Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Instrumentation
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2010, 10:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
Wiki Writer

bugler - '91 Mazda 626
90 day: 35.89 mpg (US)
ECU tables modification

Hi All,
I notice a lot of people on here with an electronics background and a lot of threads dedicated to fooling the ECU.
I wonder has anyone changed the ECU prom values to change the way the ECU operates under different conditions so that they dont have to fool the ECU. I have heard of many people changing their ECU values to increase performance so i know its possible and relatively common.

I am particularly interested if anyone can point me toward a eeprom value mapping for particularly a mazda 626 91 model or if anyone has "decoded" their cars eeprom to understand what the different values do.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-10-2010, 02:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
...remember the saying: "...not nice to mess with Mother Nature (or old-man OEM)."?

...the good thing about "tricking" the ECU is that you're usually only effecting one parameter at a time, but with an eeprom you're screwing with everything all at once.
Old 07-10-2010, 09:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
Wiki Writer

bugler - '91 Mazda 626
90 day: 35.89 mpg (US)
Thanks for the warning, it will definately be risky but i plan to get a ECU from a wrecker and start modifying that one so that i can always go back to my current ECU if i completely mess everything up.
Also if i can find an explanation of the values in the eeprom it should be much easier, I dont think ill attempt anything if i am just guessing what each value does
Old 07-10-2010, 10:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Cool ecu hacking.. vs ecu piggybacking - aka superuser overide

I'll have a go and hack anything if I think it's worth it :-)

The problem with ECU hacking is just the time it would take.

Any setting you want to make involves replacing an eprom - yuk
and so not practical.

It is probably easier to replace the ECU with an aftermarket
ECU that you can configure on the fly via a serial or usb port
from within the cabin.

The other option, is ECU piggybacking. Use an arduino to
read what the ECU is doing and then make decisions that
override whatever the ECU said.

Old 07-13-2010, 08:08 AM   #5 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

pimp mobile - '81 suzuki gs 250 t
90 day: 96.29 mpg (US)

schnitzel - '01 Volkswagen Golf TDI
90 day: 53.56 mpg (US)
Yah, the legal discussions are not usually productive, and for one car that might not be in a testing area (in Austrailia no less) it may be moot. Certainly we can discuss the technical details legally without getting into a legal quagmire.

My concern is that he has a narrowband o2 sensor and his ability to deviate from stoich with feedback is going to be hampered.
Old 07-13-2010, 11:27 AM   #6 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb View Post
Yah, the legal discussions are not usually productive, and for one car that might not be in a testing area (in Austrailia no less) it may be moot. Certainly we can discuss the technical details legally without getting into a legal quagmire.

My concern is that he has a narrowband o2 sensor and his ability to deviate from stoich with feedback is going to be hampered.
The truth is if the car passes emissions it is legal, if the area he is in has no requirements it is legal.

Also a better question is not if its legal but if its MORAL, is it moral to use more fuel and make more emissions or moral to use significantly less fuel and make less overall emissions but more of one type that only affects massive city's?

Most nations excluding the US allow lean burn as Nox is really only a smog problem in big city/massive urban centers, on its own it usually reacts into harmless compounds.

The question I have always had is how many ticks past stoich can a narrow band O2 see?

Also he may already run a tad leaner than the US counterpart anyway as I don't believe Aussies cared too much about Nox like most civilized countries.

Cheers
Ryan
Old 07-13-2010, 06:42 PM   #7 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

pimp mobile - '81 suzuki gs 250 t
90 day: 96.29 mpg (US)

schnitzel - '01 Volkswagen Golf TDI
90 day: 53.56 mpg (US)
Wink

Do they even HAVE laws in Australia?
Old 07-13-2010, 08:53 PM   #8 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Cool emission laws.. not really

Hi DCB,

there are some laws about some things, but not many relating to emissions.

I haven't heard of emissions tests being done on vehicles. In the 80's
they used to check that you didn't disable the pollution controls on
carby motors.

Actually, we have pretty much the same freedom as in the States
to chop up cars and do what we like. No problem gutting the cat.
It's certainly more liberal than europe where you need an engineering
report just to install a new air filter.

Actually.. nobody really cares what we do, except for things like
flashing coloured lights. Pollution is fine - lights are illegal.
Old 07-14-2010, 02:39 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Blue Meanie - '02 Volkswagon Golf TDI
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 48.52 mpg (US)

Wife's car - '05 WV Passat TDI

Rudy - '94 Chevy C2500
I am not sure if there are any communities that modify that ECU but if you know assembly and have the time it can be done. You would need to read the original program them map out where the Operating system starts and ends then run the lookups for each table and figure out the table width and scales.

For reburning the ECU you will probably need to replace the Eprom chip with one that can easily be reconfigured.

It can be done and it may have been done already I would recommend going to delcohacking.com it is a group in Australia that has done this to some of the Holden cars and they might be able to point you in the correct direction or live next door to you and can help.

"It's not rocket surgery!" -MetroMPG
Old 07-14-2010, 06:12 PM   #10 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

its a comon misscomception that its hard to tune an ecu its infact extrmely easy with the right tools the right now how u can do it inside 10 mins u need an eeprom programmer earser one can get here
arlabs google it cant post urls yet (pre obd2)

the only problem is getting the file to witch to tune with....u can try winols but its extremly hard to figure out u almost need to be a rocket sientist or a computer engenieer to figure it out u just stare at a bunch of numbers not knowing what they are.....lol have to goole it cant post urls

or if your lucky enough it will be here alientech-to look in up in goolge
this is the most comon program used by ppl today with popular cars they use drivers u just in put how much power etc

never buy tuneing files of e-bay biggest scam out there also never buy those "power boxs"

Powerboxes are the mother of all evil in this world. I am sure they were developed in a secret facility by satan himself and that is putting it mildly. With chiptuning your change ALL the needed parameters that run your engine. A powerbox just lies to your engine management system, throwing it off balance and feeding your engine the wrong amounts of fuel etc. Very often you will see powerboxes on ebay, which are basically two plastic plugs, a small box and a 5 cent resistor poured into black resin. If you want to get rich quick with an astronomical profit margin you should start selling powerboxes, because the company logo sticker on the outside is the most expensive part of it. Do they give you a noticeable effect? Yes, you will get some more performance, accompanied by a tail of black smoke and an engine that hates you forever. Still want to buy a powerbox? Read this paragraph again.

any questions about it pm me ive been doing ecus and other stuff for quite awile now

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to captinkill For This Useful Post:
Piwoslaw (07-11-2011), saand (07-14-2010), Weather Spotter (07-14-2010)
Reply  Post New Thread