Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2008, 04:37 PM   #11 (permalink)
EcoMudder

Harpo's Honda - '05 Honda Civic VP
90 day: 42.64 mpg (US)
Small Changes coupled

Think of any small changes, don't look for just big things. Much in like making a Race Car light, you can spend thousands getting one or two parts lighter, or you can make hundreds of small changes for no money to get same net effectweight loss.

I run 50psi Sidewall Rating. I check it weekly.

The ScanGuage is really the "best tool" for the dollar. You can learn so much about when to do what when you have good info. I took mine off for one week trip cycle. My mileage went down about 1.5mpg from tank fill. The constant monitoring is the biggest bang for the buck IMO.

I can get an extra 1mpg just by P&G for 2.5miles until car reaches best oeprating temp. Recently, I've found a parking place in the garage that allows me to "nose-in" which is against all normal Hypermiling techniques. However, that one spot get's full sun on hood of the Civic for 2-3 hours before my commute home. The results are simple. Better engine operating temps and higher IATs before I even leave the garage. About 1.5-2mpg difference as compared to trip to work. It's like have a block heater for free!

It's about time to take off cold air block now that summer is here. Once I get above 125degree IAT, the computer starts rolling back timing and feeding in more fuel flow. I would never have know that if it wasn't for monitoring ScanGuage. Upper grill block will stay.

Last edited by Harpo; 06-23-2008 at 11:45 AM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-22-2008, 07:43 PM   #12 (permalink)
Future EV Owner

Wannabe - '05 Honda Civic LX
90 day: 40.53 mpg (US)
I just want to parrot what Harp just said, plus add that you can't always compare your mileage to the mileage of others. Your driving conditions (i.e., hills, weather, congestion) are unique to you, so results will vary.

But like Harpo said, the guage will be a good investment. It will be your coach. Also, I personally would drive slower, which will easily increase your FE.
Old 06-22-2008, 07:47 PM   #13 (permalink)
Future EV Owner

Wannabe - '05 Honda Civic LX
90 day: 40.53 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachUA View Post
It was a lot of work to stay at the right speed, and to remember to push in the clutch everytime I could coast ...
I'm probably going to start a huge controversy with this question. But I was curious why you use the clutch. You can put your car in neutral by simply gently shifing the stick into neutral when letting off the gas. That way you're not "riding the clutch," or even touching it until you put it back into gear.

I will now hide in a safe place while others critique what I just said.

Last edited by Arminius; 06-22-2008 at 07:54 PM..
Old 06-22-2008, 08:22 PM   #14 (permalink)
Gasoline Hater

Blue Bimmer - '87 BMW 535 i

Stella's Ride - '03 Mini Cooper
90 day: 34.97 mpg (US)

RR's Raven - '05 Yamaha R1
What does your Civic recommend for psi? Not the tires themselves, but the car. Hard to imagine it would be much more than 35 psi or so.

Be careful with going overly high on the hyperinflation. You'll get uneven tire wear which will cause pre-mature wear, thus nullifying any savings on fuel.

Old 06-24-2008, 02:02 AM   #15 (permalink)
Honda Ecomodder

The Civic - '98 Honda Civic DX
90 day: 41.59 mpg (US)
Congrats! I reached 40mpg in mine last year on a trip across the state.

It's a good feeling.
Old 06-25-2008, 04:02 PM   #16 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Send a message via AIM to pumafeet10
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Baron View Post
What does your Civic recommend for psi? Not the tires themselves, but the car. Hard to imagine it would be much more than 35 psi or so.

Be careful with going overly high on the hyperinflation. You'll get uneven tire wear which will cause pre-mature wear, thus nullifying any savings on fuel.
You know you are completely wrong? most people on here and places like cleanmpg.com ahve their tire pressures much higher. like most that have any clue the higher you go the less frictional losses and variances you have leading to less deflection and energy wasted throughout the tire leading to less wear, better handling, longer life,more even wear, no need for tire rotations and much longer glides.

its like oil companies telling people to change their oil every 3k with all oils even synthetic, when they want to make money and have things wear out faster so people have to buy more stuff.
Old 06-25-2008, 05:27 PM   #17 (permalink)
Gasoline Hater

Blue Bimmer - '87 BMW 535 i

Stella's Ride - '03 Mini Cooper
90 day: 34.97 mpg (US)

RR's Raven - '05 Yamaha R1
Quote:
Originally Posted by pumafeet10 View Post
You know you are completely wrong? most people on here and places like cleanmpg.com ahve their tire pressures much higher. like most that have any clue the higher you go the less frictional losses and variances you have leading to less deflection and energy wasted throughout the tire leading to less wear, better handling, longer life,more even wear, no need for tire rotations and much longer glides.

its like oil companies telling people to change their oil every 3k with all oils even synthetic, when they want to make money and have things wear out faster so people have to buy more stuff.
'Tis debatable.

Reply  Post New Thread