Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2012, 10:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

WIKISPEED build for Electric Motor Module

The WIKISPEED car is a modular design.

The present 'motor module' is an Internal Combustion Engine, a 1.8l Honda civic engine from 2006+. That is not on topic for the Ecomodder Fossil Fuel Free group, so ...

This is not a build of the WIKISPEED car, at least not yet. This is a build of the Electric Motor Module for the WIKISPEED car (this replaces the ICE motor module with an electric drivetrain).

This first posting will be updated regularly to contain the latest status of the build. Eventually, this message will have a bit of an index of posts.

Post 3 - Links
Post 15 - We have a plan.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WIKISPEED.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	11436   Click image for larger version

Name:	WIKISPEEDlogo.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	22.0 KB
ID:	11437  

Last edited by TeamWIKISPEED; 09-10-2012 at 12:24 AM.. Reason: Add Logo, clarify Electric Motor Module, change title
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-02-2012, 04:04 AM   #2 (permalink)
Corporate imperialist

Sub - '84 Chevy Diesel Suburban C10
SUV
90 day: 19.5 mpg (US)

camaro - '85 Chevy Camaro Z28

Riot - '03 Kia Rio POS
Team Hyundai
90 day: 30.21 mpg (US)

Bug - '01 VW Beetle GLSturbo
90 day: 26.43 mpg (US)

Sub2500 - '86 GMC Suburban C2500
90 day: 11.95 mpg (US)

Snow flake - '11 Nissan Leaf SL
SUV
90 day: 141.63 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,522 Times in 2,796 Posts
Are you going to use a kit car for the body and running gear?
Why the need for the massive 1.8L gas hog?
What kind of battery did you want to use and what kind of motor did you want to run?
Old 09-02-2012, 03:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Car and Body for WIKISPEED build

Quote:
Originally Posted by oil pan 4 View Post
Are you going to use a kit car for the body and running gear?
My apologies. I tried adding links to the first post and it failed because I only have 1 post. (This has been fixed - the links below are live now)

The rest of the car is done, sort of. There is a car design available, but there are many people in small teams all over the world working to improve the design. The design is modular, so different teams each take a portion of the design. As the new designs are tested and revised, they can be incorporated into the standard package.

Right now, you can purchase:
- a prototype, called SGT01, assembled and ready to drive with an ICE engine module

Read more about it here

www.wikispeed.com/store

There is a kit planned as well, where you purchase everything and assemble it yourself. Right now, it's more of a list where you purchase all of the pieces and they are shipped to you.

The drawings for the custom parts are almost all available as Open Source from here. I say almost since there are delays in posting drawings after the changes have been added to the standard build.

www.opensourceecology.org/wiki/wikispeed_SGT01

The rest of the parts are OEM Honda Civic parts and can be purchased from a number of places, but the prices at the WIKISPEED store are lower than most.

Quote:
I'm not too sure how to answer that one. That design decision was made a long time before I joined the project.

The car was initially designed to compete for the 2010 automotive X-prize. Besides the requirement of getting 100 mpg or better, it was a race. The fastest circuit time while meeting the 100 mpg criteria was the winner. I don't have all the history on the project - this is my guess based on the history that I do have.

The Electric Motor Module that is the topic of this thread will initially be low power. The exact motor to be used is not decided as yet. The simulation team has asked for a power plant capable of delivering 50 HP so that the car can accelerate from ... I think it's 40 mph to 60 mph in 5 seconds? ... I can't locate the reference right now. It was one of the requirements for the X-prize to have a vehicle that people would want to drive.

Quote:
What kind of battery did you want to use and what kind of motor did you want to run?
I would like to run an AC three phase motor on Lithium Ion cells. All other things being equal, an AC-50 with controller running on CALB-40's would be great. I think that the extra parts required for water cooling would make this solution too large.

The car presently weighs 1404 lbs, with the ICE module installed, all of the fluids for the ICE, and 4 gallons of gas in it. Since it is SO LIGHT I think it is an excellent start for an Electric Vehicle. I expect that the weight will rise a bit with the Electric Motor Module instead of the ICE module.

Like every build, we have a tight budget, so this module design will begin with whatever can be sourced locally and almost free. As the design is firmed up and decisions are made, we'll see what we end up with.

There is much work to be done to determine how many cells, and of which chemistry, can be fit into the Electric Motor Module. 40 x 40 x 20 is not a lot of space to hold the motor, transmission, batteries, controller and battery charger.

Last edited by TeamWIKISPEED; 09-10-2012 at 12:27 AM.. Reason: Add links
Old 09-02-2012, 08:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Hello the Wikispeed car really interests me and how its opened sourced.

I have a large homemade CNC machine which I would like to design my own body for this car, but the price for a complete car is too much for me so I hope I could partner up with a local mechanic in the future to make our own.
Ive seen the newly created Wikispeed Canada facebook btw.

I read the chassis can be bought for $1000 at the Seattle home base, will you guys ever make a guide on how you got the cars you have for sale road legal?

Also do you think the electric drive train could be (low spec, heavy setup) cheaper then the sourced out Civic one?

Ideally I would like to purchase the Chassis and make it into a road legal hardtop convertible by using a $1000 donor for parts... proper a-pillars, windshield, suspension etc.

P.S. I mixed a couple super cars designs on top of the Wiki Chassis which can be seen on YouTube called - WikiSpeed Chassis overlay

Last edited by Arashi; 09-02-2012 at 08:15 PM..
Old 09-02-2012, 10:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Ford Prefect - '18 Ford F150 XLT XTR

Tess - '22 Tesla Y LR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arashi View Post
...I have a large homemade CNC machine which I would like to design my own body for this car, but the price for a complete car is too much for me so I hope I could partner up with a local mechanic in the future to make our own...
A build with a local mechanic sounds practical. There are Team WIKISPEED members in BC that you may be able to connect with, if you would like to. Send an email to info@wikispeed.com if you'd like to join the team!

Your CNC machine would come in handy for all sorts of things, I'm sure. The car body is structural carbon fiber. This is not my area, but I think that it takes some practice to get it right.

Quote:
I read the chassis can be bought for $1000 at the Seattle home base, will you guys ever make a guide on how you got the cars you have for sale road legal?
I was told that a WIKISPEED car has been sold to someone in Canada. I don't have details or timing. Whatever paperwork, or crash testing, or changes are required in order to license it in Canada and drive it on public roads will be done. I'm just not sure when. I'll cross-post your questions to Team WIKISPEED and see if someone can answer them better than I can.

Quote:
Also do you think the electric drive train could be (low spec, heavy setup) cheaper then the sourced out Civic one?
I am involved in the Electric Motor Module build. It is far too early to tell for sure, but my feeling is that the purchase-from-WIKISPEED electric version of the motor module will be more expensive than the Civic gas engine motor module. That does not mean that you cannot build an Electric Motor Module for less. Costs could be reduced by sourcing the motor, the controller, the charger or the batteries for less, recycling used parts, etc.

Quote:
Ideally I would like to purchase the Chassis and make it into a road legal hardtop convertible by using a $1000 donor for parts... proper a-pillars, windshield, suspension etc.
I'm not sure I'm qualified to comment on this one. A hardtop version of the car is in development. I haven't heard of any teams working on a hardtop convertible - but I would not know.

The car has a 5 star crash rating. I think the A pillars and windshield are fine for road legal. There are a number of prototypes on the road in the USA, licensed and insured. There are a few different rules in Canada, so it takes time to meet the requirements.

The suspension is actually quite impressive on the WIKISPEED car.

I think that the windshield is a stock item from a Miata - but I don't know which model or which year.
Old 09-03-2012, 06:41 PM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by thingstodo View Post
A build with a local mechanic sounds practical. There are Team WIKISPEED members in BC that you may be able to connect with, if you would like to. Send an email to infoawikispeed.com if you'd like to join the team!

Your CNC machine would come in handy for all sorts of things, I'm sure. The car body is structural carbon fiber. This is not my area, but I think that it takes some practice to get it right.

My first kit car will be a re-body of a Nissan sports car (300zx) then I would like to explore the Wikispeed chassis mainly because it gives the freedom of many exterior design applications.
So hopefully in the future I'll join the team to brainstorm on what can be accomplished and for how much.

I was told that a WIKISPEED car has been sold to someone in Canada. I don't have details or timing. Whatever paperwork, or crash testing, or changes are required in order to license it in Canada and drive it on public roads will be done. I'm just not sure when. I'll cross-post your questions to Team WIKISPEED and see if someone can answer them better than I can.

I'd be interested to know if you come across any info.

I am involved in the Electric Motor Module build. It is far too early to tell for sure, but my feeling is that the purchase-from-WIKISPEED electric version of the motor module will be more expensive than the Civic gas engine motor module. That does not mean that you cannot build an Electric Motor Module for less. Costs could be reduced by sourcing the motor, the controller, the charger or the batteries for less, recycling used parts, etc.

I see

I'm not sure I'm qualified to comment on this one. A hardtop version of the car is in development. I haven't heard of any teams working on a hardtop convertible - but I would not know.

The car has a 5 star crash rating. I think the A pillars and windshield are fine for road legal. There are a number of prototypes on the road in the USA, licensed and insured. There are a few different rules in Canada, so it takes time to meet the requirements.

The suspension is actually quite impressive on the WIKISPEED car.

I think that the windshield is a stock item from a Miata - but I don't know which model or which year.

I just hope it could turn out cheap because for someone like myself whose goal is to have great "looks" above everything else, a dirt cheap clunker with a new roof line might get me there many thousands less which could be the equivalent of some years saved gas.
picture --> i.imgur.com/1c97j.jpg
Thanks for you help.
Old 09-03-2012, 11:10 PM   #7 (permalink)
Corporate imperialist

SUV

Riot - '03 Kia Rio POS
Team Hyundai

SUV
"That design decision was made a long time before I joined the project".

There is the problem there weren't really any new sub 1.8L engines in N. America till here with in the last 2 years. You would have to go with a late 1990s engine if you wanted sub 1.8L.

3 phase AC systems are not cheap, unless there is a cheap off the shelf unit I havent seen.
Going AC costs something like 3 to 10 time as much as DC.
Old 09-03-2012, 11:49 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
It might be because the engine is readily available and smaller than most other current engines. Also, the K-series engine's ECU (beginning in 2006 I think) is easily modded, apparently. Hondata focuses a lot of energy on the k-series ECU now.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 09-04-2012, 07:52 AM   #9 (permalink)
Corporate imperialist

SUV

Riot - '03 Kia Rio POS
Team Hyundai

SUV
And I didn't realize they wanted it to be fast too.
A 1.8 in a car that size will really move.
Old 09-05-2012, 10:14 PM   #10 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Electric Motor Module info

Quote:
Update this week - the target price for the Electric Motor Module is under $5000 US.

Reply  Post New Thread