Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > The Unicorn Corral
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2013, 06:29 PM   #51 (permalink)
Master Novice

Josie - '87 Toyota Pickup
90 day: 29.5 mpg (US)

Felicia - '09 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 50.48 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerys View Post
<snip>
the point of lowering the power is not to increase mpg by reducing alternator drag but to ELIMINATE the alternator and water pump drag all together and make the power consumption low enough that "charging" the battery is convenient and not a hassle.
<snip>
maybe your race car would be a toaster without its pump for a few seconds but I can go several MILES with no damage in a pump failure scenario in a metro. plenty of time to realize something is wrong stop and fix it.
It just crossed my mind that the 113ci engine in my Farmall fares pretty well without a water pump. It's a thermosiphoning engine, have you tried removing the water pump and the thermostat, just to see how it does? You might be able to get along with the thermostat in place, but maybe try it without first.

Granted the power output of the Farmall is pretty modest even compared to the lowly Metro, but still it's worth considering. Gotta be absolutely certain there isn't an air bubble or anything in the waterways, though.

Let me point out too that for best performance in a thermosiphon system, add some alcohol to lower the boiling point. Get some vapor (not air) bubbles to form in the system at less than the usual boiling point to lift liquid through the block. If you really wanted to get fancy with it, you'd install a couple of check valves in the top and bottom hoses to ensure that vapor bubbles would cause the entire engine's coolant system to act as a big bubble pump.

Lead or follow. Either is fine.

Last edited by elhigh; 04-03-2013 at 06:35 PM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-04-2013, 10:24 PM   #52 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhigh View Post
It just crossed my mind that the 113ci engine in my Farmall fares pretty well without a water pump.
It was not an unusual arrangement afterall... It was even used in the Model T, DKW 2-stroke engines, among others...
Old 06-19-2013, 05:06 AM   #53 (permalink)
The manic mechanic

Hondo - '03 Hyundai accent gl
90 day: 33.81 mpg (US)
I like the idea but you would have to math things out. i don't know how many watts it takes to spin up a turbo to say 10lbs of boost, but it gets negated by the added power generated. with an alternator (assuming max efficeincy of the belt drive and that it's rated at 90amps) 90amps x 12volts = 1080 watts / 745.7 = 1.44hp required to turn it under a 90 amp load.

Can that be squeezed out of an exhaust turbine?
Old 06-19-2013, 09:16 AM   #54 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElPants21 View Post
I like the idea but you would have to math things out. i don't know how many watts it takes to spin up a turbo to say 10lbs of boost, but it gets negated by the added power generated. with an alternator (assuming max efficeincy of the belt drive and that it's rated at 90amps) 90amps x 12volts = 1080 watts / 745.7 = 1.44hp required to turn it under a 90 amp load.

Can that be squeezed out of an exhaust turbine?
Sure! If it is attached to another car!
Old 06-19-2013, 10:03 AM   #55 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

awesomer - '04 Toyota prius
I don't know much about turbocharger design, but the main question I have is if it can be designed (basically via PV=NRT) to minimize the pressure drop and maximize the temperature drop, thereby extracting more of the thermal energy and creating less back pressure.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:36 AM   #56 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

followup, found a basic diagram of turbine PVT transitions here
http://www.skybrary.aero/bookshelf/books/1621.pdf

This turbine is designed for a fair bit of back pressure however, so it can drive the compressor, though the gasses feed a convergent nozzle downstream. I assume the top line is temp, the middle is pressure and the inverted V is velocity. So while the vane stage doesn't do any compressing (temperature stays the same), the blade stage does some expansion, and hence the temperature drop across the blade?

So, does it stand to reason that if this turbine magically did not need vanes that temperature would drop faster than pressure?

(reading about Rankine and Carnot Cycle now)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	16.3 KB
ID:	13266  

Last edited by P-hack; 06-19-2013 at 10:55 AM..
Old 06-20-2013, 03:26 PM   #57 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

umm, while trying to sort out how semi-trucks do fuel injection, I saw this cummins ISX diagram, electrical power from exhaust is not a unicorn (but it is more complicated than that):
http://www.dieselpowermag.com/tech/g...e/viewall.html

Quote:
Where Will the Extra Energy Come From?
+6%from EGR energy

+2%from exhaust energy

+2%from the eliminationof parasitic accessories

=10%overall improvementthroughout drive cycle

Read more: http://www.dieselpowermag.com/tech/g...#ixzz2WmpoLkK7
they take heat, add fuel to make it hotter, run a turbine generator, ditch the mechanical accessories/alternator, and put some back with an electric motor.

Last edited by P-hack; 06-20-2013 at 03:35 PM..
Old 06-20-2013, 04:18 PM   #58 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

White Whale - '07 Dodge Ram 2500 ST Quad Cab 2wd, short bed
Team Cummins
90 day: 37.68 mpg (US)
That's some old info. I don't have all the links right now, but I know Cummins is currently running a waste heat recovery system on a prototype truck as part of the DOE-funded "Supertruck" program. I'm sure you'll find some info if you Google Supertruck waste heat recovery.

My version of energy storage is called "momentum".
My version of regenerative braking is called "bump starting".

1 Year Avg (Every Mile Traveled) = 47.8 mpg

BEST TANK: 2,009.6 mi on 35 gal (57.42 mpg): http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...5-a-26259.html

Old 04-14-2014, 02:56 AM   #59 (permalink)
GTR
EcoModding Lurker

Red VX - '93 Honda Civic VX

Teal VX - '94 Honda Civic VX

Godzilla - '09 Nissan GTR Premium
I wonder if the fact that F1 cars are now using the idea expressed in this thread if it no longer qualifies as a unicorn?

"The second addition for 2014 is the introduction of a thermal capture device. The similarly named Motor Generator Unit - Heat (MGU-H), attached directly to the turbocharger shaft, captures exhaust heat and coverts it, like the kinetic system, into electrical energy. This capturing device has the ability to dump power straight into the system on demand or store it in the Energy Store for later use. When activated, the MGU-H gives drivers another electric power shot to the drive wheels via the dedicated generator unit. And unlike the MGU-K, the thermal recovery unit can provide unlimited supplemental power throughout the race. For 2014, Formula 1 has limited energy recovery from the MGU-K to 2 megajoules (MJ) per lap with the ability to release stored energies to a maximum of 4 MJ per lap.

Another fancy power management trick is the way in which the MGU-H thermal unit manages turbo speed. Contrary to a conventional turbocharger system where a wastegate is used to vent out excess engine pressures derived from the turbocharger, the new unit actually controls the speed of the turbocharger impeller. The ability to speed up or slow down the turbo allows teams to not only better manage wastegate pressures in the engine but to spin up the turbocharger low in the rev cycle. As boost is enabled sooner, power comes on quicker, and that power procrastination thing known as turbo-lag essentially disappears from the equation."

Turbocharging and advanced hybrid tech coming to Formula 1 for 2014
Old 04-15-2014, 03:10 PM   #60 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post
I wonder if the fact that F1 cars are now using the idea expressed in this thread if it no longer qualifies as a unicorn?
Probably... Well, anyway, I'd like to find it in a street-legal car.

Reply  Post New Thread