Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2021, 06:56 PM   #61 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanked 1,177 Times in 807 Posts
I don't think towing that much on any Rav4 is a very good idea. Going 500 pounds over is one thing almost doubled is another. The TRD and Adventure do get a 3500 pound tow rating so 4000 wouldn't seem that far off but you also run into payload ratings as well. 10% of the weight onbthe tounge is not enough in my experience especially when you use a weight distribution hitch (which you should with that much weight) as the hitch will move some of the weight back to the trailer axle as well as the front axle of the truck. So to get it rock steady at 65 mph+ downhill, windy, with cars passing (because that's when sway will suddenly sneak up and bite you) I'd run at least 12% but shoot for 15%. Now also consider any WHD hitch head and bars with sway control will also add probably 70 more pounds puts you at 580 pounds hanging off the unibody rear. (The TRD only gets 1050 pound rating) So just a driver and a passenger without luggage will be fine, but you see lots of people running both the car and trailer packed and not many things are designed to do both haul and tow.

That said, don't look at airbags, see if Timbren makes a load helper for it. They are great, they replace the suspension stop bumper with a bigger heavy duty peice. Unloaded it doesn't touch the harpoints so the ride is 100% factory, as soon as you add some weight it starts helping increase the resistance progressively getting harder and harder. But it never leaks, never needs adjusting, is always ready, and the last set I put in took no tools but a jack and 10 mins. Not all go in that easy though, I also put them on a 2500 Chevy Duramax and that needed a bracket bolted on. Both sets were under $300 if I remember.

The Following User Says Thank You to Hersbird For This Useful Post:
redpoint5 (07-02-2021)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-02-2021, 07:24 PM   #62 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
I have already seen a Brazilian Yaris (which is the same as the Thai model) towing one of those horse trailers. Not that I would be willing to try it, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a Rav4 handling it better.
Old 07-02-2021, 07:54 PM   #63 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Jeep - '97 Jeep Cherokee Sport
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)

Blueberry - '07 Toyota Camry SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersbird View Post
I don't think towing that much on any Rav4 is a very good idea. Going 500 pounds over is one thing almost doubled is another. The TRD and Adventure do get a 3500 pound tow rating so 4000 wouldn't seem that far off but you also run into payload ratings as well. 10% of the weight onbthe tounge is not enough in my experience especially when you use a weight distribution hitch (which you should with that much weight) as the hitch will move some of the weight back to the trailer axle as well as the front axle of the truck. So to get it rock steady at 65 mph+ downhill, windy, with cars passing (because that's when sway will suddenly sneak up and bite you) I'd run at least 12% but shoot for 15%. Now also consider any WHD hitch head and bars with sway control will also add probably 70 more pounds puts you at 580 pounds hanging off the unibody rear. (The TRD only gets 1050 pound rating) So just a driver and a passenger without luggage will be fine, but you see lots of people running both the car and trailer packed and not many things are designed to do both haul and tow.

That said, don't look at airbags, see if Timbren makes a load helper for it. They are great, they replace the suspension stop bumper with a bigger heavy duty peice. Unloaded it doesn't touch the harpoints so the ride is 100% factory, as soon as you add some weight it starts helping increase the resistance progressively getting harder and harder. But it never leaks, never needs adjusting, is always ready, and the last set I put in took no tools but a jack and 10 mins. Not all go in that easy though, I also put them on a 2500 Chevy Duramax and that needed a bracket bolted on. Both sets were under $300 if I remember.
The Prime is rated for 2500 lbs. I plan on buying a 3000 lb trailer.

Load helpers would add a lot of stability. I will have to see what is available since the Prime is pretty new.
Old 07-02-2021, 10:14 PM   #64 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanked 1,177 Times in 807 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor95 View Post
The Prime is rated for 2500 lbs. I plan on buying a 3000 lb trailer.

Load helpers would add a lot of stability. I will have to see what is available since the Prime is pretty new.
Oh sorry, I misread your other post. You said the Prime weighs 4300 but I thought you said your trailer was 4300. I think 3000 will be fine, and probably wouldn't need any weight distribution either.
Old 07-03-2021, 05:28 PM   #65 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Overland - '24 Nissan Versa S 5MT
90 day: 40.29 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hayden55 View Post
We don't believe in safety margins. Have you seen what half of our members tow here?? :P
Safety margin? You mean REAL tow rating.
Old 07-04-2021, 02:42 PM   #66 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Atomic Ass View Post
Safety margin? You mean REAL tow rating.
Except for the trucks, which have a real tow rating as a valuable marketing asset even when their owners would only haul a handful of grocery bags once in a while, sometimes it's hard to justify the way most cars have their tow rating lowered in the United States and Canada compared to other markets, even though they're exactly the same despite different headlights and speedometer in miles for American standards.
Old 07-29-2021, 11:53 AM   #67 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
There is nothing more expensive than a cheap Porsche.

Does anyone want to guess what job requires towing a 3,000-pound trailer?

Does anyone know how high the intake is in a Suburban? Some woman out here needed to get rescued after she drove her Suburban into a wash and it stalled.
Old 07-29-2021, 03:48 PM   #68 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

Thanked 1,112 Times in 981 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
There is nothing more expensive than a cheap Porsche.

Does anyone want to guess what job requires towing a 3,000-pound trailer?

Does anyone know how high the intake is in a Suburban? Some woman out here needed to get rescued after she drove her Suburban into a wash and it stalled.
#1. A cheap old gasser Mercedes from the desert southwest.
#2. The list is expansive
#3. doesn't have to be high if it's moving enough to get in the engine compartment to drown the intake, short out wiring, whatever. F250's like mine can ingest enough spray behind a truck to cause issues.
Old 07-29-2021, 10:43 PM   #69 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotrsko View Post
F250's like mine can ingest enough spray behind a truck to cause issues.
That's a good excuse to sell snorkels
Old 07-29-2021, 11:06 PM   #70 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Jeep - '97 Jeep Cherokee Sport
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)

Blueberry - '07 Toyota Camry SE
The most expensive car I've ever owned was a 2001 subaru outback. The engine blew up a month after I bought it and then it got a head gasket issue a year later because of overheating.

Reply  Post New Thread