Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2012, 07:16 PM   #11 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

now we are talking

isn't she a beautiful brick !!! I want to improve mpg and this is what I was thinking, I have fabricated a new bumper which consists of a alluminium tube rolled back, that will bolt onto the upper bolts of existing bumper. I started a pan last summer that will attach under the grill between the frame bent down and back directing air under the front suspension and engine pan. I am now thinking or some kind of front tire deflectors like shark teeth. A belly pan will be relatively easy, attaching to my lockers and lower step on both sides joined together with a central piece all made from light guage alluminium. I was thinking a panel about 5 to 8 inches on edge from inside the front wheel to outside the rear attached to the belly pan, something like transport trucks, the visor not sure it that will work planned on leaving a gap between roof and visor so air can escape, was thinking it would deflect some air??? and a small kamm back made in one piece that would come out, down roll down the sides as big as I can get, still being able to open the rear doors. I doubt I would be able to get more the 18 inches. I was wondering if I should be thinking dam instead of directing air under vehicle. I am limited as to how low as I use it as a stealth, back country camper and want it to be practical, I will likely be carrying my scooter on the back as well. Would love to hear what you think and if you have any suggestion or if I am going in the wrong directon. cheers FK

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-23-2012, 08:02 PM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Boo Radley - '65 Ford F100
90 day: 13.28 mpg (US)
If you want to cool off the cab, get one of those reflectors for when it's parked. If you want better aero take the visor off. The visor will do nothing but create drag. If you want to post pictures use this
The Following User Says Thank You to Sven7 For This Useful Post:
flying kurmaster (03-24-2012)
Old 03-23-2012, 11:43 PM   #13 (permalink)
Banned

2004 CTD - '04 DODGE RAM 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)
Sweet van! Seriously, making it look odd may work against any plans about stealth camping you may have. Close to stock may be your friend, IOW. And save more money that way.

If you're getting near 16 on the highway then it's doing quite well. What does it weigh and how have you outfitted the interior? (If it isn't prying).

A great choice for a camp van. You might look up

Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums

for info on an engine that, with manual, would put you right on up there for mpg.
The Following User Says Thank You to slowmover For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2012, 12:37 AM   #14 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I did weigh it last year but I can't remember, van is in Canada and I am in NZ so can't check for you , it is not much heavier then a car, it is all alluminium, inside is done with 4mm panel and cedar for framing sterefoam insulation, not finished yet a work in progress but looking good, very livable, you are right I don't want to stand out too much and also right about changing over to manual and a deisel but not sure I want to invest that much into it. The aerodynamics are easy and cheap for me. I have access to slightly scratched alluminium and a few breaks along with some experience working it. cheers fk
Old 03-24-2012, 01:12 PM   #15 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Blue Meanie - '02 Volkswagon Golf TDI
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 48.52 mpg (US)

Wife's car - '05 WV Passat TDI

Rudy - '94 Chevy C2500
I think the best thing to do with that for is to cover the top half of the back wheels and smooth the bottom of the truck.

Now just guessing for the visor leaving an inch gap between the visor and the front of the truck to let air out at speed. Also I would raise the visor up and make it a shallower angle so the visor could help direct air over the truck and help negate the drag created from air escaping between the wind shield and visor.

"It's not rocket surgery!" -MetroMPG
The Following User Says Thank You to Phantom For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2012, 03:13 PM   #16 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,223 Times in 4,650 Posts
visor

Quote:
Originally Posted by some_other_dave View Post
You had "http" in there twice. Try this one:

http://i1066.photobucket.com/albums/...ght579x362.jpg

To embed it, you use the img tag inside square brackets: []. Then the URL for the image file, then /img in square brackets. The result is:

-soD
The fiberglass fairing on the upper leading edge when applied to a bus,with a 140mm radius ( 5.91") reduced drag by 12%.
By placing the straight-sloped ramp visor in front of it will cause the flow to overshoot the roof,causing immediate flow separation and higher drag.
Texas Tech's Aero Lab has investigated this sort of thing and it's REAL BAD.
The Following User Says Thank You to aerohead For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2012, 03:30 PM   #17 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

that is interesting, funny how sometimes logic does not make any sense. It already has a leading radius edge, I guess Grumman Olson put some thought into this, they have rounded all the edges. I might have to scrap the visor idea even though I like the look of them. So do you think all those transport trucks are doing themselves a big disservice by having those funky visors. I guess I will focus on smoothing the bottom, perhaps fender skirts. I have seen a kurbmasrter with a dam on the front but my logic was telling me to eliminate as much frontal area as possible and duct air under, smooth the underside, who has thoughts on that. Anyone with any ideas on channeling the air with a side deflector that runs from the inside of the front tire to outside the rear. cheers fk
Old 03-24-2012, 03:37 PM   #18 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,223 Times in 4,650 Posts
visor

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying kurmaster View Post
that is interesting, funny how sometimes logic does not make any sense. It already has a leading radius edge, I guess Grumman Olson put some thought into this, they have rounded all the edges. I might have to scrap the visor idea even though I like the look of them. So do you think all those transport trucks are doing themselves a big disservice by having those funky visors. I guess I will focus on smoothing the bottom, perhaps fender skirts. I have seen a kurbmasrter with a dam on the front but my logic was telling me to eliminate as much frontal area as possible and duct air under, smooth the underside, who has thoughts on that. Anyone with any ideas on channeling the air with a side deflector that runs from the inside of the front tire to outside the rear. cheers fk
If I was still trucking and driving into a sunrise or sunset with one hand shielding my eyes while trying to row through a Road Ranger transmission I might want some kind of visor.
But it should be designed with physics in mind.
You can fool most of the people most of the time,but you can fool the troposphere none of the time.
Old 03-24-2012, 03:58 PM   #19 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I think I will try and build it in a wing shape, leaving from under the lights on the roof coming forward and down rolling in the same radius as the Texas tech study mentioned above and securing back under the radius held in shape by the end caps bracketed to the side and center pillars with round or wing shaped tubing
Old 03-24-2012, 04:13 PM   #20 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Truck - '02 Nissan GU Patrol ST
Proper design can make the visor virtually zero impact and may improve aero on some vehicles with a sharp windscreen/roof angle. I have read a lot of trucking papers that touch on this subject, quote below from one I just found, point is if you want to keep the visor and have good aero you will need to do more research.
"Cab Sun Visors
Sun visors can be specified in two designs and are added for driver comfort. One design extends out from just in front of the cab roof and, despite slight rounding of its edges, will increase the drag in nearly all circumstances.
The second design is more rounded and extends over the top of the cab windscreen. This design rounds the front roof edge and can improve the aerodynamics of cabs with sharp front roof edges."

Reply  Post New Thread