Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2014, 02:52 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Future Production Cars? (efficient and inexpensive?)

I'm toying with the idea of getting a new, or at least newer, car in the next year. Any suggestions for highly efficient, yet inexpensive new cars that will be coming to market in the near future?

I came really close to buying a Mitsubishi Mirage this spring. I went to the dealer fully expecting to buy one for the full price listed on the web-site ($13k including taxes and fees), but the dealer had other ideas, and offered me a raft of extra fees that amounted to $2k more. The "lowest price" was only $900 more but included absurd charges I didn't agree with so I left. It is unfortunate, as I would have cheerfully paid $14k for the car had I known that was the price up-front. I'm still considering the Mirage, but don't really want to do business with the local dealer.

I like the new Honda Fit, and the Honda dealer. My issues with the Fit are that in manual transmission form they added a useless 6th gear. Rather than expanding the gear range, they just added an extra ratio between 3 and 4 I think, but the top, bottom, and final ratios all remain the same. As such, the manual doesn't get the best fuel mileage, and to get the model that does means going up to heated seats and CVT for a total difference of about $5k. That makes the base model $4k more than the Mirage, and the LX/CVT model almost $9k more.

A Prius C is an option, but I am not really fond of hybrids, and I don't actually put that many miles on a car, so it is a little more than I want to spend.

I'm really hoping the Elio gets made, but doubt it will be available here in Canada anytime soon.

The 2016 Mazda2 seems to have a lot of promise, but no numbers have been released on fuel use or cost.

Any other new contenders? Suggestions for good used ones (here in Winnipeg all the Festivas and Metros have pretty much rusted away)

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-06-2014, 03:17 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

spyder2 - '00 Toyota MR2 Spyder
Mazda 3? Seems like a more appropriate competitor to the Honda Fit in terms of space at least.

Or the Mazda 2, I have pretty good faith that Mazda will execute it well. The new Mazda CX5 and Mazda 6 are fantastic.
Old 09-06-2014, 04:17 AM   #3 (permalink)

Canadian, eh? Nissan Micra is available then. Not as good on fuel economy as some of the other options you listed, but still decent and you can buy one new for under $10k!

2001 Civic HX Mods

CTS-V

2003 Silverado Mods
Old 09-06-2014, 04:52 AM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

In terms of capacity, the Mazda3 certainly is closer to the Fit.

In terms of efficiency, the Mirage is better than the Fit, or perhaps it is the same if one considers total space/total fuel use. The Mazda3 does very well by this measure as well (though I think 15 passenger vans really win).

I don't like the Micra, as it uses as much fuel as the Fit, but is small like the Mirage. The Mirage is also under $10k base, and much more efficient. The Micra looks better though, and has more power and better suspension, from what I have read.

Most of the time I drive alone or with one passenger, so capacity isn't a big deal for me. I am looking for efficiency, build quality, and long-term reliability. I am unconcerned with luxury features and "performance" (as defined by 0-60, top speed, time through slalom courses etc).
Old 09-06-2014, 07:42 AM   #5 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,960 Times in 3,604 Posts
Hi canoeist...

The new Mini is available with a turbo 3-cylinder, as is the Fiesta. In terms of fuel economy, both are competitive (a touch lower) with the Mirage 5 speed on the open road, though fall short in city driving and both are more expensive. Can't comment on reliability of either, and the Fiesta is reportedly noticeably smaller inside than the Mitsu.

I'd wager we may see a triple show up in the Chevy Spark in the next year or two if they certify the engine for use as the generator in the 2016 Volt.

The 2016 mazda2/Yaris (shared platform & development) will be interesting. Toyota won't want to sell an entry level model that challenges the efficiency of their Prius C, but Mazda has no similar worries.

Edit: it's too bad your Mitsu dealer ticked you off, because the Mirage is the current leader. Is it just the sales department you want to avoid? Would you get one elsewhere and just use the dealer for service/warranty?
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Old 09-06-2014, 11:06 AM   #6 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,960 Times in 3,604 Posts
As for used cars, the simple answer is to head to fueleconomy.gov and use the 'power search' feature. You can specify a year range and a minimum mpg (US) to separate the wheat from the chaff.
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Old 09-06-2014, 02:23 PM   #7 (permalink)

Pope Pious the Prius - '13 Toyota Prius Two
Team Toyota
SUV
90 day: 51.62 mpg (US)

Tycho the Truck - '91 Toyota Pickup DLX 4WD
90 day: 22.22 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,802 Times in 939 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
Edit: it's too bad your Mitsu dealer ticked you off, because the Mirage is the current leader. Is it just the sales department you want to avoid? Would you get one elsewhere and just use the dealer for service/warranty?
If so, canoeist, try contacting multiple dealerships' internet sales departments via email. In your message, mention that you are contacting several dealers looking for the best price on a Mirage or whatever you end up deciding to get. That way, they know right off the bat they have to compete for your business and you can generally avoid places like the one you dealt with.
Old 09-06-2014, 03:13 PM   #8 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Thanks again, everyone.

There are two Mitsu dealers in my town, but they share ownership. One wasn't as nearly as bad as the other, so perhaps in time I will forgive their behaviour and just buy the Mirage. It is possible that it isn't even their "fault", and Mitsubishi Canada is to blame by not revealing all the fees on the web-site (though some of the included fees were doubled, and the first dealer told me stories that didn't make any sense like a/c tax on a car without a/c, and that they filled all the fluids as part of their extra PDI which was in addition to the PDI charge included and "this is $300 and they will explain what it is in the finance office!). As it stands I'd drive a long way to get one elsewhere, but the next closest dealer is probably at least 6 hours away.
Old 09-06-2014, 04:54 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master EcoWalker

Red Devil - '11 Honda Insight Elegance
Team Honda
90 day: 49.01 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,245 Times in 1,454 Posts
If you are looking at a Honda Fit again inquire about how much they could knock off the price of the outphasing Insights they can't get rid off.
You would not be the first that came for a Fit and left with an Insight.

For confirmation go to people just like you.
For education go to people unlike yourself.
Old 09-06-2014, 08:45 PM   #10 (permalink)

Pope Pious the Prius - '13 Toyota Prius Two
Team Toyota
SUV
90 day: 51.62 mpg (US)

Tycho the Truck - '91 Toyota Pickup DLX 4WD
90 day: 22.22 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,802 Times in 939 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by canoeist View Post
Thanks again, everyone.

There are two Mitsu dealers in my town, but they share ownership. One wasn't as nearly as bad as the other, so perhaps in time I will forgive their behaviour and just buy the Mirage. It is possible that it isn't even their "fault", and Mitsubishi Canada is to blame by not revealing all the fees on the web-site (though some of the included fees were doubled, and the first dealer told me stories that didn't make any sense like a/c tax on a car without a/c, and that they filled all the fluids as part of their extra PDI which was in addition to the PDI charge included and "this is $300 and they will explain what it is in the finance office!). As it stands I'd drive a long way to get one elsewhere, but the next closest dealer is probably at least 6 hours away.
They tried to charge you for topping off the fluids?! There are no fees that the dealer must pass on to the consumer--everything is negotiable. The dealer has effectively "purchased" the car from the manufacturer, and can sell it to you for whatever price you both agree to. I would find somewhere or something else to buy.

Reply  Post New Thread