Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2012, 01:53 AM   #1 (permalink)
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
The first kilometer/mile

What is the best way to drive the first kilometer/mile to reduce both wear on the cold engine and fuel consumption?
  1. Pulse and engine-on glide, like I always do? The glides are usually longer than the pulses, so the engine is idling cold more often than not, which it really shouldn't be doing.
  2. Pulse and EOC? The engine isn't running cold then, this also extends the distanse before reach operating temperature. In my case, before killing the engine I'd have to wait for the turbo to cool down after each pulse, so I'd still be idling the engine. And once I'm ready to kill it I'll almost be ready for the next pulse.
  3. Steady driving in gear? This may speed up warmup time, but the engine won't be operating in the most optimal rpm/load range, so I'll burn more fuel.
  4. Other ideas???

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-14-2012, 02:14 AM   #2 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Prius Plug-in - '12 Toyota Prius Plug-in
90 day: 57.64 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)
Thanked 4,372 Times in 3,347 Posts
I am no expert on wear, but I practice option 1. This is no different than I normally drive with a warm engine though. I only P&G when there is sufficient downhill grade or utter lack of traffic to not disturb normal traffic flow. Lately I have begun EOC for coasting sections of 0.5 miles or more... Time to wire in an engine kill switch.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Old 10-14-2012, 10:03 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Hot Tamale - '10 Toyota Prius III
2. For better fuel economy. "They" say that with modern engines it won't make much if any difference in engine wear. Where did you hear that you have to cool the turbo after every pulse? I don't think that's accurate.

I know with the Prius they run the engine for a while when it's cold, but that's to heat up the catalytic converter, not the engine.
Old 10-14-2012, 11:43 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Sweetie - '11 Hyundai Sonata GLS
90 day: 39.35 mpg (US)

My Miles - '03 Combo GLS/KLX/Ninja
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)

Sipper' - '04 Kawasaki Ninja 250
90 day: 74.98 mpg (US)
Smooth light throttle inputs at a little higher rpm will keep wear to a minimum while the oil gets up to temp. Coolant comes up to temp within 2 miles on my car, but the oil takes another 13-15 miles before it is stable at 188f.

Until the oil is warm on my car it is very difficult to get best mpg's.
Old 10-14-2012, 12:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
The Dirty330 Modder

CruzeRS - '15 Chevy Cruze LT RS
90 day: 41.29 mpg (US)
I take it easy until my coolant gets up to temp. Though a little different on an auto trans the torque converter doesn't activate until my coolants at 170F and pulse and gliding makes my mileage go down if i don't use it

"The only real mistake is the one from which we learn nothing."
- Henry Ford
Old 10-14-2012, 03:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Where did you hear that you have to cool the turbo after every pulse?
Turbo Diesel vs EO(ff)C

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread
Old 10-14-2012, 04:04 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Hot Tamale - '10 Toyota Prius III
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piwoslaw View Post
That makes sense.

I used to have a Mitsubishi twin-turbo. I never idled it after running and never had a problem. I ran synthetic oil to prevent coking, though.

So take my advice and use your own judgment.
Old 10-16-2012, 03:16 AM   #8 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Berta - '97 BMW 318 tds Compact
90 day: 62.03 mpg (US)

Charlie - '07 Citroen C4 Grand Picasso Exclusive
90 day: 37.58 mpg (US)

Corsa - '05 Opel Corsa C
90 day: 53.22 mpg (US)

Mruczek - '03 Audi A2
90 day: 60.61 mpg (US)
As far as I know turbo won't heat up to the oil boiling temp during 10 seconds pulse. If you are driving on the highway for extended period of time with high boost that's the time to let turbo to cool down for a bit before killing the engine. And it's less likely for diesels than gassers, because exhaust gasses are much cooler. You should remember that turbo won't heat up just because of spinning, it's exhaust gasses temp that is heating up the propeller and then heat is transferred to the main axle, so it takes some time for heat to build up in the bearings where oil is working.

And regarding your original question. I think that if you want to reduce wear of the cold engine you suffer in FE area and the other way around, if you focus on the FE only your engine will suffer because of cold wear.

Quote:
Gerhard Plattner: "The best attitude is to consider fuel saving a kind of sport. Everybody who has enough money for a strong car, can drive fast and hit the pedal. But saving fuel requires concentration, self-control and cleverness. It's a challenge with the nice effect of saving you money that you can use for other more important things."
The Following User Says Thank You to AndrzejM For This Useful Post:
maczo (10-16-2012)
Old 10-16-2012, 02:54 PM   #9 (permalink)
The PRC.

Cold diesels do sound "rough" though which makes us think we are hurting them in some way, even the ultra modern CR ones. Also the mounts are cold and less supple meaning you get more vibration.

I tend to just drive as soon as the red oil light is out to get the temps up asap. The Prius does this but (as stated earlier) this is to get the cat up to temp and not the coolant - the Prius could do with a much smaller radiator opening IMHO, it looks like a basking shark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piwoslaw View Post
I never used EO(ff)C much in the Fabia due to this issue - I really didn't want to spend money on the Turbo which had already been replaced by the DPO. Plus the turbo needs really nice oil otherwise the VNT bits start to clog up - usually easily freed with a prod somewhere. Thinking further though I think the others are right - a quick pulse, even a really fierce one - wouldn't be enough to raise the oil temp enough to cause heat soak unlike a fast trip with a quick shut-off.

Being able to shut off whenever was one of the reasons to swap to Petrol. And also the radiator blocks, which I am about to go outside and refit now that George has had his "pre-winter" service - to keep the warranty alive.
Old 10-16-2012, 05:09 PM   #10 (permalink)
Hypermiler

PaleCivic (retired) - '96 Honda Civic DX Sedan
90 day: 69.2 mpg (US)

PaleFit - '09 Honda Fit Sport
Team Honda
Wagons
90 day: 44.06 mpg (US)
I have no experience with diesels or turbos, but I approach cold starts just like warm starts. Low rpm, high load (say medium load for the first minute), EOC. I'll let it idle a few seconds after starting, but that's it. Any deviation from that for faster warmup is extra fuel used.* My car has lived 200,000 miles, so I doubt extra wear is a significant factor.

Faster warmup does mean lower fuel usage later in the trip, but at best you get back half of what you spent warming up. Best fuel consumption is to arrive at the other end with the coldest engine you can. Grille block to make it warm up faster.

11-mile commute: 100 mpg - - - Tank: 90.2 mpg / 1191 miles
Reply  Post New Thread