Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Forum News & Feedback
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2021, 01:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Gas/Electric Hydrogen battery hybrid on 4wd drive-train

My project is a 1984 Ford Bronco-II that I want to make a hybrid electric by taking advantage of the 4-wheel-drive system that came with the truck originally. I know that there are threads about 4wd systems used as hybrid gas/electric on Eco-modder, but there is more to my question than a standard electric drive, so I am asking for direction from the Eco-modder subscribers.

Since 1984 was before some Eco-modder's time, I better explain that the truck is a small SUV built on the "original" (1980's) Ford Ranger mini-pickup chassis. It is an Automatic 3 speed trans (which is definitely less than optimum) and powered by an ANEMIC 2.8L Cologne V6 (with a whopping 104hp when new). People still want this truck due to fact that the transfer case can be used to allow the drive-train to free-wheel with a selection of N for Neutral on the transfer case shifter, and the Auto Tranny truck can tag along behind an RV Bus without the owner knowing how to operate a stick shift.

I would be better off to use a slightly newer Ranger pickup with manual transmission and 4wd, but I already own the Bronco-II.

What I want to know from the Eco-modders out there is:
  • Can anyone give me info on a DIY Hydrogen battery power system
  • I know the weight on the Hydrogen "Battery" is less than other batteries, but can anyone comment on the size of the components?
  • I forsee a swap of the transmission to a manual for the gasoline part of the hybrid, and an electric motor for the front system on the 4wd. Any suggestions welcome on controls, driveshaft yoked motor placement, battery component placement, etc?

The current state of this project is what Albie Einstein called a "thought experiment" so I have no photos, specs, etc at present.

Thanks

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-02-2021, 02:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Firefly EV - '98 Pontiac Firefly EV
90 day: 107.65 mpg (US)

Little Boy Blue - '05 Toyota Echo
90 day: 33.35 mpg (US)

BlueZ - '19 Nissan 370Z Sport
90 day: 17.19 mpg (US)
Where are you going to get hydrogen from? Fueling station nearby?

I could be wrong, but if you could make a DIY fuel cell, I'd think the auto makers would have mainstreamed them ages ago...if you can find one, I'd suggest harvesting all the parts you need from an existing Hydrogen powered vehicle. If you can find a cheap one, that is.

You'll probably be one of the first doing such a thing...the electrical side has been done, so you'll find plenty of help there, but the hydrogen side of things -- you'll probably be on your own or stumbling through it with minor advice on our part.

If Subaru's came in light, aerodynamic configurations, I would be pursing an AWD battery hybrid as a project. But they aren't, so the heck with that idea.
Old 01-02-2021, 03:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,584 Times in 7,068 Posts
Quote:
• I forsee a swap of the transmission to a manual for the gasoline part of the hybrid, and an electric motor for the front system on the 4wd. Any suggestions welcome on controls, driveshaft yoked motor placement, battery component placement, etc?
I think converting the front axle to electric would be sub-optimal, but since you ask: ecomodder.com: Hot-rodding the Toyota MGR

Optimal would be a complete Tesla drivetrain.

Another suboptimal solution would be an altermotor: ecomodder.com: Controller mods or build for E-assist altermotor

Old 01-02-2021, 06:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I am not sure that there is a fuel depot near me, but the fellow that I read about that uses "Hydrogen Batteries" in the Northeast U.S. uses solar panels to refuel his 2 hydrogen powered cars - both are Toyota Murai sourced from California. The stance you put forward about the automakers main-streaming Hydrogen was also mentioned in the article I read on this guy in the Northeast, who also made several swipes at Elon Musk who criticizes the idea. I think anyone as heavily invested in Lithium Ion batteries as Musk would likely be critical of a lighter alternative.
Old 01-03-2021, 12:28 AM   #5 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
Some folks refer to those HHO generators as a "dry cell", yet they use water to extract the Hydrogen from.

When it comes to actual batteries, as Hydrogen is the most reactive element, I'm not aware of any Hydrogen-based battery pack.
Old 01-03-2021, 08:09 AM   #6 (permalink)
Thalmaturge

The Tinyvan - '07 Honda Fit Sport

Spicy Italian - '13 Fiat 500 Abarth

eBike - '94 Trek Mountain Track 820
I can tell you this project is doomed from the start. You've already chosen to make it extremely over complicated. In addition to the fuel cell you will also need a compact high-power lithium battery pack anyway, as a fuel cell can't put out the amperage to drive a car like that. And the high power charging equipment for fuel cell -> battery. Plus for the cost of a 5KW fuel cell sans tanks or any other hardware, you could literally buy 100 KWh of lithium batteries. And if you're generating the hydrogen at home, why would you use 50% efficient hydrogen generation and then 50% efficient hydrogen usage in the cell to replace a plain BEV that would literally triple the efficiency you're going to get from that round trip? Or buy hydrogen at a commercial refueling station for $16 per gallon gasoline equivalent?
The Following User Says Thank You to samwichse For This Useful Post:
freebeard (01-03-2021)
Old 01-04-2021, 01:48 PM   #7 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Hydrogen as a motor fuel is doomed from the start. Harder and more expensive to handle than any other.
Old 01-04-2021, 03:06 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,584 Times in 7,068 Posts
Quote:
Harder and more expensive to handle than any other.
It's an engineering challenge. But liquid metallic hydrogen has potential. ...as a rocket fuel.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metallic_hydrogen#As_a_rocket_propellant

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDG
Metallic Hydrogen - Is Hydrogen Metal - Popular Mechanics
https://www.popularmechanics.com/sci...llic-hydrogen/
Scientists have used diamond anvils to compress hydrogen into a form they believe is metallic. In Nature, researchers from the French Alternative Energies and Atomic Energy Commission (CEA)...

NASA - Metallic Hydrogen: A Game Changing Rocket Propellant
Search domain http://www.nasa.gov/offices/oct/earl..._hydrogen.html
Atomic metallic hydrogen, if metastable at ambient pressure and temperature could be used as the most powerful chemical rocket fuel, as the atoms recombine to form molecular hydrogen.

What in the World Is Metallic Hydrogen? | Space
https://www.space.com/39370-what-is-...-hydrogen.html
The big fuss is that metallic hydrogen is not a typical metal. Garden variety metals have that special lattice of ions embedded in a sea of free-floating electrons. But a stripped-down hydrogen...

Old 01-09-2021, 12:17 AM   #9 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

You know, the average driver doesn't really want to deal with rocket-science when it comes to a car engine and its maintenance

Reply  Post New Thread