Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Motorcycles / Scooters
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2014, 06:54 PM   #421 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Yeah, the v8 will be standard, the 3 cylinder economy motor will be another 4 grand. I heard the diff between a v8 and hemi for a 300 was $15 cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Charlie View Post
Two words: Trim Levels.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-30-2014, 07:07 PM   #422 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Shuttlepod One - '14 Toyota Prius v Model Three
Team Toyota
90 day: 38.12 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilBlanchard View Post
The Elio has two seats, in tandem.
I'm 185 cm tall, and mostly legs at that. Functionally, one seat.
Old 04-30-2014, 07:49 PM   #423 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mica Blue - '05 Scion xA RS 2.0
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.48 mpg (US)

Forest - '15 Nissan Leaf S
Team Nissan
90 day: 156.46 mpg (US)

Number 7 - '15 VW e-Golf SEL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 155.81 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,950 Times in 1,844 Posts
I'm 193cm tall - but I don't have to fit in both seats. The front seat of the Elio is quite spacious - I think a 203cm/6'-8" person would be fine, and the back seat is smaller. The fact remains, it is a 2 seat car.

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/
Old 04-30-2014, 09:10 PM   #424 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Team Toyota
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilBlanchard View Post
I'm 193cm tall - but I don't have to fit in both seats. The front seat of the Elio is quite spacious - I think a 203cm/6'-8" person would be fine, and the back seat is smaller. The fact remains, it is a 2 seat car.
Okay Neil,

You're correct, there are indeed two surfaces that will accept the posterior of many a humanoid form. Both of us, should the need arise, could potentially even cram our asses into the rear seat of the Elio. But, I hasten to add, the trip would be far from the comfort we might expect and find in most any other road worthy member of the generalized fleet of cars currently registered on any public roadway.

All seating concerns aside, my point still stands. While I'd love to see 100 million Elio-like vehicles on the road tomorrow I find it extremely unlikely given the current cultural climate in the US. I daily experience the ire of total strangers who have pegged me as some sort of anti-'Merican activist because I drive an efficient Japanese hybrid. Fortunately for me, being a card carrying member of the geek squad and in full possession of a life time of therapy for OCD, I now have very thick skin. I do what I do because it is the closest to the right thing as I can get. But I'm under no delusions, like it or not, this sub-population is necessarily small and select.

I don't see Elio doing anything differently. They are following the pattern set before them by the likes of, E & X Tracer, Twike/s-LEV, and Aptera. If they produce 15,000 units I'll be cheering them on, but that is just a very small drop in a very large bucket.
Old 04-30-2014, 09:33 PM   #425 (permalink)
Drive less save more

Dusty - '98 VOLKSWAGEN Beetle TDI
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 60.42 mpg (US)
No product can please everybody so the Elio is bound to displease some.
And make others scratch there head but that will not determine its success, the people who LIKE the Elio will determine its success or not.

The Stage is set perfectly for the Car to be released, thanks to Gas prices.

Old 04-30-2014, 11:32 PM   #426 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

To Be Determined (Too-be) - '15 Chevrolet Malibu LS Eco
90 day: 35.41 mpg (US)
It peaked my interest a bit, I must admit. It's a neat idea for a commuter vehicle, and certainly safer than a motorbike (I remain skeptical about it getting a 5-star rating however).

It's a tough sell though. Call it a two seater if you'd like, but I'd hate to stick someone (especially the gf) in the back seat. Not only for space and the awkwardness of getting back there (I say this based only on photos), but conversation would be far better in a typical side-by-side configuration. Staring at the back of the headrest would get old as well I'm sure. I'd see the Elio more as a 2nd car than a primary car.
The Following User Says Thank You to The Other Andy For This Useful Post:
Saguache (04-30-2014)
Old 05-01-2014, 01:00 AM   #427 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Team Toyota
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecomodded View Post
No product can please everybody so the Elio is bound to displease some. And make others scratch there head but that will not determine its success, the people who LIKE the Elio will determine its success or not.
Hum, I'm going to have to disagree with you a bit here. I like, nay love, the VW Microbus in all its many incarnations. As a lover of this vehicle I am also a member of a very large, global, and reasonably well funded cadre of people who enjoy driving underpowered bread boxes and loves of bread. Yet, somehow, Volkswagen sees content to leave this design buried in the dusts. "Why?" we enthusiasts cry with great wads of cash held out, "Why won't you retool some disused portion of a manufacturing plant in Bezirk Wolfsberg and make for us that which we desire?"

"Units," replies the ghost of Ferdinand Porsche.

In a bid to drum up more investment capital Paul Elio has released his company's financials. And, while I believe that motor journalists such as Jo Borrás could have perhaps toned down their vitriol for the vehicle (the design has its flaws, but it's certainly not a virginity shield) they have a point, the business plan that predicates production makes absolutely no business sense what so ever.

Paul Elio Releases Elio Motors' Financials: the Numbers Don't Add Up

But hey, perhaps Elio can conjure something from nothing? It wouldn't be the first time it has happened, that's for sure. But if they're relying on their current marketing strategy to carry the design and perhaps support ridiculous business plan than I'd wager against success. And like, love and absolute religious devotion aren't going to play a part in resolving this mess.

Quote:
The Stage is set perfectly for the Car to be released, thanks to Gas prices.
Not really sure I agree with you here either, here is why. In 2007 my wife and I bought a house on the east side of the Cascades in Washington state. At the time, we both held jobs on the west side of the mountains, but given the price of fuel at the time we were able to budget for a combined commute/tele-commute relay that included two to three hundred miles a week. Then came 2008 and on the heals of the housing bubble collapse huge fuel price inflation. In the space of little more than a month our monthly expenditure for the commute increased some 75% (despite driving a very efficient SAAB 9.5).

We turned our little SAAB around and bought a Prius. We ended up waiting nearly six months for the Generation II vehicle to be built and shipped. Hundreds of thousands of others must have found themselves in a similar situation. We moved to the east side for the sunshine but also for the cost of housing, which was much more reasonable. But after the dual action of devaluation of property (our house was now worth significantly less than we had just paid for it) and the increase of operating expenses we needed the economy of a few more miles per gallon to afford the basics.

But here is the funny part of all that. In the moment it caused my family much pain, anxiety and frustration. We jumped through our own asses time and again hoping that the price of fuel would just drop a little. Eventually it did. Briefly in the fall of 2008. But here is the thing a lot of people don't realize, by 2010, only a year after the supposed fuel bubble popped, fuel prices were already nearing their 2008 maximums for the same period. By 2011 the average price per gallon was equal to or above the 2008 peaks. And since that year fuel has been pegged to that 2008 peak with only minor seasonal variation.

Historical Gas Price Charts - GasBuddy.com

All told the pain that caused people to run to Toyota and Honda dealerships for a new hybrid during the first price spikes of 2008 never left the market. So we should wonder then why are those automakers, or manufactures of hybrids in general, are not today selling nearly as many units as they were in 2008? If consumers hadn't become inculcated to the price of fuel than I believe we should expect to see an aftermarket for the Prius which boasted gun racks for the rear window and ample space for cowboy hats. Yet, as I drive across this two cow, hick town, the only vehicles I spy sporting cast iron bull balls consume their petroleum daily by the drum.

Sure, those in bread, ill-educated morons might not "like" the price per gallon, but they're still paying it. Believe me when I say, they don't know how to ease off the hammer to save a few pennies at each stop light let alone do they care about the Cd of that lifted Ford built in the 20th century.

It's not that I think you've overestimated the effect the price of fuel has on people's behavior, although there may be some element of that involved. Rather, I think you have underestimated the grip culture and habit play in the majority of American lives.
Old 05-01-2014, 03:21 AM   #428 (permalink)
Drive less save more

TEAM VW AUDI Group
Like I said the person that dislikes the car will not decide its fate the People who welcome a change from being part of the heard of zombies will.
I bet the car is a blast to drive

Old 05-01-2014, 11:46 AM   #429 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Team Toyota
Quote:
Like I said the person that dislikes the car will not decide its fate the People who welcome a change from being part of the heard of zombies will.
I bet the car is a blast to drive
You're going to troll me? I am somehow part of the heard of zombies? Whatever.
Old 05-01-2014, 02:12 PM   #430 (permalink)
Drive less save more

TEAM VW AUDI Group
I was Figuratively speaking to make a point
I do not believe there are Zombies but there is a large percent that follow the herd.

Some people are more independent and have greater freedoms then others - the Perfect buyer of this car.

The Following User Says Thank You to ecomodded For This Useful Post:
Fat Charlie (05-01-2014)
Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
lies, scam