Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2009, 11:53 AM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

2k2Prot5 - '02 Mazda Protege5
90 day: 33.82 mpg (US)
I wonder if i could get a gear reducer... when i work with customers on stepper motor projects the idea of a "gearhead" comes up often. I wonder if i could get a good solid gear reducer to attach to an electric motor on one end, and a stock S10 diff on the other end.... RELIABLY! (I will ask a mechanical engeering techologist that will be at my house tomorrow).

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-23-2009, 12:30 PM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
yes, they make gear boxes that bolt right on to motors, and I'm sure they make them for that size of motor even, but at what cost? that depends on what you can find, they are also most likely going to be made out of cast iron, weighing much more then your alloy transmission housing does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MazdaMatt View Post
I wonder if i could get a gear reducer... when i work with customers on stepper motor projects the idea of a "gearhead" comes up often. I wonder if i could get a good solid gear reducer to attach to an electric motor on one end, and a stock S10 diff on the other end.... RELIABLY! (I will ask a mechanical engeering techologist that will be at my house tomorrow).
Old 01-23-2009, 01:26 PM   #13 (permalink)
EV test pilot

Electric Cycle - '81 Kawasaki KZ440
90 day: 334.6 mpg (US)

S10 - '95 Chevy S10
90 day: 30.48 mpg (US)

Electro-Metro - '96 Ben Nelson's "Electro-Metro"
90 day: 129.81 mpg (US)

The Wife's Car - Plug-in Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
90 day: 78.16 mpg (US)
There are a few myths about EVs out there.

Two that come to mind are that "everyone just puts it in second or third gear" and "most don't have a clutch".

The truth is that there are LOTS of different ways to build an EV, and different ways to drive them.

Many of the smaller, slower vehicles, such as Citicars and NEVs are more or less direct drive - those also tend to be rear-wheel drive.

It's pretty easy to use a manual transmission in a home-built EV, as you still need some way to connect the motor to the wheels anyways.

My car has the manual transmission, and no clutch. I think it would be a little nicer with a clutch, but it does shift OK without one, and it was simpler to build without.

The only guy I know personally with an S10 conversion has the manual transmission with a clutch. He uses all his gears and shifts through them just like a typical truck would.

I have found that I could pretty much leave my Metro in third gear and drive it that way, but at the expense of high amps and some low end acceleration.

I will talk with Brian next time I see him about his S10 conversion. His is a very nice conversion with actual purchased parts. Nothing cobbled together or scrounged from scrap yards.

Maybe he would be willing to share some numbers from his project.
He's got some pretty good information on his EVAlbum listing, but I could ask him any other questions you would like.

Brian's S-10 Listing:
http://www.evalbum.com/1752

In general, electric motors tend to be happier spinning a little faster, and pulling fewer amps.

If you put a motor directly on a rear axle or driveshaft, it's going to be spinning slower and working harder. Higher voltage will help, but definately explore what you can do for some gear reduction in there.

Here is a Jeep with the motor attached directly to the transfer case, so that's one step closer to direct-drive:
http://www.evalbum.com/1095

300mpg.org Learn how to BUILD YOUR OWN ELECTRIC CAR CHEAP
My YouTube Videos

Last edited by bennelson; 01-23-2009 at 01:32 PM.. Reason: jeep info
Old 01-24-2009, 01:24 AM   #14 (permalink)
PaulH

Michael's Electric Beetle - '71 Volkswagen Superbeetle 500000
Thanked 1,202 Times in 765 Posts
I don't know anything about direct drive, but the only direct drive I know blew up a 144v Curtis (400 amp?) controller. It couldn't handle the higher amp draw. So, he made his own controller (hehe. he has helped me a whole bunch) and now it works just fine. It has a 600 amp current limit, though. That would not be terribly good on range of Lead Acid batteries. He uses Lithium Iron Phosphate, which don't care much about dumping absurd currents. So, to answer your Question #5, Heck ya you can! haha! You're ONLY a computer engineer? I'm a substitute teacher. I'm best at telling kids to shut up, and fantasizing about giving them a Karate Chop Sandwich with extra mayo, and mustard.