Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2014, 01:19 PM   #31 (permalink)
herp derp Apprentice

Saturn-sold - '99 saturn sc1
Team Saturn
90 day: 28.28 mpg (US)

Yukon - '03 GMC Yukon Denali
90 day: 13.74 mpg (US)
1500s are also a big step in efficiency, for someone that actually utilizes a truck, a capable 1500 vs a 2500 is as big of a step as going from that 1500 to a car
(my examples are limited as most 2500 trucks aren't rated)
2005 2500 silverado 2wd 6.0L auto comb mpg 11 or 9.1g/100mi
2005 1500 silverado 2wd 6.0L auto comb mpg 15 or 6.7g/100mi
2005 1500 silverado 2wd 5.3L auto comb mpg 16 or 6.2g/100mi
2005 cobalt 2.2L auto comb mpg 24 or 4.2 g/100mi
2005 aveo 1.6L auto comb mpg 26 or 3.8g/100mi

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-16-2014, 01:35 PM   #32 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersbird View Post
I also think one vehicle that can do many things has a certain appeal. Yeah a trailer can haul things but what about tow a boat or camper? What about hunting? What about more crash protection? Many are 6 passenger with lots of room for luggage and dogs. Etc, etc. Just because you see them commuting doesn't mean that's the only thing they do.
But it does mean that upwards of 95% of their use is wasteful. Designing one tool to do a multitude of jobs means that it most likely won't do any of those jobs very well. IOW, it'd be much more efficient to buy a small car (or motorcycle, &c) for the driving to work, and use the truck only when it's really needed. (Which is what I do, with Insight & Toyota pickup.)

The Toyota is perfectly capable of towing a reasonable-sized boat. Sure, if you ego is such that you think your boat has to be about half the size of the Queen Mary, you need something larger to tow it, but IMHO psychological counseling would be a better investment :-) Camping? Well, I can put everything I need to camp in a backpack, and carry it in the Insight. I don't do hunting (too much like work), but I do hike, bike, & ride horses in suitable places for hunting, and have no problem getting there. As I said earlier, the Toyota will go places most 'full-sized' truck owners won't dream of going, if only because they're afraid of scratching their paint.
Old 09-16-2014, 01:58 PM   #33 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanked 1,178 Times in 807 Posts
I think your 95% is just randomly pulled out of thin air. I just scanned the area around me and count 100 vehicles, 7 which are full sized pickups and I live in "truck country". 3 of those pickups are being used in work and actually have large contractor trailers hooked up. I know a lot of truck owners and don't know many who don't use the capability a good portion of their use. I used to have a 2500 Chevy myself that just sat there most of the year so I finally sold it, my slide in camper, and my boat. Now my weekends suck LOL! I do have a 5x8 utility trailer. And hunting truck is more about not putting a bunch of blood in the back of mamma's minivan. I learned that lesson the hard way, but bouncing around and empty utility trailer up in the woods on iced narrow roads is no fun either. Maybe in California a truck is some kind of status symbol, but around here people aren't just out blowing money on something they don't need.
Old 09-16-2014, 02:33 PM   #34 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanked 1,178 Times in 807 Posts
Also I think more people would but a Tacoma if they in their common form 4x4 v6 didn't get pretty much the same mileage as the 2014 v6 ecoboost F150 while ultimately costing about the same after rebates.
Old 09-16-2014, 05:39 PM   #35 (permalink)
Corporate imperialist

Sub - '84 Chevy Diesel Suburban C10
SUV
90 day: 19.5 mpg (US)

camaro - '85 Chevy Camaro Z28

Riot - '03 Kia Rio POS
Team Hyundai
90 day: 30.21 mpg (US)

Bug - '01 VW Beetle GLSturbo
90 day: 26.43 mpg (US)

Sub2500 - '86 GMC Suburban C2500
90 day: 11.95 mpg (US)

Snow flake - '11 Nissan Leaf SL
SUV
90 day: 141.63 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,528 Times in 2,802 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
Is that for the 1986 S-10? The S-10 was what you called full-sized? How does the 2.8L engine prove the fuel efficiency of a 2.8L diesel from three years previous?
I don't know about any GM 2.8L diesel, but that god awful 2.8L POS gas engine they put in everything was also in a Camaro with a 5-speed manual I used to have. It would get up to 29mpg on the highway. Put the 2.8L POS in a boxy truck and I would expect it to get quite a few little less MPGs.

Now if you are talking 6.2L and 6.5L diesel engines in an S-10 then yeah they can get right about 30mpg.
Only problem is GM never put a that diesel in production S-10, so there would be no EPA rating.
There is at least one person over on the dieselplace.com/forum that has built a diesel powered S-10 and they are claiming to get something like 28 to 30 mpg.
Old 09-16-2014, 05:49 PM   #36 (permalink)
Corporate imperialist

Sub - '84 Chevy Diesel Suburban C10
SUV
90 day: 19.5 mpg (US)

camaro - '85 Chevy Camaro Z28

Riot - '03 Kia Rio POS
Team Hyundai
90 day: 30.21 mpg (US)

Bug - '01 VW Beetle GLSturbo
90 day: 26.43 mpg (US)

Sub2500 - '86 GMC Suburban C2500
90 day: 11.95 mpg (US)

Snow flake - '11 Nissan Leaf SL
SUV
90 day: 141.63 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,528 Times in 2,802 Posts
Quote:
I think your 95% is just randomly pulled out of thin air. I just scanned the area around me and count 100 vehicles, 7 which are full sized pickups and I live in "truck country". 3 of those pickups are being used in work and actually have large contractor trailers hooked up. I know a lot of truck owners and don't know many who don't use the capability a good portion of their use. I used to have a 2500 Chevy myself that just sat there most of the year so I finally sold it, my slide in camper, and my boat. Now my weekends suck LOL! I do have a 5x8 utility trailer. And hunting truck is more about not putting a bunch of blood in the back of mamma's minivan. I learned that lesson the hard way, but bouncing around and empty utility trailer up in the woods on iced narrow roads is no fun either. Maybe in California a truck is some kind of status symbol, but around here people aren't just out blowing money on something they don't need.
I said people buying truck and using them like a car is an east coast thing.
In newmexico and texas I see people using half tons to pull bob cats or loaded way down being used as welding/service trucks. Then 1tonns being used in place of tractor trailers hauling cow trailers packed with well over 10k of extremely rare hamburg and hay trailers loaded way past 20,000lb of gross trailer weight.

East coast is where I saw countless half tons with pristine condition, linerless pickup beds and trailer hitches that have never seen a hitch installed.
Old 09-16-2014, 06:54 PM   #37 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
Will that 27MPG have to be "scaled-BACK" like the C-Max 42MPG was?
Old 09-17-2014, 01:29 PM   #38 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
I think your 95% is just randomly pulled out of thin air.
To an extent, yes. I was tempted to say 99%, but thought I'd be conservative. I'm going by what I see around me, and I do live about as far from the East Coast as you can get without running into California.

Quote:
3 of those pickups are being used in work and actually have large contractor trailers hooked up.
Slight digression: I see a lot of those 'contractor trailers' nowadays, and most of the time they're being pulled by a newish pickup with an empty bed, which seems to defeat the purpose of having a truck in the first place. Is it just that the bed's so high up it's not really usable any more? And FWIW, I worked construction for years, using a '78 Datsun and the aforementioned '68 Toyota.

Quote:
I used to have a 2500 Chevy myself that just sat there most of the year so I finally sold it, my slide in camper, and my boat. Now my weekends suck LOL!
Tent plus canoe or kayak, maybe a sailboard. Weekends get interesting again :-)

Quote:
And hunting truck is more about not putting a bunch of blood in the back of mamma's minivan.
Tarp :-)

Quote:
I learned that lesson the hard way, but bouncing around and empty utility trailer up in the woods on iced narrow roads is no fun either.
So that's why you need the pickup, for that sort of road. (Though as I said, most of the pickup owners I know wouldn't take their trucks on that sort of road for fear of scratching the paint.) What you probably don't need it for is the daily commute to work. It's a matter of using the right tool for the job, rather than trying to drive screws with a sledgehammer :-)
Old 09-17-2014, 03:43 PM   #39 (permalink)
herp derp Apprentice

Saturn-sold - '99 saturn sc1
Team Saturn
90 day: 28.28 mpg (US)

Yukon - '03 GMC Yukon Denali
90 day: 13.74 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post

Slight digression: I see a lot of those 'contractor trailers' nowadays, and most of the time they're being pulled by a newish pickup with an empty bed, which seems to defeat the purpose of having a truck in the first place. Is it just that the bed's so high up it's not really usable any more? And FWIW, I worked construction for years, using a '78 Datsun and the aforementioned '68 Toyota.

Tarp :-)

So that's why you need the pickup, for that sort of road. (Though as I said, most of the pickup owners I know wouldn't take their trucks on that sort of road for fear of scratching the paint.) What you probably don't need it for is the daily commute to work. It's a matter of using the right tool for the job, rather than trying to drive screws with a sledgehammer :-)
The back of the truck is empty because everything not locked is stolen

Let me know how other potential drivers of the vehicle feel about the tarp, I think it's really only an option w/ vehicles <$2k. I've seen a guy try and fail at this, leaving a bloody carpet. What volume of blood does a tarp hold?

Commuting to work in a truck is almost never the best fuel effiecient option, but if their commute is short enough, an additional vehicle wont make financial sense
The Following User Says Thank You to 2000mc For This Useful Post:
user removed (09-17-2014)
Old 09-17-2014, 04:07 PM   #40 (permalink)
Hypermiler

PaleCivic (retired) - '96 Honda Civic DX Sedan
90 day: 69.2 mpg (US)

PaleFit - '09 Honda Fit Sport
Team Honda
Wagons
90 day: 44.06 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000mc View Post
Let me know how other potential drivers of the vehicle feel about the tarp, I think it's really only an option w/ vehicles <$2k. I've seen a guy try and fail at this, leaving a bloody carpet. What volume of blood does a tarp hold?
I can say from experience, it'll take something more solid and less porous than a tarp. I'm assuming blood will flow similarly to urine, like when I hauled sheep in the Odyssey. A double layer of new tarp didn't stop it. Now there's a lovely smell whenever it gets hot in the sun (I live in Texas...).

11-mile commute: 100 mpg - - - Tank: 90.2 mpg / 1191 miles
Reply  Post New Thread