Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2011, 05:57 PM   #11 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Dodge Neon - '04 Dodge Neon SE
90 day: 39.86 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by euromodder View Post
Have you blocked the upper grilles as well ?
No, not yet, maybe in the winter, but I am betting that I will need the cooling during the North Carolina summer.

Quote:
Any reasons to keep the plate on the front ?
It doesn't look like a licence plate.
A front plate is not required in NC and actually, there is no reason for it other than I like it. I realize I should see a small gain if I remove it. And I might just do that after I quantify my results as is. I might combine the removal of the plate holder with blocking the upper grill as that might net zero for airflow to the radiator (minus for blocking the upper, plus for opening the lower = zero).

I have been EcoDriving (as I like to call it) for about 2 years now. I think I have adjusted the nut behind the wheel all I can . So I am looking to step it up a little. Just added LLR Tires and now I want to see how much I can improve while, as one person said, being stealthy about it. Not really wanting to go boat tail, wheel skirts, etc. I also want to see what my "Real World" results are like.

My first drive to work today and my (VERY) preliminary results looks like I will see a measurable gain (about 1MPG or ~2.5%). But the truth will be over the next 3-4 tank fulls (2 weeks). Keep an eye on my fuel log!

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-16-2011, 08:57 PM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The best space to leave open would be the lowest and most central. So it would make more sense to put shields in front of the top grill and the foglight openings, and leave the bottom center open.
The Following User Says Thank You to winkosmosis For This Useful Post:
HannahWCU (05-16-2011)
Old 05-17-2011, 12:15 PM   #13 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The SCUD - '15 Fiat Scudo L2
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
The best space to leave open would be the lowest and most central. So it would make more sense to put shields in front of the top grill and the foglight openings, and leave the bottom center open.
+ 1 !

That's why I was asking about the upper grille blocks.
They won't help the (radiator) cooling very much, but often take in a lot of air.

Quote:
A front plate is not required in NC and actually, there is no reason for it other than I like it. I realize I should see a small gain if I remove it.
It's blocking part of what usually is the most effective area to let in cooling air - the lower central opening.

Old 05-17-2011, 02:52 PM   #14 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
+ 1 !

That's why I was asking about the upper grille blocks.
They won't help the (radiator) cooling very much, but often take in a lot of air.

It's blocking part of what usually is the most effective area to let in cooling air - the lower central opening.
The more I think about it the more I think I will do this. But I am going to quantify my current mods first (about 2 weeks, 4 tankfuls). This will allow me time figure out the best way to cover the upper grill. I might need to remove the bumper to fab something. I am wanting something stealthy but functional.

Links to any good examples?
Old 05-18-2011, 06:21 AM   #15 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The SCUD - '15 Fiat Scudo L2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HannahWCU View Post
This will allow me time figure out the best way to cover the upper grill. I might need to remove the bumper to fab something . I am wanting something stealthy but functional.

Links to any good examples?
You can add a block on the inside for stealth.

Have a search on the forum - though there will be a lot of hits - as there are some pretty nifty grille blocks out there.
And some redneck engineering as well

You could start here (EM Wiki) :
Grill block partial or full - EcoModder

Old 05-18-2011, 10:04 AM   #16 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Have a search on the forum - though there will be a lot of hits - as there are some pretty nifty grille blocks out there.
And some redneck engineering as well
Yes I did some searching on the forum and got LOTS of hits. That is why I was asking for links to GOOD examples.

Thanks for the links, though! I found great information in this tread:

ducting-air-grille-radiator

Last edited by HannahWCU; 05-18-2011 at 10:25 AM..
Old 05-19-2011, 09:24 AM   #17 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

First tankful with the new grill block was 40.72 MPG (364 miles on 8.94 Gallons). Not my all time best (41.13), but it is my 2nd best tankful. It is also above both my 3 best tankful average (40.62), and my lifetime average (38.53). So for <$5 in materials and an hour of my time, I think it was worth it.
Old 05-19-2011, 10:17 AM   #18 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
If you want something stealthy, you might be able to fill each of the holes with a blob of clear silicone. It'll be messy at first, but it cleans up nicely, and should only cost $6 for a tube of good material.

I believe if you take the bumper cover off, the grille snaps in place from the back. If filing the hold is am option for you, tape the front tightly, full from the back, smooth it off and let it set, then put it back togetherin a day or two. You can also get black silicone, which might be less noticeable.

A few other things include coroplast and thin black wire, more lexan, or just taping it off from the back.

Nothing you do to the front if going to look quite right, but that's not saying it won't look good.

The Following User Says Thank You to Christ For This Useful Post:
HannahWCU (05-19-2011)
Old 05-27-2011, 08:38 AM   #19 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

The first three tanks resulted in a 40.54 Average. Well Above my 38.7 lifetime average. I am not willing to attribute all of it to the grill blockers, we have had out hottest two weeks of the season so far (highs about 90). But for the amount of time I put in them I am happy. I will be working this weekend on removing the front tag mount and blocking the upper grill as some have suggested. Thanks for all the advice.
Old 07-26-2011, 08:18 PM   #20 (permalink)
2000 Plymouth Neon

The Whip - '00 Plymouth Neon Highline
90 day: 28.16 mpg (US)
Hannah nice neon

euromodder, im highly jealous of your volvo's. highly.

Reply  Post New Thread