to see a huge improvement after months of winter blues. I don't pay for fuel, but I'm feeling inspired to further improve the fuel economy in my work van.

I filled up today to get... wait for it... 23.9mpg. I was thrilled; my last tank was barely over 20. It's mostly hanging out in the 40's F right now with lots of rain, and there is both a conduit and populated ladder rack on the roof. I want to say the tech driving it before was getting ballpark 14-16 in good weather, so 24 is phenomenal by comparison, even if I'm only barely making EPA for mixed driving.

Relevant specs:

-4 cylinder Mazda 2.5L engine
-6 speed auto with the following gears:
* 1st - 4.58
* 2nd - 2.96
* 3rd - 1.91
* 4th - 1.45
* 5th - 1.00
* 6th - 0.75
* Final drive - 3.21
-215/55r16 wheels
-Estimated 0.32 Cd before racks and accessories
-Estimated 3400lbs empty

Here it is graphed next to the Insight's (very tall) transmission:

Insight Blue | Connect Green

I haven't yet fully figured out the transmission logic. It will very occasionally shift into 6th as low as 40mph (around 1300rpm) but is really reluctant to go into 6th below ~50mph. It's generally not possible to speed up to force a shift, then slow back down, as the transmission will go back into the gear it wanted to be in. Downhills don't seem to encourage it, so I'm thinking it may look for a certain period of driving at steady load.

Fun fact: The Connect is built in Europe and shipped to the US with a rear seat and window so as to avoid the Chicken Tax. The seat is then removed and it's sold as a cargo van.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-26-2019, 08:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

As a baseline, I've found I can pretty easily make 20mpg city, 28mpg @ 55mph on rainy 40F days and ~30mpg on warm, clear days. Peak fuel economy seems to be around 35-42mph.

It probably goes without saying, but I don't have the option of many visible exterior modifications.

Van still has its winter tires on. I'm hoping to see improvement once I swap them out for summers. First modification was tire pressure. I was pleasantly surprised to find they were already at ~40psi, but I went ahead and aired them up to 48.

The elephant in the living room is the rack on the roof. The conduit tube is non-negotiable. I need both ladders with me at all times. I could potentially keep the smaller one inside the van, hanging from the ceiling, if I rig up a holster for it, but in some cases I could see it being a hindrance.

Thoughts on flipping the ladders around, so the narrow end is toward the back of the van? Might a front wind deflector improve aero, or would the added frontal area hurt more than it helps?
Old 04-26-2019, 08:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Toby - '13 Toyota Prius C
90 day: 61.95 mpg (US)

Daz - '15 Mazda 3 iTouring w/ Tech Package
90 day: 38.2 mpg (US)
Noticed the second Fit in the background, do you have two now?

Surprised at the relatively low coefficient of drag for such a boxy vehicle.

Are they okay with you modifying the vehicle?

2015 Mazda 3 iTouring Hatchback w/ Tech Package (wife's car)
Old 04-26-2019, 08:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpg_numbers_guy View Post
Noticed the second Fit in the background, do you have two now?

Surprised at the relatively low coefficient of drag for such a boxy vehicle.

Are they okay with you modifying the vehicle?
Second Fit is my brother's. He's staying with me until he gets on his feet, just moved up to Vermont for a job. Job market is booming here and the pay is good, took him 2 days to land something here whereas he'd been looking for 3 years in Florida with the same resume.

Modifications will need to be subtle and inexpensive, but mostly I want to just keep track of fuel economy. Tire pressure is free and not going to bother anyone. Something like a wind deflector for the ladders or moving one of them inside the van are the sorts of things I'm considering, but I'm open to suggestions.
Old 04-26-2019, 09:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

UFI - '12 Fiat 500 Twinair
Team Turbocharged!
90 day: 40.3 mpg (US)

Jeep - '05 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
90 day: 18.09 mpg (US)

R32 - '89 Nissan Skyline

STiG - '16 Renault Trafic 140dCi Energy
90 day: 30.12 mpg (US)

Prius - '05 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 50.25 mpg (US)

Premodded - '49 Ford Freighter
90 day: 13.48 mpg (US)

F-117 - '10 Proton Arena GLSi
Pickups
Mitsubishi
90 day: 37.82 mpg (US)

Ralica - '85 Toyota Celica ST
90 day: 25.23 mpg (US)

Sx4 - '07 Suzuki Sx4
90 day: 32.21 mpg (US)

F-117 (2) - '03 Citroen Xsara VTS
90 day: 30.06 mpg (US)
I have one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/Werner-MT-13-.../dp/B0000VYDHA

It stores vertically in even the smallest van , but extends to cover 95% of my ladder needs. Much easier than putting one on the roof (lifting and strapping down) and in my case I don't need roof racks at all (since I can fit an 8' ladder inside on days when I might need one). In it's shortest mode the footprint is small so handy in tight spaces like bathrooms and kitchens - so no need for a dedicated 3' ladder either.

One of the best things I've ever bought. The only downside is that when extended only the middle rungs are broad, which can get tiresome on your feet if you're on it all day.

Old 04-26-2019, 10:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Unfortunately I need to use ladders provided by my employer, I was told for insurance reasons. I have a Little Giant as an option, but it's a 60lb ladder and I weigh only 115 on a good day, so handling it is darn near dangerous if I'm not at my best. That ladder stays at the shop unless I have no other options. Maybe at some point I can request something else, but for now I carry the lightest 6' and a standard 8' with me, and take the Little Giant when I need an extension ladder.

I might get one for home use, however.
Old 04-27-2019, 03:38 AM   #7 (permalink)
Master procastinator

Turan turan - '09 Volkswagen Touran Freestyle

Combot - '04 Opel Combo Tour
90 day: 40.37 mpg (US)
That's a nice looking work van. Why on earth is it a gasoline with an automatic?
Old 04-27-2019, 05:59 AM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

2004 CTD - '04 DODGE RAM 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)
The trick to a work vehicle is the relation between AVERAGE mpg and mph.

The latter fairly well predicts the former. Above 26-mph is where things get good.

A journal for fuel that shows all that’s important is how I worked mine. Engine hours per re-fill, dates, distance, averages, etc.

An engines life is pretty much HOW MANY GALLONS? Not miles or hours.

So, where to park and how to park it. “Nose-in” not acceptable ever. Not for safety or FE. Etc.

When at supply house, shortest amount of time stuck there, etc. MAPQUEST Best Order Routing.

Our company has one as a run around. Not bad to drive. Takes right foot awhile to learn what it likes (big truck REALLY long to learn now).

The money is always the highest average MPH, and in never using brakes.

Last edited by slowmover; 04-27-2019 at 06:05 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to slowmover For This Useful Post:
Ecky (04-27-2019)
Old 04-28-2019, 10:06 AM   #9 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The SCUD - '15 Fiat Scudo L2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
The conduit tube is non-negotiable. I need both ladders with me at all times.
Put them alongside - now there's lots of space , thus ample space for turbulence between them.

Quote:
I could potentially keep the smaller one inside the van, hanging from the ceiling, if I rig up a holster for it, but in some cases I could see it being a hindrance.
I know Fiat have an OEM ladder rack @ the ceiling for their vans, wouldn't Ford have one too ?

Quote:
Thoughts on flipping the ladders around, so the narrow end is toward the back of the van?
Try it
Whatever appears to be quieter is good.

Quote:
Might a front wind deflector improve aero, or would the added frontal area hurt more than it helps?
You got the frontal area anyway, either by the stuff you carry on the rack, or a deflector...

Reply  Post New Thread