Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2019, 10:05 PM   #21 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.79 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
$122 for vehicles rated 0-19 mpg
$132 for vehicles rated 20-29 mpg
$152 for vehicles rated 40 or more.
How much for 30-39 MPG?

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-07-2020, 02:51 AM   #22 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,053 Times in 1,387 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
Portland stands no chance at improving the current horrid traffic problems until technology begins to solve them. Telecommuting may alleviate some of the problem, but automation may help solve some of it too. I really don't know why so many people need to show up to an office when we all have computers and printers. I fix servers located states away from my home.
Portland can improve our traffic and it doesn't even require new technology. It can be done for pretty cheap and with decades old technology if only the politicians had the will to admit to people that individual private cars are not a viable way to get around a city with our population density.

An example. I live 21 miles from my work. There is a Max train station 1 mile from each end of that trip. I should be able to take the train to work and save time over sitting in gridlock on Highway 26. However I can't. The drive is 45-50 minutes. The train is 90 minutes plus 2 miles walking.

Why? Because the train turns into a street car once it breaks out of the tunnel into downtown Portland The first 15 miles takes 34 minutes when it is on a dedicated right-of-way going 55 mph. Once in downtown it creeps along at a maximum of 12 mph and stops at traffic lights for cars. They need to close the roads it runs on downtown, put up gates / crossings and make the cars wait for the train. There is no reason that trip should take more than 50 minutes.

We can take out all the street parking on main streets downtown that take up 2 lanes of traffic and convert them to bike lanes and dedicated bus lanes. Cost - almost zero. We can close every 4th - 5th street on the grid to private cars and make them rapid bus routes. Make transit faster than sitting in a car and people will use it. I've seen it work in Japan.

Will this happen? Unlikely while the current generation is in power. They still remember a time when the entire town wasn't gridlocked and believe there is a way to turn back time if we can only build enough lanes on the highway. So instead of doing something that will work we are going to spend $500 million to add some on and off access lanes to I-5 that even the project planners say won't reduce congestion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
How much for 30-39 MPG?
Typo. That should be 20-39 mpg for $132

The Following User Says Thank You to JSH For This Useful Post:
redpoint5 (01-07-2020)
Reply  Post New Thread