Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2010, 11:27 AM   #1 (permalink)
Eco Amateur

AeroCav - '03 Chevrolet Cavalier
First Grill block design a failue.

So I tested a partial upper grill block yesterday. I'm not sure why but I actually got to watch my fuel gauge drop. One positive was my engine warmed up in less time, but it felt like it was working harder.

I compared the drive to my normal drive. Including coasting down hill and cruise control on flat roads.

It felt like my car was being held back the entire time. I'm not sure what happened. I thought a grill block was suppose to have a positive effect, however minute, on driving.

Any Ideas?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Grill Block 1.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	5602  
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-13-2010, 11:37 AM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Odd. Where dose the engine pull its air from? Did you inadvertently block the engine intake or cause it to pull hot air (not all cars like hot air mods).
Old 02-13-2010, 11:38 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Geo - '93 Geo Metro
Team Metro
90 day: 45.16 mpg (US)
Make another one, cover the entire grille/bow tie. It's winter, you shouldn't have any problems with overheating.
Old 02-13-2010, 01:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
Eco Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim View Post
Odd. Where dose the engine pull its air from? Did you inadvertently block the engine intake or cause it to pull hot air (not all cars like hot air mods).
As far as I am aware the intake hoses down to the bumper infront of the driver side tire. I'm going to dismantle it and find where the inlet is and block accordingly.
Old 02-13-2010, 01:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadisonMPG View Post
Make another one, cover the entire grille/bow tie. It's winter, you shouldn't have any problems with overheating.
From how it appears in the photo, you don't even have the entire grille blocked. I'd suggest you first remove it completely and see if there is any improvement. (I think it might be just coincidental about the performance. So I doubt this is cause and effect.) If there is no improvement, then it's an unrelated problem. You don't even have the whole grille blocked, let alone having a full radiator block. Usually, at worst, the fan will come on more often once it reaches 210+, but overheating is unlikely.

How many cylinders? Manual or automatic? How long does it usually take to warm up? Are you using a Scan Gauge?
Old 02-13-2010, 02:27 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,219 Times in 4,646 Posts
1.5 %

Quote:
Originally Posted by spydyr View Post
So I tested a partial upper grill block yesterday. I'm not sure why but I actually got to watch my fuel gauge drop. One positive was my engine warmed up in less time, but it felt like it was working harder.

I compared the drive to my normal drive. Including coasting down hill and cruise control on flat roads.

It felt like my car was being held back the entire time. I'm not sure what happened. I thought a grill block was suppose to have a positive effect, however minute, on driving.

Any Ideas?
spydyr,you're looking for maybe a 1.5 % change in fuel economy tops.If you weren't extremely careful just in filling your tank,this difference could be lost.
A fully-warmed car in mild weather with no wind over the exact same route would be required just to see this change through all the environmental 'bandwidth/signal-to-noise ratio.
I suspect that you've reduced your drag a little,you just can't 'see' it.
Old 02-13-2010, 02:34 PM   #7 (permalink)
Eco Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thymeclock View Post
From how it appears in the photo, you don't even have the entire grille blocked. I'd suggest you first remove it completely and see if there is any improvement. (I think it might be just coincidental about the performance. So I doubt this is cause and effect.) If there is no improvement, then it's an unrelated problem. You don't even have the whole grille blocked, let alone having a full radiator block. Usually, at worst, the fan will come on more often once it reaches 210+, but overheating is unlikely.

How many cylinders? Manual or automatic? How long does it usually take to warm up? Are you using a Scan Gauge?
4 cycliner. 2.2 L. Automatic 4 speed. Typically 5-10 minutes in winter 3-7 in summer. No.

When i drove the car with the grille block the temp stablized at 195 where it typically stays. No fans came on.

I'll try it without the block and see if anything changes.
Old 02-13-2010, 02:49 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Maroon Ballon - '98 Chrysler Town & Country LXI
90 day: 26.42 mpg (US)

MaEsTRO - '95 Geo Metro 5spd hatch, 3 cyl
I'd suggest not looking to the grill block as a panacea. Some people seem to think that a grill block will make obvious improvements immediately, and that's a lot to ask of a little cardboard and tape. And basing "failure" on one day's driving just doesn't make sense.

Understand that it's not about "blocking the grill", it's about "improving aerodynamics". Cover the entire grill, and make it as smooth as possible, but know that modifying your driving habits will have a much bigger effect on fuel economy than a cardboard grill block, and you need to sustain any changes you make for longer than a day.
Old 02-13-2010, 02:54 PM   #9 (permalink)
Left Lane Ecodriver

Prius C - '12 Toyota Prius C
That grille block looks sound, but as the other poster mentioned, you should probably block the entire upper section. No matter what, it certainly does not look like it's increasing drag.

Is there more grille below the bumper, too? If so, block 100% of the upper and a portion of the lower.

I regularly see +/-10% variations in my fuel log for no reason that is immediately apparent. If you do coast-down testing including taking a video of your speedometer, you may be able to discern the effect of the grille block.
Old 02-13-2010, 03:33 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mica Blue - '05 Scion xA RS 2.0
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.48 mpg (US)

Forest - '15 Nissan Leaf S
Team Nissan
90 day: 156.46 mpg (US)

Number 7 - '15 VW e-Golf SEL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 155.81 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,950 Times in 1,844 Posts
Is there an opening below the bumper? If so, then I'd block off the entire upper grill.

Did you have a different wind on the test day? Was it colder? Maybe the handbrake was dragging, or a tire was low on air pressure?

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/
Reply  Post New Thread