Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2009, 10:11 PM   #11 (permalink)
high school

sabre - '02 Buick LeSabre Custom
90 day: 23.45 mpg (US)

frontier - '04 Nissan Frontier XE
90 day: 18.97 mpg (US)
yeah the guy got them for his 4wd f-150, blew the engine, put them on his 2wd f-150 and doesnt like the ride. they're 148 each new, 500 miles on them and 100$ for all four.

and good grabs on those 33s . and how do you manage to have so many vehicles...(read: afford)

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-13-2009, 01:53 AM   #12 (permalink)
Ecomod noob

ZJ - '95 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Upcountry
90 day: 20.57 mpg (US)

Neon - '03 Dodge Neon SE
90 day: 33.46 mpg (US)

S'Crew - '02 Ford F150 Supercrew XLT
90 day: 16.4 mpg (US)

Ranger - '90 Ford Ranger
Last 3: 28.02 mpg (US)

Not the Jeep - '03 Dodge Neon SE
90 day: 34.11 mpg (US)
HA! Afford? Let me see. I'm still making payments only on my F150 Supercrew (when we moved from Cali to Utah, and changed banks, we refinanced for lower payments and spread them out a bit more. Almost paid off at 100,000 miles, YEESH!!!), then there is my Neon I bought new, paid off two years ago, my son drives it most of the time while at college. Both have only needed fluids, tires and basic maintenance. And both have full coverage.

The Ranger (ongoing project now), was originally bought 5 years ago for my son in high school for $800, over the last year and a half it has been rehabbed for more trail riding. I think we've spent about $800 more on it since we bought it. I took it off the road 2 years ago because of some big safety issues that came up due to age... Should be back on the road by the end of next month... Long story I can PM you later if you are interested... No insurance on it right now.

My 95 Grand Cherokee I bought when we moved to Utah, I have to drive a mountain pass that gets snowed in sometimes. Because I'm cheap and patient, I gathered mostly free stuff for the lift I put on it a few months ago. Pleased with where it can go, but also pleased I didn't lose as much mileage as I expected. Liability only.

My daughter needed a car. As I refuse to go into debt for kids cars, I found a fixer upper 1990 Jeep Cherokee. Mostly a base model, but it had functioning 4x4, and the automatic and the drivetrain worked. It was a bit ugly, but it wasn't bad, and for $700, if my daughter wrecked it, I wouldn't have been out much... Spent about $200 of HER money to get it to pass safety and she drove it happily. Since she didn't wreck it, last summer we painted it. John Deere Yellow. Same week we painted the Ranger in Olive Drab camo paint. I said I was cheap right? Less than $100 in paint and materials, and beer and BBQ for my friends that helped out. To paint BOTH trucks... Again, liability only.

Because of my son moving on in life, and turning 21 and getting married this summer, I bought a 94 Explorer for $350. It was great except for, a dead transmission. Well, I have about $20 more than the purchase price into parts for the rebuild. Never done it before. But, its almost all back together as I sit here this evening. My son will be home next weekend to help me throw it back in the truck. Tires for this are in my shed right now. They were for a project I was hoping to get, but it just didn't happen (1968 Scout, darnit). We'll work out the insurance details over the next few months. but I'll cover it with liability right now.

Last fall I got a 87 cherokee for free (missing some parts), the previous owner needed it gone NOW!!! Dragged it home because I needed some stuff from it for my daughter's Cherokee (and the engine can be used in my Jeep if it dies, but I can't decide yet to rebuild it for FE or just clean it and be done.). The front axle is going under the Ranger, other parts were traded with friends. We cut the roof off, then cut the thing in half. One of my jeep buddies is converting that into a trail trailer for his budding expedition business. And the rest of the truck went to a steel recycler, not the junkyard. Recycling...

My 70s Starcraft tent trailer I bought for $80. I need to rehab it, but will keep its 70s style. I will be replacing its wheel bearings and putting new tires under it. My wife wanted a larger trailer. I wanted something smaller I could pull with my Jeep. Pulling this thing behind my truck, I'm not sure it would notice it.

I'm always on the lookout for cheap projects. On any given day through Craig's List, or local want ads, I can find scads of cheap vehicle projects for $500 and less. All depends on how much you are willing to put into a project. And, how much you are willing to learn to fix. And having an understanding wife helps too... Only took me better than 24 years to get mine on board. This summer is 26th anniversary...

You asked, I answered, a bit long winded. Sorry for the hijack... Basically, I'm trying to enjoy my hobbies in an economical manner. And I'm pleased that my kids enjoy saving fuel (and their money) as much as I do. By saving where I can, I don't feel guilty enjoying my offroad excursions. Now if I could just ecomod my wife's thinking about lighting in the house....
Old 04-13-2009, 10:58 AM   #13 (permalink)
Wannabe greenie

The Clunker (retired) - '90 Honda Accord EX sedan
Team Honda
90 day: 29.49 mpg (US)

Mountain Goat - '96 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 SuperCab
90 day: 18 mpg (US)

Zippy - '10 Kymco Agility 125
90 day: 65.03 mpg (US)
Make sure you figure out the speedo--both the speed and mileage difference. When posting my mileage result here, I make sure to add 4.5% to the "miles travelled" in my logs, as that's how much the 32's add to my Ranger.

Reply  Post New Thread