Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2018, 01:30 PM   #71 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,387 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by All Darc View Post
What is less expensive than fiber glass, and still suitable to a DYO project of a vehicle ???

Carbon fiber it's a lot more expensive
I spent about $80 in materials to make 2 attempts at a kitchen sink mold. Everything is less expensive than 2 failed attempts to work with the wretched stuff.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-23-2018, 01:38 PM   #72 (permalink)
Banned

Just wonders for a future. Dreams...
I imagine a Morelli car for two, with solar panels on nearly all the top surface.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
It would depend on the shape. What is it you hope to make?

Polymetal.
Old 02-23-2018, 01:42 PM   #73 (permalink)
Banned

The cloth sheet of fiberglass are not expensive, but the resin can be.

Maybe a polished finish, when working direct on positive mold, can be also performed like they do for surfboards, using handing machines to sandpaper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
I spent about $80 in materials to make 2 attempts at a kitchen sink mold. Everything is less expensive than 2 failed attempts to work with the wretched stuff.
Old 02-23-2018, 03:38 PM   #74 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,575 Times in 7,061 Posts
This would be my most buildable concept: Supereliptic Morelli body with single-speed Toyota HSD axle.

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...tml#post562058

The Lexus axle is 18" across so you could attach wheels directly without axles and get a narrow rear track. If the front wheels are held within the maximum width of the teardrop body, there will still be turbulence flowing down the sides. I think it might be better to move the front wheels forward and out for a stance like this Beetle:

The superellipse can be as close to square as is needed to accommodate the solar cells and flat sheet materials. And as curved as possible for crosswind performance.

Old 02-24-2018, 12:52 PM   #75 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,625 Times in 1,450 Posts
Quote:
Sorry, I disagree a bit, but slavery left scars in the local culture of northeast. People in northeast are more racist, and the education level it's low, criminal rates are higher there, and domestic violence, prejudice, sexism and corruption too.
I have relatives from there, I know how they think.
It's not a Northeast-only problem. Low education is a nationwide issue, and so are the criminal rates. BTW my mother is from Recife.

Back on topic: have you ever considered trying some vegetable fibers? Since they absorb carbon (and in some cases nitrogen too) during their growth, plus requiring a much lower energy input to process, it's a cleaner option to fiberglass and even carbon fiber.
Old 02-24-2018, 03:19 PM   #76 (permalink)
Banned

Sure it's a national problem. But the statistics show worse situation for such areas. In north people are more trouble makers too, specially in small cities, starings fights easily.

Sorry, first time when you reffered about vegetable fibers I imagine you were being ironic or trying to making some friendly humor.
Well, I didn't kwen vegetable fibers could be used with resin to creat shells for vehible. I kwen it could be used in eco home building, like eco bricks, but not for cars.
What kind of fibers ?
I'm more on curiosity and trying to learn. No intention to build anything soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
It's not a Northeast-only problem. Low education is a nationwide issue, and so are the criminal rates. BTW my mother is from Recife.

Back on topic: have you ever considered trying some vegetable fibers? Since they absorb carbon (and in some cases nitrogen too) during their growth, plus requiring a much lower energy input to process, it's a cleaner option to fiberglass and even carbon fiber.
Old 02-24-2018, 03:34 PM   #77 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,575 Times in 7,061 Posts
https://duckduckgo.com/?t=palemoon&q=henry+ford+hemp

The longest, strongest and most environmentally friendly would be Hemp. Mercedes-Benz uses it for the particle board in their car interiors.

I don't think anyone has been able to make the resin matrix from cannabis, but it's not for lack of trying.

Also, education ≠ wisdom.

Old 02-25-2018, 06:45 PM   #78 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,625 Times in 1,450 Posts
Quote:
Sure it's a national problem. But the statistics show worse situation for such areas. In north people are more trouble makers too, specially in small cities, starings fights easily.

Sorry, first time when you reffered about vegetable fibers I imagine you were being ironic or trying to making some friendly humor.
Well, I didn't kwen vegetable fibers could be used with resin to creat shells for vehible. I kwen it could be used in eco home building, like eco bricks, but not for cars.
What kind of fibers ?
I'm more on curiosity and trying to learn. No intention to build anything soon.
My dad usually refer to binge-drinking as the "liquid courage", and yes, it's a common problem in NE.

Back on topic again: have you never even heard about the Manacá, a prototype from the 80s that had its body made out of fibers from jute (juta), snake plant (espada de São Jorge) and banana plant fibers? You could also try sisal, since it's often pointed out as the strongest vegetable fiber (at least the strongest that you could find easily and legally here).
Old 02-26-2018, 07:34 PM   #79 (permalink)
Banned

Alcoholism it's a huge probblem in southeast too, and among young women rised nearly twice in last 9 or 10 years. "Feminism" through media exploitation is making gender equal by turning women as bad as man. Booze industry got richer.

Sisal.. the few things about sisal I found was expensive.

A question, how buy from Alibaba being on Brazil ?
If our taxes and taxes rules are the devil, and manytimes taxes people based in a value much more espensive than what was paid in reality, how to buy for example solar cells that on Alibaba are 1/3 the price than on eBay, like the SunPower solar cells ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
My dad usually refer to binge-drinking as the "liquid courage", and yes, it's a common problem in NE.

Back on topic again: have you never even heard about the Manacá, a prototype from the 80s that had its body made out of fibers from jute (juta), snake plant (espada de São Jorge) and banana plant fibers? You could also try sisal, since it's often pointed out as the strongest vegetable fiber (at least the strongest that you could find easily and legally here).
Old 02-27-2018, 11:23 AM   #80 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,790 Times in 1,959 Posts
No thread like this is complete without mentioning the Trabant of East Germany and the Duroplast it was made of.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duroplast

1977 Porsche 911s Targa
1998 Chevy S-10 Pick-Up truck
1989 Scat II HP Hovercraft

Chin Spoiler:
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/off-t...effective.html

Rear Spoiler Pick Up Truck
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/off-t...xperiment.html

Roof Wing
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...1-a-19525.html
The Following User Says Thank You to kach22i For This Useful Post:
freebeard (02-27-2018)