Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2009, 10:13 PM   #31 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Deceptive - '98 Dodge Neon R/T
90 day: 44.38 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ View Post
Yep, many manual transmissions call for ATF. I think most Ford transmissions actually call for it, but you can use engine oil as well.
many chrysler mtx's call for atf, but, and this is a big but, it is used to save money. The synchros will wear faster with it, and it will not shift as easy as the correct mopar fluid ($16 a quart) or mobil one 10w30 high mileage. Its very important to use mobil one 10w30 high mileage if you choose to use engine oil, especially in a neon, as the synchros are made of a material called fiberide, and according to oil analysis, only those 2 oils (the mopar stuff and mobil one stuff) have enough zdp to prevent premature wear to the synchros. Mobil one is 99% the same as the mopar stuff.

ive used both royal purple and penzoil synchromesh oils, and neither shifted as smooth as the correct mopar fluid or the mobil one oil

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-07-2009, 10:17 PM   #32 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Cool. I'm not personally concerned about synchros, cuz I don't use the clutch anyway, but yeah.

Old 12-07-2009, 10:39 PM   #33 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Deceptive - '98 Dodge Neon R/T
90 day: 44.38 mpg (US)
ya, i dont use them much either, 90% of my driving is freeway, but just wanted to make sure i posted in case anyone switches to atf then has problems. Its not really a immediate thing, more like a if you plan on putting 300,000 miles on the transmission thing

regular 75-90 gear oil on the other hand can destroy neon synchros in 5000 miles tho, thanks valvoline oil changers
Old 06-30-2010, 02:20 AM   #34 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Send a message via AIM to bzipitidoo Send a message via Yahoo to bzipitidoo
Been using ATF in a 1967 4 speed manual Ford for years now. Originally had some heavy oil, might have been as much as 140W. It was getting very hard to shift into 2nd gear. Used to be fine, but then the shift to 2nd became stiff when the car was cold. Got worse, so that 2nd was hard to shift into when warmed up, and almost impossible when cold. Was taking serious force on the gear shift to get it in 2nd.

We switched to ATF, and 2nd gear has been fine ever since. Not sure how many miles we have put on it since switching, but at least 20k.

One thing about differential oil: has to be specially formulated for hypoid gears. Lot of pressure on those. ATF won't cut it.
Old 01-06-2011, 02:40 AM   #35 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

the green machine :P - '97 Jeep Grand Cherokee ZJ
90 day: 20.92 mpg (US)

Thee s10 - '00 Chevy S10
90 day: 24.27 mpg (US)

Freedom - '05 Kawasaki Ninja 250EX
90 day: 75.55 mpg (US)
Does any1 know what the viscosity of lucas oil additive is because it says if u put all lucas in ur differential it will iliminate wear and if it's about a 65w when ur supposed to use 90w i'd say it's definently worth it????
Old 06-11-2011, 12:43 AM   #36 (permalink)
live, breath, Isuzu-Ds

puddle jumper - '93 Suzuki sidekick base model

energizer bunny - '86 isuzu trooper base model

Clifford the big red dog - '84 GM S-10 durango
this incorrect oil problem ive dealt with in Isuzu's too.

many fast lube places for some strange reason
have it in there computer that they take 80W-90 gear oil in the trans, when its really needs to be 5W-30 engine oil

in one to five years the bearings are shot
1993 sidekick my MPG toy, epa rating 26.
i get 29/31 with stock drive train.
Old 06-11-2011, 04:04 AM   #37 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

The high viscosity ensures transfer of lubricant throughout the gear train. This is necessary since the devices needing this heavy oil do not have pumps for transferring the oil with only a portion of the lowermost gears bathed in an oil sump.
Old 05-13-2013, 11:04 PM   #38 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Matchbox - '93 Ford Festiva L
Team Ford
Last 3: 70.16 mpg (US)

Salamander - '99 Chrysler Concorde LXI
Team Dodge
90 day: 30.3 mpg (US)

Urquhart - '97 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 V6 3.4L DLX
Pickups
90 day: 25.81 mpg (US)

Smudge - '98 Toyota Tacoma
90 day: 40.65 mpg (US)

Calebro - '15 Renault Trafic 1.25 dci
90 day: 39.39 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
The other thing to consider: GM syncromesh is "semi-synthetic" , if I recall. So its viscosity isn't as stable as temperatures change as a full synth. (Meaning greater efficiency hit for those who experience truly cold temperatures part of the year.)

I've got GM Synchromesh (full retail pop! ) in my car now, but am planning to go to a full synth of the same or lighter weight, soon.

Just trying to decide which, and then seeing if my choice is even available in my small city.
Any final conclusions on which gear oil to best maximize fe without risking damage?
Old 05-14-2013, 11:42 AM   #39 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,960 Times in 3,604 Posts
Nope. I ended up just staying with the GM Synchromesh oil.
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Old 05-14-2013, 01:46 PM   #40 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Land Shark - '11 Toyota Yaris 3dr Hatchback
Team Toyota
90 day: 36.68 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stovie View Post
Does any1 know what the viscosity of lucas oil additive is because it says if u put all lucas in ur differential it will iliminate wear and if it's about a 65w when ur supposed to use 90w i'd say it's definently worth it????
The original Lucas Oil Stabilizer is quite thick, well over 90 SAE weight, Lucas Synthetic Oil Stabilizer is thinner than the original but still thicker than 90 weight. I know because I've put both in manual transmissions that required 75w90 oil. But they're not really an oil, they're a slick sticky substance, I believe they coat the moving parts when added to oil. I put original into my Corolla, which required 5w30 engine and 75w90 gear, mixed with synthetic oil and I swear it made the car slower to start when cold in the winter (nothing serious, just a few more turns, still started reliably), but Lucas advises against using original in lighter oil. So with my Yaris I used the lighter synthetic, but used less than the 20% called for on the label, I think around 10% in the engine and 10-15% in the transmission and haven't noticed any problems, even in cold weather.

Racers and off-roaders seem to like Lucas Oil Stabilizer, but then again, they push engines and drivetrains to the max, unlike us daily drivers.

Also the fact the engine and gear oil use different weight scales makes sense. 75w90 gear oil seemed way thinner than what a 75w90 engine oil would be, but it's really the same weight as 10w40-50 engine oil. And about using thinner fluid than called for in a transmission seems like a bad idea, unless there's evidence to back up its use, like the Suzukis and Synchromesh. So, I'd say, unless there's a problem with your transmission and you think it might be too thick fluid, stick with the recommended weight. A new transmission, or a rebuild, costs a lot more than the few more miles you can squeeze out of a tank with lighter fluid. Damage or wear may not be apparent right away, it might take years and thousands of miles for problems to show up.

Last edited by Sean.Heihn; 05-14-2013 at 01:56 PM..
Reply  Post New Thread