Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2009, 01:37 PM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

2k2Prot5 - '02 Mazda Protege5
90 day: 33.82 mpg (US)
Unless you're revving up to 6k to drop it into first gear, your engine braking shouldn't be abrupt enough to matter. Let them get squirely behind you - it is their own damn fault. If you live in a particularly retarded area, then yeah, a push-button would be nice. (I'm just thinking that would be great on my race car... push it 1/2 second before i hit the brakes so the guy behind me brakes too soon )

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-22-2009, 02:55 PM   #12 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
My other reason for not liking this push button idea... you only have 100% attention to pay... and if you're giving 15% of your attention to the rear view mirror, 30% of your attention to keeping the car in a straight line, 25% of your attention to keeping your car in the proper RPM range, downshifting, etc... 25% of your attention to traffic around you, and 5% of your attention to making sure you are going to be slowed down and stopped in time, while giving yourself enough reaction time to maneuver if necessary, then you try to spend another 10% of your attention to make sure you hit that button every time you notice that someone is behind you while you're slowing down, so that they can more easily tell that you're slowing down, and don't hit you, well, you're now using 105% of your attention, and you're not the US government.. you don't work on credit.

Maybe just a bumper sticker?

Old 06-22-2009, 03:03 PM   #13 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

2k2Prot5 - '02 Mazda Protege5
90 day: 33.82 mpg (US)
Here's an idea...

A 1-axis accelerometer with analog output tied to a comparitor with potentiometer adjustment connected to a relay in parallel with the brake light circuit.

In normal human-speak, a circuit that turns on your brake lights at a particular level of deceleration, regardless of that deceleration being caused by your brakes or your engine or a wall.

I have also considered that this circuit could be connected in such a way to rapidly blink your brake lights in the event of a hard deceleration. I think a few new cars are doing this with their centre brake light (maybe all of the brake lights, but definately the centre one)
Old 06-22-2009, 03:22 PM   #14 (permalink)
Civic 4 Life

Civics Lesson - '08 Honda Civic LX
Team Honda
90 day: 40.53 mpg (US)
I remember back in driver's ed when we talked about manual transmissions, downshifting to slow down came up. The teacher and book suggested tapping the brakes for 1-3 seconds at the beginning of your slowdown to alert a driver behind you of the change, but then just go without the brakes.
Old 06-23-2009, 03:35 AM   #15 (permalink)
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MazdaMatt View Post
I have also considered that this circuit could be connected in such a way to rapidly blink your brake lights in the event of a hard deceleration. I think a few new cars are doing this with their centre brake light (maybe all of the brake lights, but definately the centre one)
This is actually on some European cars, only with the caution lights. I've also seen people turn on their caution lights manually to simulate this.

Christ: I understand your concerns about the extra attention. There are more important things to do while driving, and when those things come up then I'll probably pay attention to them and forget about the manual switch. The brake lights will come on anyway if I really have to brake. If I just forget to push the button while engine braking then it's the same as now. Button pushing will happen only when my processor isn't overloaded and can handle one more thing to do. I do admit, though, that there is a larger load on my processor each time I have to slow down and make the decision: brake pedal or engine brake? If engine, then which gear? Etc.

EDIT: This is my 307 post, just like my Peugeot, a 307 model

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread

Last edited by Piwoslaw; 06-23-2009 at 03:36 AM.. Reason: 307
Old 06-23-2009, 07:27 AM   #16 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

pimp mobile - '81 suzuki gs 250 t
90 day: 96.29 mpg (US)

schnitzel - '01 Volkswagen Golf TDI
90 day: 53.56 mpg (US)
Quote:
...to rapidly blink your brake lights...
caveat, flashing red lights *might*, remotely, be interpreted as impersonating an authority vehicle. My LED tail lights "strobe" when starting the car at a stop and I've had a few strange looks from the authorities.
Old 06-23-2009, 12:20 PM   #17 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Red Car - '89 Chevrolet Celebrity CL 4 door
Team Chevy
90 day: 36.47 mpg (US)

Winter Wagon - '89 Pontiac 6000 LE Wagon
90 day: 28.26 mpg (US)
Quote:
Here's an idea...

A 1-axis accelerometer with analog output tied to a comparitor with potentiometer adjustment connected to a relay in parallel with the brake light circuit.

In normal human-speak, a circuit that turns on your brake lights at a particular level of deceleration, regardless of that deceleration being caused by your brakes or your engine or a wall.
Sounds a lot like a Tekonsha Prodigy trailer brake controller, it uses some nice accelerometer technology. Don't know how much an accelerometer costs which may be cheaper. Only thing is you would have to leave it on all the time which might drain your battery if you connect it to constant 12v to use with EOC. Or maybe connect it to a timer that will leave it on longer than your longest EOC then shut off. If you don't EOC, then connect it switched with ignition and call it good.

Winter daily driver, parked most days right now

Summer daily driver
Old 08-05-2009, 07:45 PM   #18 (permalink)
Relevance is irrelevant!

CR-EX - '12 Honda CR-Z EX
Send a message via Yahoo to bluetwo
There's nothing wrong with being extra careful.

For one, yeah it would be their fault if someone hit you, but who wants to live the rest of their life with whiplash?! ...in pain, without range of motion. F@#$ that.

Two there are enough people driving like pricks already. Of course it your choice. I'm a firm believer in highway etiquette because I think if more people would practice it we'd all be a lot better off.

Last edited by bluetwo; 08-05-2009 at 07:51 PM..
Old 08-11-2009, 02:49 PM   #19 (permalink)
EcoModding Wanabe

Red Rocket - '08 Toyota Yaris
I lightly press the brake pedal, I call them fake brakes, if anyone is behind me. I also FAS a lot to lights and do the same.

I do not use the fake brakes on exits and some right turns if I have a tailgater. I love these guys on corners. With my tires to 44# (max sidewall) the Yaris corners great and I can take a corner a bit faster than they expect. I already know just how slow I need to be going and have anticipated it way before the corner by coasting. They must think because I have been going slower on the road that they can just follow me around the corner… Shazam! I make the corner and they nosedive or panic and hit the shoulder. Folks that are back a respectable distance can see the corner and set their speed accordingly, not to mine. It’s not much but gives me a smile now and again.
Old 08-11-2009, 02:56 PM   #20 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
I kinda do that alot too... I take corners unreasonably fast, since I've spent so much time on tracks and road courses, it doesn't bother me when the vehicle leans extreme... others tend to want to counter the motion, though, which sends them in the wrong direction.

Honestly, if someone wrecked behind me because of their attempts at mimicry, I'd not feel bad at all.

Reply  Post New Thread