Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2012, 06:23 PM   #271 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.79 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Hey guys, would these be decent hubcaps?

Second post, so please do me a favor and search Amazon for:

CCI IWC202-15C 15 Inch Clip On Chrome Finish Hubcaps - Pack of 4

$56.10 + $4.17 shipping

[It would be awesome if one of you could please link it for me! ]

Neil, I had wondered what exactly happened when you downshift going downhill. My dad taught me to downshift whenever possible, instead of braking. He gets up to 56 MPG in his Focus SFE, while I replaced the clutch on my 1987 Honda Prelude Si three times, and then the transmission went out.

I hope that you guys have a nice weekend!

$56.10 + $4.17 shipping

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-01-2012, 01:55 PM   #272 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The SCUD - '15 Fiat Scudo L2
Welcome to ecomodder.
Done !

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...CCI+IWC202-15C

If you don't really want the chrome plating, these are cheaper :
http://www.amazon.com/CCI-IWC413-15S...sim_sbs_auto_6

Both designs look reasonably flat, with little surface area being opened up, so they'll be OK. Completely closed designs will work a tad better still, but you'll get most of the benefit.

The Following User Says Thank You to euromodder For This Useful Post:
Xist (07-01-2012)
Old 07-01-2012, 02:04 PM   #273 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The SCUD - '15 Fiat Scudo L2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
Neil, I had wondered what exactly happened when you downshift going downhill.
Quote:
My dad taught me to downshift whenever possible, instead of braking.
We'll teach you not to leave the car in gear, unless you really want to slow down or need to control speed when going downhill.

Shifting down means you're still braking.
While it's more efficient than staying on the gas longer, and then slamming on the brakes, you're still braking, thus wasting energy.

Look even further ahead, and shift into neutral when you want to slow down (obviously, on level ground or going UPhill).
You'll still slow down by aerodynamic and mechanical drag, but you'll go a lot further overall, on less gas.
Hardcore hypermilers even shut down the engine when gliding along
(Bit of caution : you'll lose powersteering instantly, and power brakes after only a few dabs at the pedal.)

Quote:
He gets up to 56 MPG in his Focus SFE, while I replaced the clutch on my 1987 Honda Prelude Si three times, and then the transmission went out.
Over how many miles ?
You could be downshifting too aggressively, which is hard on the clutch.

Did dad teach you to rev-match when shifting down ?

Old 07-02-2012, 01:02 AM   #274 (permalink)
Not Doug

Quote:
Neil, I had wondered what exactly happened when you downshift going downhill.
Apparently, that was a different thread! Oops!

Neilblanchard talked about the Scion turning off the fuel injectors when you did not use the accelerator. He did not specify the Scion, though, so my car would not do that.

Okay, Euromodder!

Thank you for welcoming me, posting the hubcaps, and finding better ones! Seriously, who wants fake chrome? They are cheaper without it? I might purchase those right now!

I like the idea of having some ventilation for braking. I know that the goal is to never use the brakes, but in twelve years, it still does not work out too well for me! Besides, I live in Arizona.

The Phoenix area is flat except for freeway ramps. It is driving through canyons to visit my parents that is an issue. I always start coasting before I crest a hill to shed momentum, but I can still hit 100 MPH if I am not careful. The speed limit is 65 for most of the drive, but 55 on hills, and you can often find the highway patrol at the bottom. I was stopped the very first time that I drove my last Focus. Fortunately, I was only going 60-65, so I was not cited.

There is one straight hill which curves after it starts leveling off. I happily hit eighty there. I figure that I burned gas climbing the hill, I might as well make the most of the backside, but the rest of the drive, they are not just hills, it is canyon driving, a crazy zigzag. My dad stopped driving the short way because he received too many tickets. We usually drive the long way, which is straighter. That is where I passed 100 MPH multiple times. I think that maintaining 50-55 MPH going the other way is fun, but the speed limit is 35!

I try taking the curves quickly, but I do not have the nerve to take a 55 MPH curve at 75. I always jerk the wheel and\or brake.

I hate the idea of relying on my reflexes more than necessary.

When I first heard of the Prius I wanted one just for the hills. I read somewhere that regenerative braking was still less effective than not accelerating in the first place and then coasting, but I would rather get great mileage driving the speed limit than pay for brakes and speeding tickets.

In city, I always watch the next intersection (do not tell me to look at the one past it, too!). They started changing some of the "Don't Walk" signs to actually count down, but if I am close enough to read the numbers, it does not make much of a difference. I try to coast now instead of braking later, but I have been the victim of two hit-and-runs just for driving correctly. I try to not provoke the mindless masses too much.

For some reason I really like having brakes available when I drive down a mountain.

Power steering in a canyon is important, too.

As for my dad and his Focus SFE, he says that it was a 556-mile trip. No, he never taught me to match revolutions.

Honestly, I am not sure that my problem with the clutch reflected more than a bad situation. The clutch went out soon after I bought the car and my mechanic installed a cheap replacement from Autozone. The third time I bought an OEM part, but had learned how to shift without using the clutch, so I did that until the transmission went out.

I shifted normally on my subsequent cars.

Enjoy your Fourth of July, especially all you dang foreigners from other countries, to quote Jeff Foxworthy.
Old 09-22-2012, 11:32 PM   #275 (permalink)
ron
Master EcoModder

double eagles - '99 Dodge ram slt
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.48 mpg (US)
so next weekend I will be testing my version of smooth wheel covers on a 99 dodge ctd . What I came up with was 3/16 lexan, I cut 16in circle od and an aprox. 6.75in id using a circle jig and a band saw, I will be using lexel adhesive to attach the covers to Huntington beach ca. and back to Los Osos ca. aprox 240mi one way last trip average 16.52mpg @60-65mph c.c. used and scan gauge.
Old 09-22-2012, 11:53 PM   #276 (permalink)
Not Doug

Interesting! I look forward to pictures and data! Good luck!
Old 09-25-2012, 11:27 PM   #277 (permalink)
ron
Master EcoModder

double eagles - '99 Dodge ram slt
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.48 mpg (US)
Installed wheel covers and took pictures tonight. I need my son to show me how to post them . my TCD and my 2003 techoma . sorry they are clear . they only take 5min each to produce
Old 01-30-2013, 12:35 AM   #278 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

cammy - '98 Toyota Camry le
90 day: 29.18 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bror Jace View Post
Power to you, Concrete, but that sounds a bit too complicated.

I am seriously considering buying these instead:

Full Moon Racing Disc Hubcaps, Stylish Look, Great Prices, AutoAmenity.com

i really want some like that but, i REFUSE to pay that much for HUBCAPS esspecially when they are SO simple can you not find ANY cheaper and they don't have to be metal, i prefer plastic, i'm debating making my own (coroplast)
Old 01-30-2013, 12:41 AM   #279 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

cammy - '98 Toyota Camry le
90 day: 29.18 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicgenius View Post
Hi all,
first post here so take it with a large grain of salt but I've read this whole thread and there is no mention of how I mounted pizza pans on 15" stock steel rims. I need to note here that this will only work on some applications because my rims have a lip that accepts the pizza pans almost perfectly. (the pizza pans measure 16" straight across and the rim lip inside diameter is approx. 16 1/16") took some channel locks and squeezed the rolled up rim on the pizza pan so that it was forced out in 4 places. now the pans snap into place inside the rim lip like they were made for it. I haven't driven the vehicle at all with them like this as I did it last night. one other note with the balance weights that are on my rear tires i'm just going to cut a slot in the pizza pan and fold it inside so the weight of the cutout is still there just out of the way. I'll post some pics if anybody is interested and if I can figure out how to make them small enough
Wow i saw the picture way to go that's genious
Old 05-03-2013, 10:20 PM   #280 (permalink)
Not Doug

After reading about NeilBlanchard, m.portice, Verdann, and Mrtony5 making smooth wheel covers, I started looking for new hubcaps. They used clip-ons, while I have bolt-throughs. I posted about trying to use marine plastic on them here: http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...ers-24425.html, had my hubcaps been clip-ons, I probably would have had smooth wheelcovers back in December, and we would have seen how well it lasted.

So, these http://www.amazon.com/CCI-IWC413-15S...sim_sbs_auto_6 are more closed than most, and I could completely close them with marine plastic or cloth and fiberglass, but does it matter that they are convex? Ideally, would they be flush with the wheels?

Reply  Post New Thread