Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2021, 10:42 PM   #11 (permalink)
マット

The Van - '95 Chevy Astro Cl V8 Swapped
Team Chevy
90 day: 7.84 mpg (US)

The new bike - '17 Kawasaki Versys X 300 abs
Motorcycle
90 day: 71.94 mpg (US)

The Mercury - '95 Mercury Tracer Trio
Team Ford
90 day: 34.35 mpg (US)

Toyota - '22 Toyota Corolla Hatchback
90 day: 40.11 mpg (US)
I was actually thinking about this the last few days. I was reading Road Vehicle Aerodynamics 1st ed. and there was a section (6.3, pg 115 if you have the book) about "BASE DRAG REDUCTION BY INCREASING THE WAKE PRESSURE" and it was very interesting. The main way he offered was with the exhaust gas from the engine, but for it to work well you needed a large displacement or turbo charged engine (high volumetric efficiency) to make a significant difference in terms of what is possible with this method. You also need to slow the exhaust gas down so that instead of ejecting the gas out of the wake it "pumps" it in, increasing the pressure in the wake. Also don't forget that with the exhaust it would work optimally during acceleration as it won't pump out as much gas at low throttle cruise.

I thought it was interesting regardless though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scibor-Rylski
Consider the total volume of air displaced by a car in motion as the product of its maximum cross-sectional area S and its speed V, i.e SV is a 'measure' value of the air flow rate. Thus the exhaust gases from a 1.6 litre car engine produce a gas flow of order of .67% of the total value of SV, the ventilating system may produce .167% and the engine cooling system about 1.2%. All these sources of air or gas can therefore produce a combined flow rate in the wake of about 2% of the total air displacement SV.

In the case of a vehicle with an engine of 5 litres capacity the exhaust gases alone can create an injection rate of about 2.1%. As the exhaust gases are ejected from the exhaust pipe at high speed a plenum chamber is required to reduce the momentum. By losing momentum the gas increases its pressure. From this plenum chamber gas or air, or a mixture of both, is ejected through a grid to ensure the correct rate of flow into the wake...

1981 Kawasaki KZ650 CSR
1983 Kawasaki KZ1100-A3
1986 Nissan 300zx Turbo 5 spd
1995 Chevy Astro RWD (current project)
1995 Mercury Tracer
2017 Kawasaki VersysX 300
2022 Corolla Hatchback 6MT

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6s...LulDUQ8HMj5VKA
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-31-2021, 01:11 AM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,584 Times in 7,068 Posts
I gave it my best shot in 2014(!):

The Idea was the positive displacement cooling air is ducted into a vertical stack that is perforated or baloney-cut on the front face. It is surrounded by a stainless steel concave reflector that truncates the boat tail.

Instead of volumetrically replacing the wake it uses the heat energy to 'wrap around' the airflow via the Coanda effect.

IIRC the exhaust and cooling air are both 1500cfm, but the exhaust is corrosive.

The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
Cd (01-31-2021)
Old 01-31-2021, 11:39 AM   #13 (permalink)
Cd
Ultimate Fail

Thanked 1,121 Times in 679 Posts
I remember the image well.
Are you the artist ?
Old 01-31-2021, 11:53 AM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,584 Times in 7,068 Posts
I'd answer to 'responsible party'.

Were it art, the boat tail would be healed into the vehicle. It was modeled in one program and rendered in another. Neither will run on my current hardware, so that represents something of a peak.

The Raspberry Pi will run Blender, but only a deprecated version, 2.79. I don't want to unlearn 2.8x or 2.92. If (and I say if) there's another round of plague money, I'd get the new Mac Mini with the machine learning chip.

Reply  Post New Thread