Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2008, 01:32 PM   #21 (permalink)
EV test pilot

Electric Cycle - '81 Kawasaki KZ440
90 day: 334.6 mpg (US)

S10 - '95 Chevy S10
90 day: 30.48 mpg (US)

Electro-Metro - '96 Ben Nelson's "Electro-Metro"
90 day: 129.81 mpg (US)

The Wife's Car - Plug-in Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
90 day: 78.16 mpg (US)
I would LOVE to keep making more videos like this, but I do have to stay busy with earning actual money to pay the mortgage, etc.

One reason why I am trying to run more videos through Metacafe, is that there is the possibility of earning a little money.

I had thought about making a series on EV Conversions, and selling them on DVD, but this info is going to be constantly improved and updated, so DVD is not the best for that. Plus, I would have to actually manufacture, mail, take payment for, do all sorts of other work selling DVDs.

If anyone has some good ideas on "monetizing" these videos, please let me know.

I want to get the info out there, but I could do a whole lot more of it if it were at least part of my income.

300mpg.org Learn how to BUILD YOUR OWN ELECTRIC CAR CHEAP
My YouTube Videos
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-11-2008, 01:13 AM   #22 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

I don't know about making money right this minute-but if you wait until you're done before releasing the DVD you should have one heck of a presentation as well as 'proof of concept'(the finished vehicle). If you know how to include File Folders on a DVD (for the DVD-Rom drive) as an Extra, you could include Links to the manufacturers you used-for a possible Advertising fee from same. Add in any Schematics for wiring, any homeade controllers/converters and Templates you used in the process, and you would definitely have a nice, salable package!

In the meantime, do you have a private Blog/Website you can link these videos to? If so, A Paypal donation button would help defray your expenses a bit. Youtube doesn't allow direct Weblinks, I don't know whether Metacafe has a similar policy or not...if they do allow it, Direct Link to the Website (and Paypal Link) from Metacafe would be the way to go.
Old 11-14-2008, 09:46 PM   #23 (permalink)
PaulH

Michael's Electric Beetle - '71 Volkswagen Superbeetle 500000
Thanked 1,202 Times in 765 Posts
lovejoy

As far as the spider inside the lovejoy getting worn out (is it an L-110?), Lovejoy makes a bronze spider too. It can handle a lot more horsepower.
Old 11-16-2008, 10:39 PM   #24 (permalink)
EV test pilot

Electric Cycle - '81 Kawasaki KZ440
90 day: 334.6 mpg (US)

S10 - '95 Chevy S10
90 day: 30.48 mpg (US)

Electro-Metro - '96 Ben Nelson's "Electro-Metro"
90 day: 129.81 mpg (US)

The Wife's Car - Plug-in Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
90 day: 78.16 mpg (US)
It was an EV build day today.

I worked on trailer lighting for my car and getting the rear batteries properly bolted down.

Tom had his batteries, motor, and transmission rigged up for bench testing. The motor is bolted down to the adapter plate with the Lovejoy coupler going to the transmission.

I apologize for the picture and sound quality on this. I brought one of my camcorders with me, but forgot to bring a videotape!

I used the motion video feature on my point and shoot still camera to get footage of Tom test-spinning his motor.

In the first video, Tom is just spinning the motor against the transmission. In the second one, he is running the motor with the transmission in gear - not sure which one. I think it was third or fourth.

300mpg.org Learn how to BUILD YOUR OWN ELECTRIC CAR CHEAP
My YouTube Videos
Old 03-26-2009, 10:06 PM   #25 (permalink)
EV Converter

Tom, I have a few questions on for you. Can you give any more information on the motor? What HP, voltage, wye or delta, Base RPM, Max RPM, FL torque, is it inverter duty or just steer me toward a manufacturers data sheet.

Also, are you going to try to run this with a VFD by direct feeding the DC bus? If so, what manufacturer's VFD are you using?

I hope I'm not getting to technical. I have thought about doing a conversion along these lines. Used/surplus AC motors are cheap on EBay, VFDs too. I know of only one other person that has done an industrial AC motor/ industrial VFD conversion. He used an ABB inverter duty 10 HP motor and a 30kW Danfoss VFD if I remember correctly.

Reply  Post New Thread