Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2014, 10:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
Hydrogen > EV

Silver Flea - '05 Honda Insight
90 day: 58.96 mpg (US)
Best used standard FR for under 5k?

Hello all.

I am working on selling an Insight (one of two), and thought about something. Both of my Insights are just too beautiful to destroy. As in, full permanent boat tail, mirrors shaved, front wheel skirts.

So I will be putting both up for sale, and if I get what I am looking for I will be buying something else. I have high standards, but a lot of options.

Specifically, I want...
Rear wheel drive.
Engine placement can be anywhere.
Standard transmission, automatics are UNACCEPTABLE.
I would prefer a luxury vehicle.

Now the rear wheel drive CAN be compromised under a couple of rare circumstances. For example, I found a MX3. For 1k. That is challenging to pass up. Under rare circumstances, I could see it. I will be most likely removing the trunk, most of the dash, the mirrors, the rear seats, most of the interior.

Currently, I am thinking a 3/5 series is my best bet for finding, or a Mercedes C300, but the CTS is a close third. I want an IS the most, but since less than 1% are standard, and finding one in running condition will be near impossible, I don't see this happening- same as a Lincoln LS. A Ranger will be a bad place to start, as would an S10, but not out of the question. Some older Camaros show up, too. I don't want another Mustang, I dislike the pre 2011s.

Any and all feedback is welcome. I have a reliable car- and I have enjoyed high MPG cars. Now I want a fun and tad classy car I can turn into a mile eater. Higher miles don't bother me, neither do the repairs that come with it, for the right price. I know you all will have great words of wisdom, and with suggestions will come feedback on common issues to look for. Thank you in advance!

Best Tanks:
Mustang - 54.83 mpg (US) at the Green Grand Prix
Insight - 82.91966 mpg (US) over 818.5 miles.
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-11-2014, 08:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
Hydrogen > EV

Silver Flea - '05 Honda Insight
90 day: 58.96 mpg (US)
Really guys? I figured I would get SOME feedback.

Best Tanks:
Mustang - 54.83 mpg (US) at the Green Grand Prix
Insight - 82.91966 mpg (US) over 818.5 miles.
Old 08-11-2014, 08:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
Furry Furfag

Winsight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Miaderp - '95 Mazda Miata
90 day: 28.53 mpg (US)
Well my wisdom sucks, but maybe an older Crown Vic? My buddy has a 92 that is luxurious and has sooooo much space, but it is an auto,maybe you should look into getting one of those. I have heard of guys taking the 6-speed trannies that go in that gen of Mustang Foxbody's and putting them in there, but I'm not sure.

Old 08-11-2014, 09:17 PM   #4 (permalink)
diesel doer

Luxury vehicle + fun + tad classy + mile eater = Mercedes Benz diesel or Jaguar SS100.
Glad to oblige.
Bob
Old 08-11-2014, 09:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,447 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltothewolf View Post
Well my wisdom sucks, but maybe an older Crown Vic? My buddy has a 92 that is luxurious and has sooooo much space, but it is an auto,maybe you should look into getting one of those. I have heard of guys taking the 6-speed trannies that go in that gen of Mustang Foxbody's and putting them in there, but I'm not sure.
I have once seen a video where a Police Interceptor Crown Vic with a manual transmission was featured. Anyway, if it's about luxury, I guess a Lincoln Town Car would be a good option to consider in case of a manual transmission swap. But I'd probably rather get one out of a truck instead of one geared for a Mustang, and the taller differential from the Crown Vic or the Town Car would match reasonably with the manual out of a truck...
Old 08-11-2014, 10:26 PM   #6 (permalink)
herp derp Apprentice

Saturn-sold - '99 saturn sc1
Team Saturn
90 day: 28.28 mpg (US)

Yukon - '03 GMC Yukon Denali
90 day: 13.74 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltArc View Post
Really guys? I figured I would get SOME feedback.
As a Gm tech I have considered, what manual RWD would I like? You already mentioned a cts though, which would be my choice as well. Unfortunately I would want to get one new enough to have a 3.6 and in condition I would want, I'm thinking they're more like $7k minimum
Old 08-11-2014, 11:39 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Volt, gas only - '12 Chevrolet Volt Premium
90 day: 38.02 mpg (US)

Volt, electric only - '12 Chevrolet Volt Premium
90 day: 132.26 mpg (US)

Yukon Denali Hybrid - '12 GMC Yukon Denali Hybrid
90 day: 21.48 mpg (US)
I just bought an '08 cts for triple your wish list price. Manual versions are almost impossible to find, fyi. But the dual vvt 3.6 v6 is awesome! Peak torque @ 3100rpm for this application, tons of fun to drive.

As stated, ive seen crown vic conversions as well as older impala/ buick roadmaster manual conversions.

If you are interested in conversions, I am a bit partial because of my last car, but the dodge intrepid/300m/concorde/lhs would be a good candidate. Can be bought for around $2000 for a good one. Add a 6speed manual, drive shaft, and rear end, you could easily do it for 5k.

http://ecomodder.com/forum/em-fuel-l...vehicleid=6320

Last edited by ksa8907; 08-11-2014 at 11:50 PM..
Old 08-12-2014, 08:19 AM   #8 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mazda5 - '12 Mazda 5
90 day: 25.22 mpg (US)

Big D - '11 Dodge Durango Crew
90 day: 18.75 mpg (US)
For $5K, you can get an SRT-4, from stock to lots of mods, possibly even a bigger turbo.

But, Neon doesn't equal luxury. And it is not rear wheel drive.

But, they are fun as hell to drive. There are a lot of performance parts, tuning solutions and the motors and transmissions can handle 400 hp stock. I got 26/33 mpg in mine when really trying. Parts are cheap enough. Just a thought.

For a rear wheel drive luxury with a manual, a BMW seems to come to mind. But, I have known several people with older BMW's that seem to have broken trim pieces, broken windows, faded and oxidized paint, and other little odds and ends that don't work right. The engines and transmissions are usually solid though. Don't get me wrong, I like BMWs, but the parts can be expensive. My one friend had a rear window regulator fixed at the dealer (yes, I know, the stealership) for $700.
Old 08-12-2014, 12:40 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
Quote:
Any and all feedback is welcome.
Be careful what you wish for.

Isn't this off-topic for The Lounge?
Old 08-12-2014, 01:30 PM   #10 (permalink)

C4 Corvette?

Good power, 6 spd (in the later C4s), Vettes have always been flagship cars for Chevrolet so they tend to have lots of nice options. Finding one for $5k is decent shape isn't too hard now.

I was able to wring 29mpg hwy out of mine with just normal, careful driving (No hypermiling).

My experience with used luxury cars is that they tend to have a lot of things go wrong with them. Usually not important things (drivetrain/suspension/etc) but power windows, butt warmers, auto-trunk-latches, etc. I personally prefer my cars to be a bit more simple because of this.

2001 Civic HX Mods

CTS-V

2003 Silverado Mods
Reply  Post New Thread