Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hybrids
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2011, 02:41 AM   #1 (permalink)
5 Gears of Fury

Spunky - '90 Honda Civic CX
90 day: 35.56 mpg (US)
First trip in the 2000 Honda Insight

Well I cheated a bit, I had promised my bank account I wouldn't put an Insight on the road until I sold my Civic, but hey, why have an overdraft on your account if you never use it? And it turns out that you don't have to emssions test a hybrid here, I didn't know that. So I insured it, drove it to our parking lot at work, and washed the 3 months worth of dust off it. I have to say, they are kind of neat to drive. Figuring out how to adjust the rear view mirror was more of a challenge than one would expect - do you try and see out the small window out the bottom or the main rear window?? That bar in the middle doesn't help anything. When I bought it, the big battery was fully charged, but driving it around the auction yard and sitting for 3 months has reduced it down to the last line on the battery gauge.

I drove for about 50 kms round trip, with a good bit of that on the highway. I noticed 3 things: the charge light never came on, the auto stop never kicked in, and the idle never went below 1200 rpm. Actually the charge light did come on briefly after a restart (it showed 4 bars of charge for a second or two.) All this would lead me to believe that there is a coolant temperature issue. Correct me if I am wrong but it would seem that if the computer didn't think the car was at full operating temp, the high idle would stay on, and the regen and auto stop functions wouldn't kick in? The temp gauge showed 6 lines whatever that translates into. Tomorrow I will check to make sure the thermostat isn't stuck open, and maybe block off the rad to see if I can get some more heat into the engine.

I reset the fuel economy average display, and switched the readings into MPGs (I can't think in L/100 KMS) At the end of my shakedown run, I showed 70.7 MPG average! That was with just normal driving at the speed limit, and no electric assist from the flat battery. I filled it up with 94 Octane Chevron to get some Techron goodness, and to avoid any ethanol. Plus I figured it would help with the old gas that was left in the tank. I can't wait to see the final numbers on the first full tank through it!

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-01-2011, 01:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The OEM temperature gauge won't tell you anything useful. Mine jumps to 5-6 bars when the coolant temp gets to 140 (per Scangauge), and stays there when the SG says ~220 climbing mountains in the heat.

It does take a while to warm up, even with a working thermostat - maybe 5-10 miles on level road, depending on outside temp.

You should see regen when decelerating (or with very light brake application) no matter what the temperature, as long as the computer doesn't think the battery's at full SOC. Autostop depends on outside temp: if it's warm, it will come on without the engine being fully warmed. There's some logic in there, so the colder it is outside, the warmer the engine has to be. Also, the climate control has to be off.

The one bar of charge showing makes me think that maybe you need to force a recal. To do this, pull a fuse (I think #18) from the box by the driver's left leg and wait 10 seconds.
The Following User Says Thank You to jamesqf For This Useful Post:
War_Wagon (07-01-2011)
Old 07-01-2011, 03:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
5 Gears of Fury

OK thanks James, I will try the recal. I just stuck my head under there quick and it seems my fuse block cover is missing, so I will have to find something online to tell me which fuse is No.18. Or do you just start top left and count to 18? Don't know why I didnt think of that before lol.

Last edited by War_Wagon; 07-01-2011 at 07:07 PM..
Old 07-01-2011, 09:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Yes, count from top left. Or it's the 5th from the left in the bottom row. 5th position, that is: a couple of the slots may be empty. #14 is "not used", #17 is Canada only daytime running light. #18 is actually labeled as the backup light fuse.

I epoxied a short piece of nylon cord to the top of the fuse in order to make it easier to find by feel, back when I was having the IMA light come on frequently.
Old 07-02-2011, 01:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Golden Egg - '93 Toyota Previa DX
90 day: 31.91 mpg (US)

Chewie - '03 Toyota Prius
90 day: 57 mpg (US)

The Spaceship - '00 Honda Insight
Hey,

Good to see it on the road. Covet, Covet. I'll keep an eye out for you. Where's your 'hood?

Did you manage to sell the Previa?

"It’s easy to explain how rockets work but explaining the aerodynamics of a wing takes a rocket scientist.

Old 07-02-2011, 03:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
5 Gears of Fury

I am usually in the Hastings Sunrise area, or in scenic Richmond. There is a red one in Richmond too, I think the guy works at the Home Depot on Bridgeport, that's where I usually see it parked.

Had a few people look at the Previa, but no takers. I actually had someone tell me that it had a negative aura so they didn't want it. Did I mention I hate Craigslist?? I had one guy that was interested and was just getting into trying to hypermile, so I said he could have it for dirt cheap if he would sign up on Ecomodder and report back on his mileage, but he disappeared. Weird.
Old 07-06-2011, 05:56 PM   #7 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 60.16 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,957 Times in 3,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by War_Wagon View Post
Had a few people look at the Previa, but no takers. I actually had someone tell me that it had a negative aura so they didn't want it.
That is hilarious. Man, I love B.C.
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Old 07-06-2011, 06:21 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Golden Egg - '93 Toyota Previa DX
90 day: 31.91 mpg (US)

Chewie - '03 Toyota Prius
90 day: 57 mpg (US)

The Spaceship - '00 Honda Insight
Yeah the Previas are bad for Feng Shui too. The front window is right in line with the rear so all your Chi escapes out the back

"It’s easy to explain how rockets work but explaining the aerodynamics of a wing takes a rocket scientist.

Old 07-07-2011, 11:58 AM   #9 (permalink)
5 Gears of Fury

Ha ha ya the negative aura was a new one to hear, at least in a vehicle purchase. All I could think of was Kelly's Heroes after she said it.

I also instantly named the van Moriarty.