Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Instrumentation
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2010, 10:42 PM   #11 (permalink)
Wiki Writer

bugler - '91 Mazda 626
90 day: 35.89 mpg (US)
Thanks to all that replied,
captinkill sounds like the programs you have put forward are exactly what im looking for.

I am an elec / embedded software engineer so i have access to eeprom burners, and i might be able to work out the winols program, either way ill give both programs a try hopefully they have mappings for my car as it is a 91 year might be a bit too old.

If the programs suggested can do what im after and support my car I will get a ECU to play with (so i dont kill my car accidentally) and start programming in changes. If all works well i shall post methods and benefits to modifying the ECU information

For other people following the thread, I know there are plenty of aftermarket and DIY ECU options around however for my application they look like they are too expensive or time consuming. Hopefully a few number changes in my ECU eeprom will give me better efficiency with not too much effort

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-15-2010, 12:11 PM   #12 (permalink)
Wiki Writer

bugler - '91 Mazda 626
Hi captinkill,
Firstly thanks for your post regarding programs for ECU tunning. I tried to PM you but im still 2 post short of 10 posts until i can PM .

Well I looked both suggested programs up. as you suggested winOLS is very hard to use. I have not yet read in the eeprom file of my mazda 626 91 year so there is only so much i can do with winols at the moment anyway but from what i can see it looks like it may not have map for my car. In the select car section mazda's are not listed.

So i also tried to get the programmer from alientech called ECM titanium. they dont seem to allow a download of this, it seems it can only be purchased, is this correct?
I downloaded what looked like the program but it appears to be only a management tool.
Do you know of any way to get this tool free?

Basically i can get the existing eeprom contents the only issue i have is understanding what all of the numbers mean. So either i need a table that explains all of the memory locations or i need software (which i hopefully dont have to pay for) which will create me a new customized eeprom file according to my preferences which i can then burn onto the eeprom and try out.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Old 07-16-2010, 08:53 PM   #13 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

You can get it for free but doesn't have alot of drivers post dumps of chip and I'll c what I can do also I need to kno year modle any info on car there are guts on how to use winols but it's guess work beeing that u use the auto mapping feture
Old 07-16-2010, 08:56 PM   #14 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

And all the data on the chip verry from make to model etc there is some sort of computing encryption course u can take to figure it out I'll c what Luther info I can dig up to help
Old 07-16-2010, 09:40 PM   #15 (permalink)
Wiki Writer

bugler - '91 Mazda 626
Thanks
I may have a problem with my specific car though,
I opened up the ECU yesterday and found no eeprom at least i cant identify an eeprom on the board.
I attached a picture of the ECU PCB (it is only single sided)
for reference this is an ECU from a mazda 626 91 year
the ECU details on the box, Delco, F2H2

I searched for datasheets for all of the chips and the only memory chip i could find is on IC605 which is a ram chip so it cant hold the data after power down so this cant be it.
the IC601 appears to be the processor however i cant find any data on it, i assume its a custom IC.

So even if i can get the tuning program it may not be useful

captin if you have tuned cars previously can you identify any eeprom in this ECU, if not have any idea if there is a programming connection for the ECU. I figure i am not going to have much luck due to the age of the ECU and the limited information around.

For others following the thread hoping to tune your own ECU i also found a free tuner which looks fairly good, doesn't support all cars though
TunerPro and TunerPro RT - Professional Automobile Tuning Software
A website i found with tutorial on chip tunning
ECCS • View topic - A long tutorial for tuning nissan's ECUs

as captin said previously from what i have found it loks fairly easy to tune your own ECU as long as your ECU has an eeprom or a programming connection, Newer ECU's can probably update values over the ODB2 connection
And a eeprom burner or programming cable

For my car, if i cant find an eeprom on the board or identiy a programming connection looks like i will be forced to adjust inputs and outputs on the ECU to fool it into working the way i want.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ECUPCB.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	6372  
Old 07-16-2010, 10:24 PM   #16 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

i can say almost for sure its the chip ive shown u but im not 100% will find out have to look at schematics its allmost allways that type of chip tho
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ECUPCiB.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	120.3 KB
ID:	6394  
Old 07-16-2010, 10:54 PM   #17 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb View Post
My concern is that he has a narrowband o2 sensor and his ability to deviate from stoich with feedback is going to be hampered.
You could run lean most of the time and switch back to stoichiometric every once in a while to check the settings. But that would require a firmware redesign.

Allie Moore and I have a combined carbon footprint much smaller than that of one average American...
Old 07-10-2011, 10:01 PM   #18 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

SUV - '01 Dodge Durango 4x4
ECU reprogramming

Sounds like you need a program like Chem and Dcal to reprogram your ECU.
Old 10-22-2014, 04:27 AM   #19 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

WinOLS is easy to use

ECM titanium is easy to use while WinOLS is not that easy to use but works. You will find some tutorial clues on chiptuners.org
Old 10-22-2014, 10:19 AM   #20 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

UFI - '12 Fiat 500 Twinair
Team Turbocharged!
90 day: 40.3 mpg (US)

Jeep - '05 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
90 day: 18.09 mpg (US)

R32 - '89 Nissan Skyline

STiG - '16 Renault Trafic 140dCi Energy
90 day: 30.12 mpg (US)

Prius - '05 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 50.25 mpg (US)

Premodded - '49 Ford Freighter
90 day: 13.48 mpg (US)

F-117 - '10 Proton Arena GLSi
Pickups
Mitsubishi
90 day: 37.82 mpg (US)

Ralica - '85 Toyota Celica ST
90 day: 25.23 mpg (US)

Sx4 - '07 Suzuki Sx4
90 day: 32.21 mpg (US)

F-117 (2) - '03 Citroen Xsara VTS
90 day: 30.06 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpgx2 View Post
Hi DCB,

there are some laws about some things, but not many relating to emissions.

I haven't heard of emissions tests being done on vehicles. In the 80's
they used to check that you didn't disable the pollution controls on
carby motors.

Actually, we have pretty much the same freedom as in the States
to chop up cars and do what we like. No problem gutting the cat.
It's certainly more liberal than europe where you need an engineering
report just to install a new air filter.

Actually.. nobody really cares what we do, except for things like
flashing coloured lights. Pollution is fine - lights are illegal.
I hope you don't actually think this is true. It's illegal to modify any factory emissions equipment (read the code). Pod style air filters are completely illegal for example. While there's no routine smog testing in any state that I'm aware of, you can be EPA spot checked and sent to a testing station, $2000 fine if you're in breach, last I heard.

Reply  Post New Thread