Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2016, 06:40 PM   #61 (permalink)
Road Racer

Pearl - '15 Fiat 500e

SL 500 - '94 Mercedes-Benz SL 500
90 day: 17.75 mpg (US)

Camper Van - '06 PleasureWay Traverse E250
90 day: 16.13 mpg (US)

TownAce - '94 Toyota TownAce
90 day: 18.87 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
At least he found a relatively easy solution to his issue.
He found one answer to one problem. The rest...

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-28-2016, 02:13 AM   #62 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
That HEUI system is a PITA. If you could eventually also keep a fully-mechanical setup to eventually replace it after the EMP it would be a good move. Anyway, what's the transmission fitted to your van? Check if you can find a non-electronic valve body for it too.
Find a fully mechanical engine and fuel system?

Also, IDK what transmission the FORD van has. The successor van is a 2001 FORD E350 with 7.3L diesel engine & 18 MPG. Odds are good it's the most common transmission that is connected to that engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikbrik View Post
Sorry all, didn't read the entire thread but FYI, the 80s and early 90s Dakota used a 3.9 liter v6 with equal dimensions to the 318/360...even same mounts, just chopped off two cylinders. It came with a granny gear 5 speed and nice OD. I'd spend your 2k sourcing and swapping that drivetrain. Keep your 318 brackets and accessories, etc. Just my thoughts on economical and reliable path to 20+ mpg.
Not required now. Thanks for the info though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadRaceJosh View Post
What a thread. Inevitable EMP. Under/over unity. No money for mods, but money for a Diesel Ford van? Nice. The sub $1000 investment is now what?

I don't believe we've been expertly trolled, but have had a glimpse at a "true believer" and that type is far more dangerous.

I used to have a '72 Dodge B300 with a 318 and 4.10 gears. Bad carb, 6 MPG. Rebuilt carb, 11 MPG highway. That $120 investment was recouped in driving Portland to LA and back.

That the OP can't afford to travel the country in the style he wants bothers me not at all. If he really wanted to see the country. I mean really, really had to be on the road he'd fill a pack and start hitching. Shoe leather is highly EMP resistant.
I didn't have money for the diesel FORD, It is financed thanks to parents.

"True Believer"? I don't believe in overunity, I KNOW overunity is possible.

Great for you.

I recommend everybody running on gas to look into vaporizing gasoline. People have reported it as an MPG Multiplier, and I can't see how it can't work using Mainstream Science. Think a 15MPG truck becoming a 50 MPG truck running on fumes through vaporization of the gasoline.

The fuel cost is swallowable now with the 2001 FORD with 18 Highway MPG. I shoudn't have to sip gas on a sore ass or be on somebody elses schedule.

Shoe leather might be EMP-resistant but the cars, trucks and buses that carry hitchhikers aren't!

Think beyond the false limitations imposed through the automakers car design & oil monopoly business-security.
Old 04-28-2016, 02:26 AM   #63 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by oil pan 4 View Post
Easy.
With out a proper earth ground you can't.
What does a proper earth ground on a van/small truck look like? One that ground even when on the highway. I am thinking a small barbell sized wheel connected to a fork that is connected to a 360 degree caster under the van, all metal and capable of conducting electricity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDesign View Post
Paul - I'm a mechanical engineer, so you can trust me. I have like, patents and stuff.
Long post to respond to your thorough post.

Think about and analyze what you are trying to do from an energy balance standpoint - thinking and calculating is free!

First - locomotives are diesel-electric simply to eliminate the extremely torque mechanical connection between a low-speed 3000 hp and the multiple drive axles - far more dependable to have an electric motor in each axle. THERE IS NO EFFICIENCY "GAIN" IN THIS - it's done for reliability and cost - locomotive fuel was a few cents per gallon when they were designed.

I know why they use traction motors instead of mechanical transmission. I didn't know that there was no efficiency gain with it though.

Thanks for all the insight which I chopped out. Not going to try this gas-electric propulsion system but still desire to run on wood.

I read where you looked at buying batteries for the Taurus, and agree that electric is cost prohibitive due to the high cost of batteries. Just watch the electricity prices go up as more people own electric cars.

And Yes, I understand all the pros and cons when it comes to running on wood, including the engine power reduction while burning wood gas.

I am off to create a thread on how to raise the MPG on the 2001 FORD cheaply and easily, as the FORD van is worth investing in.
Old 05-06-2016, 10:34 PM   #64 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,625 Times in 1,450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by debit.servus View Post
Find a fully mechanical engine and fuel system?

Also, IDK what transmission the FORD van has. The successor van is a 2001 FORD E350 with 7.3L diesel engine & 18 MPG. Odds are good it's the most common transmission that is connected to that engine.
Instead of replacing the entire engine, you could eventually turn the current one into all-mechanical. About the transmission, some older Ford transmissions had a similar layout to their electronically-controlled replacements.
Old 05-06-2016, 11:05 PM   #65 (permalink)
Corporate imperialist

Sub - '84 Chevy Diesel Suburban C10
SUV
90 day: 19.5 mpg (US)

camaro - '85 Chevy Camaro Z28

Riot - '03 Kia Rio POS
Team Hyundai
90 day: 30.21 mpg (US)

Bug - '01 VW Beetle GLSturbo
90 day: 26.43 mpg (US)

Sub2500 - '86 GMC Suburban C2500
90 day: 11.95 mpg (US)

Snow flake - '11 Nissan Leaf SL
SUV
90 day: 141.63 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,524 Times in 2,798 Posts
The road doesn't conduct electricity very well.

You need to lean how the 7.3 powerstoke injection system works. There is no replacing it with an all mechanical setup.

Gasoline vaporizers do not increase fuel economy.
If vaporizing fuel worked then propane and natural gas engines would see a large fuel economy advantage over gasoline when comparing BTUs/mile.
I ruled out gasoline vaporizing years ago. Don't waste your time. Lean burn and aero mods are the way to go for gasoline.
Old 05-07-2016, 07:30 AM   #66 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,625 Times in 1,450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oil pan 4 View Post
You need to lean how the 7.3 powerstoke injection system works. There is no replacing it with an all mechanical setup.
The block used in the 7.3 PowerStroke started as a gasser when International introduced it, then an all-mechanical IDI version appeared before the PowerStroke. There might be some timing provision for an all-mechanical injection pump, be it either camshaft-driven or belt-driven.
Old 05-07-2016, 02:51 PM   #67 (permalink)
Corporate imperialist

Sub - '84 Chevy Diesel Suburban C10
SUV
90 day: 19.5 mpg (US)

camaro - '85 Chevy Camaro Z28

Riot - '03 Kia Rio POS
Team Hyundai
90 day: 30.21 mpg (US)

Bug - '01 VW Beetle GLSturbo
90 day: 26.43 mpg (US)

Sub2500 - '86 GMC Suburban C2500
90 day: 11.95 mpg (US)

Snow flake - '11 Nissan Leaf SL
SUV
90 day: 141.63 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,524 Times in 2,798 Posts
The all mechanical 7.3 is stone age compared to the 7.3 powerstroke.
To change over to all mechanical would be easier just to swap in an all mechanical 7.3L. Then good luck figuring out how to wire it.
Old 05-07-2016, 05:49 PM   #68 (permalink)
Banned

2004 CTD - '04 DODGE RAM 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)
Saving on fuel. A TDI Jetta pulling a 19' Airstream is easily in the mid 30s for mpg. Far better comforts than a van. Etc. Thousands of used ones out there. Replace tow vehicle as needed.

I'd stick with the Powerstroke. In an EMP disaster one won't be getting fuel anyways.

Read orbywans threads on a boat tail for his Class C motorhome. (Aero RV . . . ). That's the approach for a commercial van. Freebeard and aerohead both have comments about building foldable aero devices. Store when not in use.

Last edited by slowmover; 05-07-2016 at 05:56 PM..
Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
conversion van, diy electric car, fuel consumption, gas-electric, vandwelling