Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2018, 02:19 PM   #21 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 61.67 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,380 Times in 944 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
I'm under the impression you'd get more power increase from an e-supercharger but in terms of total efficiency, it would be less than a straight e-assist.
I bet you are right. And an eAssist would be easier, if we go back to thinking just about practical EM bolt-on ideas. I have two vacant spots on my crank pulley from the delete of AC and PS. I could leave the stock alternator in place and add a small electric motor. The belts are prolly smaller than ideal but hopefully still useful with a properly small motor. That motor could maybe propel me around parking lots or extend glides. But that's not really the topic of this daydream concept general efficiency discussion.

See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-13-2018, 02:21 PM   #22 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Gaptooth - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights
90 day: 70.92 mpg (US)

Such Fit - '07 Honda Fit Sport
90 day: 41.27 mpg (US)

Velomobile - '13 Sun Seeker EZ-TAD SX
Last 3: 2142.86 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,023 Times in 646 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
I bet you are right. And an eAssist would be easier, if we go back to thinking just about practical EM bolt-on ideas. I have two vacant spots on my crank pulley from the delete of AC and PS. I could leave the stock alternator in place and add a small electric motor. The belts are prolly smaller than ideal but hopefully still useful with a properly small motor. That motor could maybe propel me around parking lots or extend glides. But that's not really the topic of this daydream concept general efficiency discussion.
As a bolt-on solution for e-assist, you might choose to change the cam timing so it functions in the Atkinson cycle. A net gain in thermodynamic efficiency, increased engine load, and you still maintain adequate power down low. I could see a huge gain here for relatively little cost.

Last edited by Ecky; 03-13-2018 at 02:40 PM..
Old 03-21-2018, 04:38 PM   #23 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

"Proper Shitbox" (SOLD) - '96 Honda Civic LX fully optioned no weight reduction
90 day: 41.9 mpg (US)

Plue Brius - '10 Toyota Prius II
90 day: 49.3 mpg (US)
Audi should be coming out with theirs this year. And ford will here in a bit as well. Basically the entire goal of echargers is to spool up faster to mimick a larger engine and allow a smaller engine to save on fuel (similar to how a hybrid uses its electric motors to allow a smaller engine).
2010 Prius. 36W low beams. 185 LRR tires. Aero wheel covers. CR 70 windshield. CR 40 side window. Passenger mirror & wiper delete. Antenna stick removed. Rear wiper & Squirter delete. 50lb weight reduction. 2" hitch.
Old 08-05-2018, 03:11 AM   #24 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

https://youtu.be/G8XT00GpKuE

This guy is doing experiments.
The Following User Says Thank You to teoman For This Useful Post:
California98Civic (08-05-2018)
Old 08-05-2018, 09:58 AM   #25 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 61.67 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,380 Times in 944 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by teoman View Post
https://youtu.be/G8XT00GpKuE

This guy is doing experiments.
There is the highly impractical again. He never really gets all that much boost for at the power he is consuming.

See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 08-05-2018, 11:42 AM   #26 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Too big a compressor wheel.

The Thomas Knight kit made 10 psi.
Old 08-05-2018, 12:08 PM   #27 (permalink)
In Lean Burn Mode

MisFit Talon - '91 Eagle Talon TSi
Team Turbocharged!
90 day: 41.03 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
To be fair, there are still energy losses associated. Intercoolers exist for that reason. They add exhaust restriction and there's also added friction, but I imagine it to be a net gain.
The losses associated with todays turbos is very little at lower boost. On my last setup the turbo improved the engine efficiency of my engine a ton, but to improve FE I had to run it in lean burn do to air mass increasing.

I still think you can use a turbo compound system on a downside engine like I did on my 2.0L. and be more efficient then an electric assist setup?

Reply  Post New Thread